Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprise, I don't miss Costco

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, if you've got Instacart, you can shop from Costco using AmEx (but I think it's via IC's membership number and not yours, but don't quote me on that).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:10 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
We are cynics, sure, but we are allowed to call out some of the suspicious elements of someone's first post being negative. I will also point out that as of my post, Leonard's user panel says "Last Activity: Yesterday 3:28 pm" which is when this post was made. So he posted this and never came back to see what any of us think.
You know, not everyone is on FT 7x24 ... There are times when I don't get back for a week or two or even months and I have over 1700 posts over 17 years. If he didn't come back in a week or a month it might be something, but less than 24 hours, it proves nothing.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

I break even on Costco on just my prime filet and NY steak purchases.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by txpenny
Correct. In Tejas, Costco cannot deny alcohol sales to a non-member per TABC.
Same in California and with the pharmacy as well
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jimikim
I break even on Costco on just my prime filet and NY steak purchases.
For me, paper towel, toilet paper, pasta, Head and Shoulders, Voltaren and I'm even, after 1 trip.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I’m a happy customer of both companies; they just meet different needs.

For what it is worth the new Costco cash back credit card is incredibly compelling for me spend vs points.
I use US Bank Altitude Reserve at Costco with Samsung or Google Pay for 4.5% on everything, including gas. No Amex was able to match this at Costco in the past, but I was using Amex GCs I bought through a portal, or VGC/MCGC in a debit mode. Visa is better cause there are more choices. I also buy cash cards online with Citi AT&T AM for 3x TYPs.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by LeonardR
Several responses were regarding how I gained access to the store with an expired Costco account. I merely showed the entrance staff my expired card and said I wanted to look around as I was considering renewing and they waived me in. I did not renew.
No need to say anything. I’ve entered numerous times with an expired card—up to 10 years expired, in fact. They just check that you have a card, not that it’s valid. You do need a current membership—or a Costco cash card—to make a purchase (other than the categories other posters have noted).

Sam's Club, at least in my area, no longer requires you to show a card to enter. I believe this changed sometime last year.

Regarding the original topic, I’m glad Costco switched to Visa, as it makes it easier for me to use the credit cards I already have. I’ve been contemplating getting an AmEx card, but haven’t yet convinced myself that it’s worth it.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:33 am

When Costco switched to VISA, I stopped having an Amex card. I really only used it for Costco and for the Amex offers. It was kind of the same with Discover card. When Costco switched from Discover to Amex, I stopped having the Discover card. Our family shopped at Costco/Price Club since the 80's so that habit was hard to break. Even though I buy most of the stuff from Amazon, I still spend about $400 to $500 a month at Costco just on food and random stuff.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:24 pm

Somehow I had never heard about the 15% off service at participating dealers. Mine participates. Thank you for posting and helping me love Costco just a little more.

Originally Posted by Gig103
Costco isn't for everyone I guess. Their travel page alone saves me more than my membership annually - most recently they got my wife an Enterprise rental for $9/day versus her corporate $32/day, and a free upgrade. The CostcoAuto program includes 15% off service at participating dealers, worth $42.75 on the work I had done earlier this month.

I was sad when Costco and Amex's relationship ended, but I manage to still be fans of both companies. Their Citi card is my daily card too, as little as I like to admit it on this forum
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
The AmEx change got me to try Sams in my area last year....and (GASP!) I actually prefer Sams because....

1) The gas pump line is rarely more than one or two deep. Costco is consistently 5-10 cars deep and you better bring a book if you dare try to get Costco gas on a weekend.
2) The "we think you're a thief until you show me your receipt" line at Costco exit doors is always much longer than at Sams.
3) No self checkout at my Costco while Sams has them. I can appreciate those that go to humans because it saves jobs but I want to get the hell outta the store ASAP. Sams self checkouts always saves 5-10 minutes in line vs Costco.
4) No requirement to show a card at entry. Not a big time saver but it's a nuisance when you have to stop and fish in the pocket for the card at Costco.
5) I can use my AmEx!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, EVA Silver
A bit surprised to see such a large discussion over Costco checking membership at the door. I've been to Costco hundreds of times throughout the West Coast, and the only time I've ever been militantly checked for my Costco membership was not in the US (in Taiwan; another Costco benefit: global membership, though there's little reason to buy bulk if you're traveling). I usually preemptively flash my membership card but when I haven't I have never been questioned.

Just buying gas saves me on the membership fees. As others have said, the key is to go during off-peak hours. Lunch usually works quite well.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jamesl
A bit surprised to see such a large discussion over Costco checking membership at the door. I've been to Costco hundreds of times throughout the West Coast, and the only time I've ever been militantly checked for my Costco membership was not in the US (in Taiwan; another Costco benefit: global membership, though there's little reason to buy bulk if you're traveling). I usually preemptively flash my membership card but when I haven't I have never been questioned.

Just buying gas saves me on the membership fees. As others have said, the key is to go during off-peak hours. Lunch usually works quite well.
Anchorage was militant when I was there. Myself, wife, and father-in-law all walked in together (literally side by side b/c my FIL can't see very well). "ONLY ONE GUEST, SIR". So my wife had to get her card out. I was very annoyed by that, because c'mon, what is someone even going to do without a membership?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:23 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
In Canada they check everyone at the door for membership. Don't see what the big deal is about flashing your card.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I've tried to love Costco. I just couldn't do it. For one, it's a hassle most of the time. To get to is about 20 minutes. Getting gas is usually a cluster unless you go the right time of the day. To run in for something quick turns into a longer ordeal. I tried booking my cruise through Costco, and it was no better of a deal. The local grocery store is cheaper. Gas is almost even when I get my discounted gas gift cards (and I don't buy a lot of gas anyway). Electronics are not usually much different. I do like their meats and food court a lot though.

They really don't have a ton of stuff that "can't be beat on price". With that said, I see the appeal for its base. Their everyday prices are pretty good overall. Especially for that wealthier crowd who wants good value for their money, but doesn't want to have to take the time shopping around.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Super Mario
They really don't have a ton of stuff that "can't be beat on price". With that said, I see the appeal for its base. Their everyday prices are pretty good overall. Especially for that wealthier crowd who wants good value for their money, but doesn't want to have to take the time shopping around.
Excluding fuel (which is currently $0.30/gallon cheaper than Fry's/Kroger), I wouldn't always say Costco has the cheapest goods, but would say that you get more for your money going to Costco. $1.19/lb dried pasta isn't a better price than an $0.99/lb box at Walmart, but Costco is selling Garofalo not Barilla / Great Value. You can find way cheaper hot dogs than Hebrew National elsewhere, but if you want HB specifically it's a good price for them. On a larger scale example, I booked a land travel package with Costco Travel (an 'on your own' trip in the UK), and when I priced it out it wasn't cheaper than what I could plan for myself. However, Costco Travel's price included 1st class train tickets and private airport transfers, and a 4* not a 3* hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.