Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why the buzz at Menendez trial turned to AMEX points and lofty rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA S, Marriott P

I am sure a funny read for FT`ers
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...art_river_home
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
650k for 3 nights at a Park Hyatt... 134k for a grill... and we trust these dudes to spend our actual money...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dsauch
A Weber Genesis grill or a night or two at the Park Hyatt Paris? I think I'd go for the grill too.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by javabytes
650k for 3 nights at a Park Hyatt... 134k for a grill... and we trust these dudes to spend our actual money...
FHR benefit didn't include 4 nights for the price of 3 nights?

If the Florida guy or the NJ guy asked for advice here, they may have found a way to get four nights at that hotel for well less than 650,000 Amex points. It might not get you a suite, but it would at least get you a room at the place.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

probably 99% of people use points as cashback

with amex charge cards, many have charge instead of cashback credit for spending ability
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Gary from VFTW had a good write up on this

• Senator Menendez promised to reimburse the donor for the 650,000 points used to pay for 3 nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome
  • He was going to use his own Amex points once he accrued them. However American Express Vice President Andrew Thomas testified that “[i]t would have taken the New Jersey senator 30 years to acquire that many points based on the rate he was accumulating them”
  • He had only 58,000 points in his Membership Rewards account at the time.
  • Menendez redeemed 135,000 points “to purchase a high-end grill in 2013.” It’s unclear whether the grill was for himself or given to the donor. But three years later that means he had accumulated at least 25,000 points per year.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....d-amex-points/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.