Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR 3rd /4th Free Night - How does it work?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
FHR 3rd /4th Free Night - How does it work?

I've never booked FHR with complimentary free night offers, but I remembered reading that the free night was applied at checked out. However, recently I noticed that these hotels have a separate rate with the free night offer listed and the wording is now "Special Offer: Complimentary third night (included in avg nightly rate). Is that a change? Does that mean that you have to book these rooms in order to get the free night? The other FHR rates don't apply?

What's interesting is that the free night rate is sometimes higher than the non-offer rate x 3 (or 4) then divide by 2 (or 3).

For example, Conrad Seoul 9/9-12, the rate that does not show the complimentary third night is ₩280000. The rate with the 3rd night free is ₩205333. Am I missing something?
Old May 23, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
I've never booked FHR with complimentary free night offers, but I remembered reading that the free night was applied at checked out. However, recently I noticed that these hotels have a separate rate with the free night offer listed and the wording is now "Special Offer: Complimentary third night (included in avg nightly rate). Is that a change? Does that mean that you have to book these rooms in order to get the free night? The other FHR rates don't apply?

What's interesting is that the free night rate is sometimes higher than the non-offer rate x 3 (or 4) then divide by 2 (or 3).

For example, Conrad Seoul 9/9-12, the rate that does not show the complimentary third night is ₩280000. The rate with the 3rd night free is ₩205333. Am I missing something?
The ₩2205333 FHR rate you are seeing includes the 3rd night free. Thus in your example, if you booked 3 nights at the regular nightly rate of ₩280000, you'd pay a total of ₩840000. Since you are getting the 3rd night free booking the FHR rate, you'd pay ₩560000 total for a nightly rate of ₩186000 (i.e., ₩560000/3).

Note that you still have to pay taxes and fees on the free third night which is why the quoted nightly rate on the FHR website is ₩280000 rather than ₩186000.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Statman
The ₩2205333 FHR rate you are seeing includes the 3rd night free. Thus in your example, if you booked 3 nights at the regular nightly rate of ₩280000, you'd pay a total of ₩840000. Since you are getting the 3rd night free booking the FHR rate, you'd pay ₩560000 total for a nightly rate of ₩186000 (i.e., ₩560000/3).

Note that you still have to pay taxes and fees on the free third night which is why the quoted nightly rate on the FHR website is ₩280000 rather than ₩186000.
That's confusing, Why would the 3rd night free average nightly rate ₩2205333 include taxes, but the non-3rd night free rate not include taxes ₩280000. They would either all be inclusive of taxes, or be pre-tax rates.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:48 am

an example is i have 4th night free booked at eden roc cap cana..
The normal rate is $750 a night (plus taxes) the best available rate is 20% off that.
on the FHR site, you can book at the BAR rate ($595) or you can book at the base rate with the 4th night free which shows up as $562 which is 25% off.
so while 4th night free sounds great, in this case i'm only saving 5%

i don't think i've ever seen fhr rates on the website include taxes and fees..
Old May 24, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geoffk
an example is i have 4th night free booked at eden roc cap cana..
The normal rate is $750 a night (plus taxes) the best available rate is 20% off that.
on the FHR site, you can book at the BAR rate ($595) or you can book at the base rate with the 4th night free which shows up as $562 which is 25% off.
so while 4th night free sounds great, in this case i'm only saving 5%

i don't think i've ever seen fhr rates on the website include taxes and fees..
So If you book the BAR, do you get the 4th night deducted at check out? That is you pay $595 *3 for the 4 nights, which averages to $446 instead of $562? Or do you have to book the 4th night free rate

Is this a new change? If it is, then seems like a devaluation of the 3rd/4th night free benefit

Last edited by SP03; May 24, 2018 at 6:47 am Reason: typo
Old May 24, 2018, 10:05 am

So If you book the BAR, do you get the 4th night deducted at check out? That is you pay $595 *3 for the 4 nights, which averages to $446 instead of $562? Or do you have to book the 4th night free rate

