Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get My Card Number now

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Get My Card Number now

A friend just applied for the SPG card (based on DOC rumor that signup bonus changing to $200 credit instead of 25,000 SPG points). Received instant approval and was able to immediately get his card number (had to answer a few question) with a temporary lower CL. Is this new?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:19 pm

No, this is standard Amex practice. When you receive your card in the mail and activate it you'll receive your full credit limit.

You can go ahead and add the card to Apple Pay or the digital wallet of your choice and start using it at tap-to-pay terminals immediately. No need to wait for the physical card to arrive.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

I don't ever recall receiving an option to get my card number immediately upon approval.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Troopers
I don't ever recall receiving an option to get my card number immediately upon approval.
Did you ever ask for it immediately upon approval?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Did you ever ask for it immediately upon approval?
Never ever occurred to me to call as I didn't need the card immediately. Also, the option to receive card immediately was online.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
HERE is a report from 2016. It's for the Platinum Card, not SPG.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
When I recently applied for my Delta Gold AmEx, the link to "get your card number now" didn't work. I got an error message saying something about a problem with their systems, and that they would post a $90 credit to my account for the inconvenience.

When I got my card in the mail about a week later, the $90 credit had already posted. I was surprised to see such a generous credit from an automated system.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Troopers
A friend just applied for the SPG card (based on DOC rumor that signup bonus changing to $200 credit instead of 25,000 SPG points). Received instant approval and was able to immediately get his card number (had to answer a few question) with a temporary lower CL. Is this new?
Amex gave me my Plat card number immediately, which was very helpful to me because I signed up for the card to use the IAP and I needed the number to get through the phone tree. This was Jan 2017.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by weaseltown
No, this is standard Amex practice. When you receive your card in the mail and activate it you'll receive your full credit limit.

You can go ahead and add the card to Apple Pay or the digital wallet of your choice and start using it at tap-to-pay terminals immediately. No need to wait for the physical card to arrive.
When Amex gave me the number for my SPG card immediately upon approval I was unable to add it to Google Pay (it would say that the card was not supported). Once I received the physical card (which had a different CVV number from the one I got upon approval) I was able to add it immediately. I believe the expiration date was different as well. Thus, while I was able to use the "immediate" number to make online purchases, I was not able to add it to the mobile wallet. YMMV I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.