Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex CEO Chenault stepping down

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Amex CEO Chenault stepping down

Chenault being replaced by Stephen Squeri, who previously ran its division in charge of corporate cards.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...358151?tesla=y

(Subscription required)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bloomberg story (no subscription):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hairman-squeri

Chenault, 66, will stay on until Feb. 1,...The company’s share price has climbed 91 percent since Chenault took over as CEO, compared with the 9.9 percent advance of the S&P 500 Financials Index.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:39 pm

Wonder if Chenault is going to send an "advance team" to see which way he is going to exit the building like he did with Costco Corporate. Wonder if he is going to plan a Presidential library. Unbelievable arrogance is all I have to say.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Hopefully we see some good change from this. I always thought AMEX should of kept the Platinum as-is (mainly perks) and introduced a seperate line for strong points earning (with minimal perks). That would help them compete against Chase better.

However, I'd love to see a strong points and perks card, even if it were 950/yr. I don't know how big that market is though.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by JHake10
Hopefully we see some good change from this. I always thought AMEX should of kept the Platinum as-is (mainly perks) and introduced a seperate line for strong points earning (with minimal perks). That would help them compete against Chase better.

However, I'd love to see a strong points and perks card, even if it were 950/yr. I don't know how big that market is though.
Same, I would happily pay for a single card that does it all, and I think other people share that sentiment.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: Asiamiles, OZ Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
About freaking time
jonathanbak likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
However, I'd love to see a strong points and perks card, even if it were 950/yr.
Agreed. As much as part of me appreciates the relatively low net AF cost of the Platinum, that low net fee and especially the churnable no-AF first year Ameriprise card allows way too many people to justify the cost and have access to the benefits, namely the Centurion Lounges.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:17 pm

Reading "between the lines", I think Chenault fought to stay on longer than the board wanted him to. He wanted to leave while things were going well, and the stock has certainly rebounded nicely. I say this because customarily the outgoing CEO would stay on for awhile as chairman. I'm fairly certain Mr. Chenault's predecessor did.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I'd rather see them drop Uber and offer trip interruption/cancellation insurance for the $550 AF. It's pretty lame that a bank that owns an insurance company can't offer this perk on even one of their top travel cards in the USA. When not booking with Plat travel, I use my Costco Citi card which offers this insurance plus 3% cash back.
notquiteaff and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd rather see them drop Uber and offer trip interruption/cancellation insurance for the $550 AF. It's pretty lame that a bank that owns an insurance company can't offer this perk on even one of their top travel cards in the USA. When not booking with Plat travel, I use my Costco Citi card which offers this insurance plus 3% cash back.
I can get behind that. The Platinum should continue to be a steong benefits card. This would include all the insurance perks (even primary rental).

The strong point earnings and Uber credits can be a seperate line of cards (to compete with the CSR). As mentioned above, I'd take a card that had it all, even for a higher fee. We'll see.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:14 am

However, I'd love to see a strong points and perks card, even if it were 950/yr.
Agreed, the addition of the uber benefit made no sense to me (even though im an ubering millennial). just felt like a hookey "im cool for millennial" consultant pitch
jonathanbak and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I agree. I think the Uber perk is useless, I'd much rather see primary rental insurance and travel insurance offered for free instead. All other premium cards offer the interruption/cancellation insurance and primary rental insurance. For 550 dollars AF they should offer that. Honestly, I haven't even used the uber perk, so I am spending 100 dollars more a year for something I may only use once a year.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
It's pretty lame that a bank that owns an insurance company can't offer this perk on even one of their top travel cards in the USA. When not booking with Plat travel, I use my Costco Citi card which offers this insurance plus 3% cash back.
I'm pretty sure most of us feel this way. I don't even take advantage of the Plat's 5X points on airfare because I want the included travel insurance provided by other cards I have.

But many have long suspected that it is in fact the reason that Amex separately sells travel insurance that is precluding it from being included with the Plat/Centurion.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by dw
I'm pretty sure most of us feel this way. I don't even take advantage of the Plat's 5X points on airfare because I want the included travel insurance provided by other cards I have.

But many have long suspected that it is in fact the reason that Amex separately sells travel insurance that is precluding it from being included with the Plat/Centurion.
A likely explanation, except who is buying travel insurance from Amex? I'm not being facetious I have never even thought to look them up when buying trip insurance; do they even sell to the public or are they reunderwriting from the cruise lines, Travelguard, etc?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
A likely explanation, except who is buying travel insurance from Amex? I'm not being facetious I have never even thought to look them up when buying trip insurance; do they even sell to the public or are they reunderwriting from the cruise lines, Travelguard, etc?
Well hopefully with the new CEO thing's will get better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.