Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEx Scores a Starwood Win as Marriott Opts for Dual Issuers AmEx and JPMorgan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Scores a Starwood Win as Marriott Opts for Dual Issuers AmEx and JPMorgan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Majuki
The regular AmEx Platinum gives SPG Gold, so I would assume a similar offer with a card in the ~$500 annual fee range.
I'm thinking if they charge $500 a year they'll give Platinum seeing the non=branded American Express Platinum already gives gold plus a lot more benefits and the Hilton card that will be $450 gives top tier plus a free night and resort and airline credit. Or if they are only going to give SPG gold I'm hoping the annual fee will be around $150 seeing Hilton gives out gold status plus a free night for $95 a year.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
... only going to give SPG gold I'm hoping the annual fee will be around $150 ....
Based on the article in post #1 there will be three card levels, with Chase issuing the Low and Medium priced versions and Amex issuing the High and Business versions. I wouldn't expect these cards to be issued while SPG still exists, and we don't know how many elite tiers the new Marriott program will have, but I expect it will be more than three.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
I'm assuming that at some point (maybe late 2018 or early 2019) both Amex and Chase will stop offering their current SPG or Marriott cards. At which point there will likely be no Chase equivalent to the current Ritz Carlton Card and no Amex equivalent to the current personal SPG card. It's possible they may agree to swap portfolios and do a product change, or the issuers could retain those customers and transition them to cards with similar annual fees and benefits that aren't available to new applicants.
Have there ever been any portfolio swaps recently with other cards/issuers? I don't recall there being any but I could have missed one.

Assuming Chase and AmEx don't swap, the currently available US cards with the same AF as the SPG card (also assuming that a PC to another company's co-brand card is out of the question) are the BCP, Green and EDP. PRG is also possible if AmEx is willing to go a bit higher on the AF. Of course, there are significant differences with all of those compared to SPG/Marriott, so it's very possible a brand new card product would have to be created.

Another option is to transition the current SPG cardholders to the new high-end Marriott card but grandfather them on the current AF for some period of time. I'm not sure AmEx would be willing to do this, however.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Have there ever been any portfolio swaps recently with other cards/issuers? I don't recall there being any but I could have missed one.

Assuming Chase and AmEx don't swap, the currently available US cards with the same AF as the SPG card (also assuming that a PC to another company's co-brand card is out of the question) are the BCP, Green and EDP. PRG is also possible if AmEx is willing to go a bit higher on the AF. Of course, there are significant differences with all of those compared to SPG/Marriott, so it's very possible a brand new card product would have to be created.

Another option is to transition the current SPG cardholders to the new high-end Marriott card but grandfather them on the current AF for some period of time. I'm not sure AmEx would be willing to do this, however.
Has there been a two-way portfolio swap? No. But a one-way portfolio swap is current in progress: the merger of Citi HH products into the Amex HH line, which does involve automatic PC to another company's co-brand card (for example, most Citi HH Reserve card owners are being converted to the new Amex HH Ascend card).

Meanwhile, if not PC to Amex business card, what is Chase going to do with Marriott Business cards (of which I just got one, because it's the only Marriott program card that's not subject to 5/24 at Chase)? Chase can't PC business cards to non-business cards AFAIK, so are they really going to convert them to Freedom (as is their usual habit of forced PCs of discontinued Chase cards? Or in this case because they're business cads, will they PC them to some sort of Ink?

Green and PRG are charge cards. Does Amex ever allow/do product conversions between credit cards and charge cards??? (I would assume not, but I don't know for sure.)

One possibility is that Amex will offer personal SPG Amex cardholders an opportunity to upgrade their card to the High version, and if the user doesn't want it, the user has to choose what to PC it to if they don't want it cancelled on them. Another possibility (that I think was already mentioned upthread) is that existing cards might be treated differently than new accounts (ie, Amex might be able to PC SPG personal Amex to a medium Amex that they can't accept new applications for).

So the speculation about what can happen hardly has limits on it. But it's likely to be a good part of the year before we know any specifics, so everything up until then (beyond the announcement) is nothing but speculation.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Has there been a two-way portfolio swap? No. But a one-way portfolio swap is current in progress: the merger of Citi HH products into the Amex HH line, which does involve automatic PC to another company's co-brand card (for example, most Citi HH Reserve card owners are being converted to the new Amex HH Ascend card).
Amex Costco -> Visa (Citi) Costco comes to mind, also.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Marriott has historically been very good at protecting Platinum status (requiring insane amount of CC spend to even get comp Platinum) and I don't see any indication of that changing anytime soon.

