Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Small Business Saturday 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
So how is small business Saturday useful...?
It doesn't seem to be useful to me personally.

I see AMEX is doing their usual stunt of offering less and less in terms of card member perks as each year passes. Can't wait for Chenault to leave.
So perhaps if you patronize a small business on "small business Saturday", pull out a Visa or Mastercard. Or, if you think you don't get the value (perks?) anymore to justify holding an Amex card, stop using it altogether and/or cancel it.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So perhaps if you patronize a small business on "small business Saturday", pull out a Visa or Mastercard. Or, if you think you don't get the value (perks?) anymore to justify holding an Amex card, stop using it altogether and/or cancel it.
I don't care that much either way. I use AMEX for the increased protections.

I'm just excited to see an new CEO finally come in. Hopefully he won't sit on his hands like Chenault has for the last few years, while networks who charge less and share more money with banks catch up or surpass the rewards AMEX offers to their customers.

I think it's a little stupid that AMEX started out by giving some nice perks during small business Saturday, and then slowly made the perks less valuable every year, until now, this year, we finally have none. What advantage is there to small business Saturday now? Cardholders won't have a reason to use their AMEX at a small business, and small businesses won't change their mindset on accepting AMEX if they haven't already.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I think it's a little stupid that AMEX started out by giving some nice perks during small business Saturday, and then slowly made the perks less valuable every year, until now, this year, we finally have none. What advantage is there to small business Saturday now? Cardholders won't have a reason to use their AMEX at a small business, and small businesses won't change their mindset on accepting AMEX if they haven't already.
Maybe they simply achieved their goal of greater penetration of the small business market and have less of an incentive to throw additional money at this initiative?

Or maybe they discovered that the program, as run in the past, didn't meet their goals, so they cut back the budget for "free money for card holders" and made it a low-budget marketing event only.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I actually saw a Small Business Saturday ad on TV recently. I don't remember any audio though (restaurant or wherever I saw it muted the TV, perhaps?). I imagine something like that isn't too inexpensive for AmEx to do.

Personally, I'm okay with more MR/SPG points, assuming that's what ends up happening this year. Statement credits tend to have requirements that can be harder to meet.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

This year I had an Amex offer in my Personal Platinum that gave me 1000 points for spending $20 at a small business for Shop Small. It posted as "Shop Small MR Offer." I believe the expiration for that offer was 11/05/17.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by halamadrid
...I had an Amex offer in my Personal Platinum that gave me 1000 points for spending $20 at a small business for Shop Small. It posted as "Shop Small MR Offer." I believe the expiration for that offer was 11/05/17.
It's odd that you received a small business offer that expired well before the official small business Saturday.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tmiw
I actually saw a Small Business Saturday ad on TV recently. I don't remember any audio though (restaurant or wherever I saw it muted the TV, perhaps?). I imagine something like that isn't too inexpensive for AmEx to do.

Personally, I'm okay with more MR/SPG points, assuming that's what ends up happening this year. Statement credits tend to have requirements that can be harder to meet.
This is what my Amex website page shows when I'm logged in today:

Originally Posted by Amex
Shop where you live. Love where you shop.The countdown begins to support Small Business Saturday® on Nov 25.
So there is something on November 25, 2017.

Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
:
So there is something on November 25, 2017.

Indeed, and it has a website, but this year there is no mention of bonus rewards for shopping at small businesses.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ss/shop-small/

Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Indeed, and it has a website, but this year there is no mention of bonus rewards for shopping at small businesses.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ss/shop-small/
And thus (if something doesn't change between now and then), I'm not going to use Amex at any small businesses that day. If I shop at small businesses that day, I'll make a point of using a different card.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
This year I had an Amex offer in my Personal Platinum that gave me 1000 points for spending $20 at a small business for Shop Small. It posted as "Shop Small MR Offer." I believe the expiration for that offer was 11/05/17.
I received this as well, but recall the end date being ~10/31. Points haven't posted; T&C say it may take 90 days.

UPDATE: I see that the points posted in the last day or two. ^

Last edited by beltway; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:53 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And thus (if something doesn't change between now and then), I'm not going to use Amex at any small businesses that day. If I shop at small businesses that day, I'll make a point of using a different card.
That would be silly. We should be grateful for the hundreds $ in past SBS freebies we collected. I'm certainly disappointed that this particular stream of freebies has come to an end. But any sense of entitlement or resentment would be grossly inappropriate.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
That would be silly. We should be grateful for the hundreds $ in past SBS freebies we collected. I'm certainly disappointed that this particular stream of freebies has come to an end. But any sense of entitlement or resentment would be grossly inappropriate.
It's not silly to me, because it's less work. I would have to actually plan to use an Amex to use an Amex. See, only a fraction of the cards in my wallet are Amex cards. Amex Everyday I only use for groceries, but i only buy groceries at chain stores (Trader Joes, Ralphs [Kroger], and Whole Foods [Amazon ]), none of which are small businesses. SPG Amex I only use for marriott stays. Hilton Amex I only use for Hilton stays. This month I'm using my US Bank LATAM Visa (because of a targeted promo) for restaurants, and so I'm not going to shift to Amex just because it's Small Business Saturday yet no bonus from Amex.

So I'd have to consciously decide to use an Amex rather than something else on Saturday, and it just seems pointless. It's just like any other day, from a card usage perspective, for me. Why should I reach for a different card this coming Saturday than last Saturday?
notquiteaff and Seabilly like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:41 am

It's not silly to me, because it's less work. I would have to actually plan to use an Amex to use an Amex. See, only a fraction of the cards in my wallet are Amex cards. Amex Everyday I only use for groceries, but i only buy groceries at chain stores (Trader Joes, Ralphs [Kroger], and Whole Foods [Amazon ]), none of which are small businesses. SPG Amex I only use for marriott stays. Hilton Amex I only use for Hilton stays. This month I'm using my US Bank LATAM Visa (because of a targeted promo) for restaurants, and so I'm not going to shift to Amex just because it's Small Business Saturday yet no bonus from Amex.

So I'd have to consciously decide to use an Amex rather than something else on Saturday, and it just seems pointless. It's just like any other day, from a card usage perspective, for me. Why should I reach for a different card this coming Saturday than last Saturday?
If that was your sentiment (and not spite), I can get behind it as well. SBS was a great extended promo. It has run its course and ended. Cardboard displays don't really count for much. So the day requires no special consideration at all. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any unnecessary shopping during the whole "month of consumption" due to the stress and waste it generates.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If that was your sentiment (and not spite), I can get behind it as well. SBS was a great extended promo. It has run its course and ended. Cardboard displays don't really count for much. So the day requires no special consideration at all. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any unnecessary shopping during the whole "month of consumption" due to the stress and waste it generates.
Yes, I didn't mean spite, I meant without a promo, Amex can't make me pull out their card (if I wasn't going to use it anyway). It's only the promo that made me use Amex cards on previous Small Business Saturdays. In fact, for several years it was also Small Business Saturday which was the only activity on my Blue card (keeping it from being cancelled due to inactivity, and that inactivity being due to the "crippled" version of Membership Rewards that it had), but that has since been converted to an Everyday card which I use more than half the days of the month .
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
From all I've heard, there doesn't seem to be any deals or extra MR points this year for small business saturday. Last year I got 2x points on almost all my dining/bar/local shops spending. I guess this year Amex doesn't care to give anything at all. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.