Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Canada spending patterns that get you in trouble?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Canada spending patterns that get you in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by marklevison
Since they paid 5 points on a $1 of spend at a Marriott and we assume a point is worth ~$0.0075 then my events cost Visa approx 3.25%.
Your usage didn't cost Visa anything. Chase purchases the points from Marriott, and you can bet they are not paying .75 cents each.

I suspect there are details missing here. I have a colleague with similar spend patterns on the Chase Marriott card for years (sponsored events at Marriott properties) and he's had no issues whatsoever.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot, SPG, Aeroplan
Given all the feedback I got a few weeks ago I applied for and got a business card.
  1. Are they any unwritten rules around their use? This is especially interesting since I wasn't asked my business income but rather my personal income. Unsurprising the business makes more money than its owners.
  2. Interesting thing the original personal card has an insane credit limit (well north of $15K), the business card has a limit of under $10K. Is this normal?
Thanks for any comments
Mark
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... I wasn't asked my business income but rather my personal income. ...
If you applied online for a business card issued by American Express (USA) you were asked for both business and personal income. On the first page of the application is a field titled Annual Business Revenue .

Nonetheless it is true that Business credit cards are issued to individuals, not companies, and the issuer is primarily interested in your personal creditworthiness. You are personally responsible for the debt.

There is no particular relationship between the size of personal and business card credit limits, but there is a maximum amount of credit that American Express will want to extend to any individual.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

@mia - thanks again for the quick reply. Being Canadian I applied in Canada and wasn't asked business income. As long as there no funky, unwritten rules - I will just roll with it, spend a lot on events and see what happens.

Cheers
Mark
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
The only kind of trouble you are going to get from your Amex SPG is if you spend over hundred thousand dollars at a strip club and dispute the charge it. 'Scores' Lawsuit over $241,000 tab settled - Mar. 8, 2006 Amex lets me go over my SPG credit line all the time and I pay in full.
Yes, I didn't realize they still had these stupid credit limits. Got an email from Amex asking me to pay cause I went over. So I did. And it is fine now (I presume)
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:33 pm
mia

....I applied in Canada....
It would have been good if you had mentioned that at the outset, because all of the information and advice in this thread is based on American Express (USA) policies and practices. Canadian market is different.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

@mia Thank you. When I originally posted I had no idea there was a difference that mattered here.
Where should I ask in that case?

Thanks
Mark
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:34 am
mia

I have edited the thread title to mention Canada, and this should attract responses from Canadian members. If not, I will try another approach later in the week.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:44 am

Chase Canada, who issued the Marriott Visa cards, has exited the Canadian market. What most likely happened is that the OP had his card closed because Chase is closing everyone's cards as they leave Canada.
mia and Gasolin like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat premier, Visa Infinite, Amex Plat
This is true. Chase has cancelled all Marriott credit cards in Canada. I went through the same thing last fall. No one would tell me anything.
Just left us hanging.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:31 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
My experience is NOT to pay anyone that is blood related to you (parents, children, relatives) with your AMEX. There are some anti-money laundry rules and tax evasion rules that AMEX take seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.