Hilton is much more liberal at giving away status.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Based on the article in post #1 there will be three card levels, with Chase issuing the Low and Medium priced versions and Amex issuing the High and Business versions. I wouldn't expect these cards to be issued while SPG still exists, and we don't know how many elite tiers the new Marriott program will have, but I expect it will be more than three.
Hopefully the new cards will be 5/24 exempt. Question now is should we cancel our current Marriott and SPG cards to avoid PC with no chance of bonus
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Just who is the target market for the Amex card? This card seems likes it's a day late and a dollar short with CSR and the similar Amex cards already in the marketplace.

It's not like I need two Global Entry reimbursements or Priority Pass cards.

The hardcore SPG and MR members likely already have annual or lifetime status. They also likely already have Chase Marriott or Amex SPG cards.

A huge bonus would get my attention, but they'll need a stronger (and different) package of ongoing member benefits to keep folks around.

We'll see soon enough and I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Hopefully the new cards will be 5/24 exempt. Question now is should we cancel our current Marriott and SPG cards to avoid PC with no chance of bonus
Wait until the new cards are announced.

Originally Posted by 1120
Just who is the target market for the Amex card? This card seems likes it's a day late and a dollar short with CSR and the similar Amex cards already in the marketplace.
A huge bonus would get my attention, but they'll need a stronger (and different) package of ongoing member benefits to keep folks around.

We'll see soon enough and I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.
The target market will be those who have relatively high discretionary spending and likes staying in Marriott/Starwood hotels. If you see the new AMEX Hilton premium card its very attractive for those who do spend quite few nights at Hilton... $250 airline fee credit, $250 Hilton resort credit, free weekend night certificate (valid at almost all hotels), $100 on property credit at WA/Conrad with Aspire package, and 14x points per $1 spent at Hiltons.

Those are very attractive to those who stays at Hiltons, including current Diamonds. I am positive AMEX will come up with one that has a strong value proposition for the Marriott/Starwood customer base.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Wait until the new cards are announced.

The target market will be those who have relatively high discretionary spending and likes staying in Marriott/Starwood hotels. If you see the new AMEX Hilton premium card its very attractive for those who do spend quite few nights at Hilton... $250 airline fee credit, $250 Hilton resort credit, free weekend night certificate (valid at almost all hotels), $100 on property credit at WA/Conrad with Aspire package, and 14x points per $1 spent at Hiltons.

Those are very attractive to those who stays at Hiltons, including current Diamonds. I am positive AMEX will come up with one that has a strong value proposition for the Marriott/Starwood customer base.
I think (hope?) you're on the right track here. There has to be a compelling value proposition for people like me that squarely fit your listed criteria regarding discretionary spending and desire to stay in their hotels.

Otherwise, I'll stick with CSR for discretionary spend other than picking off things like 35K Amex SPG bonuses.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I hope it does. I'm an existing Platinum, and remaining so via the card (until I make Lifetime Platinum) is easy and relatively inexpensive.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Marriott has historically been very good at protecting Platinum status (requiring insane amount of CC spend to even get comp Platinum) and I don't see any indication of that changing anytime soon.
Except for people on flyertalk, who can get Marriott Platinum for under $400/year without any stays.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Except for people on flyertalk, who can get Marriott Platinum for under $400/year without any stays.
True - but a minuscule number of people gaming this through manufactured spend or conference room bookings. It's a lot of effort.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:10 pm

As long as AMEX Plat continues to comp Marriott Gold, I'm good (heck, at $550 AF, that's the least they could do, ya think?).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
How much can you really devalue a $95 annual fee card that earns 1 point per dollar? The bigger question is what happens to the SPG program post 2018 when Marriott eventually combines the programs, and the knock on effect that has on the card

If I had to hazard a guess, it might resemble the forthcoming Hilton Ascend card. I also think that differentiation, looks like maybe the Marriott Biz card is the only one that doesn't fit the new split if Chase will only offer consumer products.
The Hilton Ascend card is also what I thought of when I saw "super premium”. I’m hoping there’s a little more general benefit from the card then the Hilton, but as long as it’s equal to the Hilton that might be a nice option. The point multiplier is really nice and the free night anywhere is great, but the resort statement credit is kinda useless (at least for me, and probably a lot of other people that mainly state at city properties). If this card either had two free nights, a free night plus a “$100 or $200 allowance” that could be applied to the end hotel bill (including night charge) or even just a incidental allowance that could be applied to anything charged to the room, that might be on my radar.I pretty much do a yearly trip down to the LA area for Universal’s Halloween Horror nights, so a free night at any property (I assume Starwood hotels, i.e. the Sheraton, would be included) is ~$230 or so benefit right there. Give me a boat load of points for the second or third night I’m staying plus let me eat into an allowance for drinks at night or something and that would basically be a guaranteed easily used benefit for me :PI wonder if they would also award the highest hotel status with the card, or if you would just be gold or something like the Amex platinum gets you. Speaking of which, I wonder if that benefit might disappear if they want to target this new card as a “hotel geared card” and the platinum as a “travel” card (airport, etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.