Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I would count giving rewards, rental insurance, etc., as "giving money" to the customers. All of AMEX's profits don't go to the shareholders.
You need to finish that thought. WHY does Amex (or Citi or Chase or whoever) provide those rewards and benefits to cardholders?

Hint: It's not because their shareholders enjoy dressing up as Santa Claus.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by gooselee
You need to finish that thought. WHY does Amex (or Citi or Chase or whoever) provide those rewards and benefits to cardholders?

Hint: It's not because their shareholders enjoy dressing up as Santa Claus.
If you're going to say, "to encourage cardholders to carry large balances over a long time to earn interest," then sure.. On the other hand, AMEX prefers people pay in full, or at least Chenault did when I was watching an interview on YouTube once about him discussing the financial world. He mentioned the best customers are those who pay their balance in full.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If you're going to say, "to encourage cardholders to carry large balances over a long time to earn interest," then sure.. On the other hand, AMEX prefers people pay in full, or at least Chenault did when I was watching an interview on YouTube once about him discussing the financial world. He mentioned the best customers are those who pay their balance in full.
Nope. Try again. Much simpler than that.

Besides, as I'm sure you'll soon remind all of us, many/most of AMEX's earlier card products back in the good ol' days were charge cards only that didn't allow balances to be carried.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Anything that increases acceptance is a big plus in my book, because the way it is now if there’s anything but zero doubt they take amex, I don’t even try because it really sucks to get the “sorry, only visa and MC” rejection.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
A while back a woman who ran a cafe told me that she did not take AMEX back in the days of swiping. However, she is very happy to take it with the chip, because that lets her off the liability hook, so Amex pays her for the transaction immediately. She finds their interchange be worth it to get the money in her merchant account the same day.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:14 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I would count giving rewards, rental insurance, etc., as "giving money" to the customers. All of AMEX's profits don't go to the shareholders.
The money that goes to customers probably would not fall within the definition of "profit."
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by nnn
The money that goes to customers probably would not fall within the definition of "profit."
The way I would look at it is, AMEX charges one class of customers "card holders" an annual fee for all those insurance packages and lounge access etc. However in all likely-hood it is a lost leader and they hope to make it us by card holders don't leave home without their AMEX card and use it for all their transactions.

They charge the other class of customers "the merchants" an interchange fee, for transaction processing. They make good money on that and use it to subsidize all of these card benefits. They are trying to find the correct balance between margin and volume. Like most business it is tricky ratio to play with.
kyanar likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
The rise of the Chase Sapphire Reserve is the biggest failure of American Express (but not the only). I wanted to like the AMEX Platinum, but it is a weaker card. AMEX has strayed away from a credit card company, and became a benefits company. The benefits are also becoming watered down. I know people who had the Centurion, and even sock drawered it. AMEX had the premium name, had the higher exchange rates (which should have given better rewards), there was no reason why the CSR should have rose to power. To argue that AMEX is widely accepted is laughable. However, the acceptance rate isn't the problem. There is a huge market that would like the Platinum card if it was positioned correctly. Now, they are going to further water down their brand for their loyal followers, while having little to offer that is exclusive.
mikesyr18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.