Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Came back to AMEX after many years, annoyed already! (Better offers after applying.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Came back to AMEX after many years, annoyed already! (Better offers after applying.)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Hello -

I recently got a Plat. Business Amex, because I got a good offer in the mail, 75k bonus after spending 20k over 3 months. I had received an offer before that for 100k, so I contacted AMEX and asked them if they could match it. They had me use a tool on their site that checks for offers, and only the 75k was available. I wasn't in a hurry so I asked if that 100k offer might come around again, and rep told me, very clearly, that there wouldn't be any more offers for months.

I signed up, and about a week later I got an offer for 125k bonus! Annoying. I called in and asked if they could honor it and was told that they likely would, but I would need to wait a few weeks to get confirmation via postal mail. It's disappointing but not a huge deal - I'm not a big spender. About 8k to 15k goes on the card.

But when, less than a month later, I got another offer for 150k points. That really hurt. I do understand that I signed up for the 75k and that they aren't bound to their statement that there won't be any offers. What is really unpleasant is the customer service experience.

The phone calls and chat are useless. I see references to a secure email contact system, but I can't find it. Does it exist?

thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:04 am

Wow. 150k point bonus? Surprised threads aren't showing up with those offers.
Just a note. you put 8-15k on your card, but signed up for a $20k min spend bonus in 3 months?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Klimo
Wow. 150k point bonus? Surprised threads aren't showing up with those offers.
Just a note. you put 8-15k on your card, but signed up for a $20k min spend bonus in 3 months?
Yea that's the best offer I've seen yet. I meant I spend 8k to 15k per month, not total! I spend around 30k in those first 3 months to qualify for the offer.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:12 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Signed up for a 100K offer, and right around when I received the card, I got a 150K offer in the mail. I asked Amex if they would bump me up to the 150K, since it all happened so fast, and they said they would open up a request for me and I would have to wait to hear back. I never heard anything. I checked back a few times over the course of months, and kept getting told the request was still pending. I eventually gave up, since it sounded like they had no intention to give me the extra 50K points. That was really annoying, but certainly within their right to do.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dave-H
... I see references to a secure email contact system, but I can't find it. Does it exist?
No, replaced by the Chat function some years back.

Originally Posted by Klimo
Wow. 150k point bonus? Surprised threads aren't showing up with those offers.?
AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2018 at 11:42 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nnn
Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Signed up for a 100K offer, and right around when I received the card, I got a 150K offer in the mail. I asked Amex if they would bump me up to the 150K, since it all happened so fast, and they said they would open up a request for me and I would have to wait to hear back. I never heard anything. I checked back a few times over the course of months, and kept getting told the request was still pending. I eventually gave up, since it sounded like they had no intention to give me the extra 50K points. That was really annoying, but certainly within their right to do.
Yea, I know I have no recourse. But makes me a little crazy!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Check to see if those two mailers have the "once-in-a-lifetime" language. If not, just get a second one with the increased bonus! An extra 150k! (Potentially)
nnn and forumpersona999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.