Is this a new change? If it is, then seems like a devaluation of the 3rd/4th night free benefit
looking at the website i seems you only get the 4th night free off that rate, not off the BAR.. showing the free night rolled into the price seems to be a new thing on the website.. in previous years it was always taken off at checkout... might have to call and ask

Update: just got off the phone with amex travel, they called the hotel and 4th night is only on the BAR rate as they consider that a promotion and you can't stack them (as expected).. the way this is presented on americanexpressfhr.com is pretty misleading

Last edited by geoffk; May 24, 2018 at 10:22 am Reason: update
Old May 25, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Watergate
I'm always impressed at the lack of basic math and reading comprehension skills...

The FHR site says the free night is included in the nightly rates. That means that the rate they display is the rate per night you're staying, including the night that you are staying for 'free'. Typically you'd expect the '4th night free' rate to be (rate*.75) but, as geoffk points out, the non-discounted rate on the FHR site isn't always the base rate upon which the 4th night discount is based.

In short, if the site says you get a night free that's included in the rate, then just consider the posted rate as the nightly cost for every night of your trip.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardNixon
I'm always impressed at the lack of basic math and reading comprehension skills...

The FHR site says the free night is included in the nightly rates. That means that the rate they display is the rate per night you're staying, including the night that you are staying for 'free'. Typically you'd expect the '4th night free' rate to be (rate*.75) but, as geoffk points out, the non-discounted rate on the FHR site isn't always the base rate upon which the 4th night discount is based.

In short, if the site says you get a night free that's included in the rate, then just consider the posted rate as the nightly cost for every night of your trip.
First of all this was an incredibly rude response. No need to question people's reading or math skills. If the Amex is clearer, then this wouldn't be an question.

Prior to this change, the free 3rd or 4th night was always taken off at check out and the rate you see on the website was the rate you paid. You were not charged a different BAR for the free night.

However, this has been a change. The way it's displayed on FHR site is confusing.
tobikosan likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:17 pm

First of all this was an incredibly rude response. No need to question people's reading or math skills. If the Amex is clearer, then this wouldn't be an question.

Prior to this change, the free 3rd or 4th night was always taken off at check out and the rate you see on the website was the rate you paid. You were not charged a different BAR for the free night.

However, this has been a change. The way it's displayed on FHR site is confusing.
The way the free night is applied has changed, but the method by which it's applied is clearly stated on the website. I don't find it confusing at all. Also, in the past the standard rate applicable for free night promotions can certainly be different from the BAR. It's possible you have never noticed or maybe the BAR and free night rate just happened to be the same for the stays you booked.

How would you suggest Amex communicate the promotional rate more clearly?
Old May 26, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevneerg
The way the free night is applied has changed, but the method by which it's applied is clearly stated on the website. I don't find it confusing at all. Also, in the past the standard rate applicable for free night promotions can certainly be different from the BAR. It's possible you have never noticed or maybe the BAR and free night rate just happened to be the same for the stays you booked.

How would you suggest Amex communicate the promotional rate more clearly?
Maybe I can’t read, but where exactly does it say on the website how the free night is applied?

the FHR website is incredibly vague in fact at showing the cost breakdown for these nights. There is no nightly rate for these offers. It doesn’t show how the taxes will be calculated.

Maybe they think people who book FHR don’t care much about the costs but I would like to know how the cost is calculated to prevent any confusion at the hotel check out.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:49 pm

It clearly states that the complimentary 3rd/4th night free is "included in the avg nightly rate" and right underneath the pricing it says "avg/night."

Agreed that tax is not included, which I also dislike. However, that is not unique to promotional rates. Tax is not included on any of the rates.

Maybe I can’t read, but where exactly does it say on the website how the free night is applied?

the FHR website is incredibly vague in fact at showing the cost breakdown for these nights. There is no nightly rate for these offers. It doesn’t show how the taxes will be calculated.

Maybe they think people who book FHR don’t care much about the costs but I would like to know how the cost is calculated to prevent any confusion at the hotel check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.