Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closing AmEx PRG during the first year?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:19 am

Are people recommending keeping the card open for two years (ie. paying one annual fee in the second year since the first year fee is waived) to avoid clawback?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mia
I think there is confusion. If you opened this account within the last month you should pay the fee. If you opened the account last year, and this is the first renewal you can close it now without concern.
Both the PRG and SPG cards have the first AFs waived.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ferric
Are people recommending keeping the card open for two years (ie. paying one annual fee in the second year since the first year fee is waived) to avoid clawback?
No.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ferric
This seems the sensible way to manage it. Or you like to risk something.... If you get 500,000 MR points in your account.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
That's irrelevant. The rule is not about money, it's about time. If you have held a card for a full year you may cancel to avoid the renewal fee.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
That's irrelevant. The rule is not about money, it's about time. If you have held a card for a full year you may cancel to avoid the renewal fee.
Mia, I think you just missed the point of this discussion. It is not if you can or can't. It is about if you should or should not. Some of the AmEx cards have the first year AFs waived. It just looks back to AmEx if you cancel right away and won't pay a single AF.... So the clawback concerns.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:58 am
mia

Mia, I think you just missed the point of this discussion. ....
Nope. I do not know how to make it any clearer. There is no evidence that there is any downside to cancelling to avoid paying the first renewal fee. It makes no difference whether the original annual fee was waived or paid.

Last edited by mia; Mar 16, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Mia, I think you just missed the point of this discussion. It is not if you can or can't. It is about if you should or should not. Some of the AmEx cards have the first year AFs waived. It just looks back to AmEx if you cancel right away and won't pay a single AF.... So the clawback concerns.
I believe Mia's point is simply this: Once you've held a card for at least one year, you may cancel it without any concern for clawbacks by Amex. Full stop.

Note that there is no mention of annual fees anywhere in that sentence. If the card in question had no Annual Fee the first year, you can cancel after paying nothing without worry. As long as you held the card for one year.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Nope. I do not know how to make it any clearer. There is no evidence that there is any downside to cancelling to avoid paying the first renewal fee. It makes no difference whether the original annual fee was waived or paid.
That is what this discussion is about. Like to hear all the voices.... Hope this is the case and we do not risk anything.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
\ I just have no reasons to use this card any more for the MR earning.
You should educate yourself as to how Amex works. There is an offer to add AUs for 5K MRs ea up to 20K.

There are Amex offers throughout the year that can be profitable in earning MRs and cashback.

Taking the SUB (sign up bonus) approach and then dump the card is shortsighted.

Your question was answered three weeks ago and you're stuck on it.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:17 am
mia

The original question asked about closing the card during the first year. That creates a risk of adverse action.

Now, the question is about closing the card when the renewal fee has been billed, which is after the first year. This poses no documented risk.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Okay that was not clear to me yesterday. Understanding now that you've had the card close to a year, my previous statement encouraging you to keep it open is no longer accurate. If you've had the card 10,11,12 months then you should be fine closing it.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
You should educate yourself as to how Amex works. There is an offer to add AUs for 5K MRs ea up to 20K.

There are Amex offers throughout the year that can be profitable in earning MRs and cashback.

Taking the SUB (sign up bonus) approach and then dump the card is shortsighted.

Your question was answered three weeks ago and you're stuck on it.
Thx for the advice. I'm very aware of the AU 5k. And I use AmEx offers from time to time. I surely would not want to keep two PRG cards, the Platinum card, and both SPG personal and business, and more..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.