Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Have claim, but was not billed for Premium Car Rental Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt

So I used to have a Platinum business card and personal card. I signed up the Premium Rental Insurance on the business card and since the accounts are linked, they applied to both cards.

Now I canceled my business card about two years ago and I remember I went to the Amex site, I thought I had to reselect the coverage, but the site just said that I already selected the option, so there was no need to enroll again.

I noticed that in the past two rentals on my personal card, I was not charged at all for the premium car rental insurance. In fact on the online form it says I can enroll but if I go to the actually site to enroll, it says I'm already enrolled only giving me the option to switch to the $75 coverage option. So I did the switch and stuff just to be sure.

The problem is I had a break-in in the car and am making a claim right now and I called the premium rental number and they seem to be processing a claim right now... I don't want to skimp on paying the $24.95 because frankly I'd rather be paying and be covered rather than them coming back to me and saying I didn't pay making my claim void. What's the best way to address this?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alphaod
So I used to have a Platinum business card and personal card. I signed up the Premium Rental Insurance on the business card and since the accounts are linked, they applied to both cards.

Now I canceled my business card about two years ago and I remember I went to the Amex site, I thought I had to reselect the coverage, but the site just said that I already selected the option, so there was no need to enroll again.

I noticed that in the past two rentals on my personal card, I was not charged at all for the premium car rental insurance. In fact on the online form it says I can enroll but if I go to the actually site to enroll, it says I'm already enrolled only giving me the option to switch to the $75 coverage option. So I did the switch and stuff just to be sure.

The problem is I had a break-in in the car and am making a claim right now and I called the premium rental number and they seem to be processing a claim right now... I don't want to skimp on paying the $24.95 because frankly I'd rather be paying and be covered rather than them coming back to me and saying I didn't pay making my claim void. What's the best way to address this?
Not directly answering your question, but do you own a car? If not, the Amex Platinum card's free "secondary" rental-car insurance will be primary for you, since you would not have any other "collectable" insurance.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not directly answering your question, but do you own a car? If not, the Amex Platinum card's free "secondary" rental-car insurance will be primary for you, since you would not have any other "collectable" insurance.
Yes I have my own insurance for my cars hence I want to avoid the basic "secondary" insurance. I'd rather keep my current record spotless.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I have multiple Amex cards and recently canceled the one that had the premium car rental insurance charged to it. I got a letter in the mail from Amex a couple of weeks later, informing me that because of the cancelled card, the premium insurance was cancelled as well, unless I switched it to another card.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I never received such a letter and interestingly when I went to the site to enroll it said I was already enrolled. I didn't even noticed I wasn't paying the $24.95 for $100k coverage each rental (I've some 20 rentals this year so far) until I was making this claim.

Anyways it seems the claim is still in progress, so I'm not sure if I should call to tell them to charge me or will that get my claim denied immediately.

After noticing this problem, I went to the enroll site which still says I cannot enroll (because I'm supposed to already enrolled) and I switched to the $75k option and then immediately switched back to the $100k option, hopefully it reflects this in the back end because I'll still be renting cars a couple more times this year.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a similar sitiation - one of amex cards was canceled and now amex doesnt seem to charge premiums for coverage.
i called twice their insurance folks and they assured me that i was protected as long as i put the rental on amex.. no idea what to think of this..
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

It seems after some fudging around with the website (switching to the 75k coverage and then back to the 100k coverage immediately), I got retroactively charged for two previous rentals which covered the one that I'm doing a claim for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.