Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:09 pm

maybe your bonus for upgrading to the Premier Plus is viewed as a "Welcome" bonus.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maracle
I want to apply for an SPG Business AmEx, but I'm getting a message that I'm not eligible for the welcome offer.
Even for non-SPG cards, there are at least two different messages you can get when you're not eligible for the welcome offer. There may be a third for SPG. So you have to explain which message you got (ie, what reasons it stated that you were not eligible)?

One of those (two or more) messages has nothing to do with Marriott/SPG history, and has to with Amex history in general. So that's why you have to specify which message you got.

Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Jan-Mar 2017 I got an upgrade offer for gold to plat biz. Also got a new app bonus for plat biz (must’ve been before upgrade). I canceled both after the next AF hit a year later. Next Amex I applied for was Blue Plus Biz last spring and was instantly approved. I also have a DL personal and an SPG biz and an AU plat. I’d like to apply for the new version of the personal gold and intend to keep it long term. But now I am paranoid about Amex. I don’t MS or churn but if they are closing accounts for being canceled at the one year mark that does give me pause.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
... I’d like to apply for the new version of the personal gold and intend to keep it long term. But now I am paranoid about Amex. I don’t MS or churn but if they are closing accounts for being canceled at the one year mark that does give me pause.
Applying for the new Gold and keeping it long term should not put you at risk of a shutdown. You may want to monitor this thread to learn about activities that actually resulted in cancelled accounts.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:39 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
....if they are closing accounts for being canceled at the one year mark that does give me pause.
I see reports of bonuses retracted or denied, but not closed accounts due to early cancellation or downgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia
I see reports of bonuses retracted or denied, but not closed accounts due to early cancellation or downgrade.
Speaking of which.....new report on another forum today of someone who cancelled their AMEX Green card and their AMEX BGR after the first anniversary fees hit; both bonuses were "clawed back."

This person detailed that meeting the MSR on both cards was mostly due to MS at giftcardmall.com so perhaps not surprising (though bonus clawbacks after a year is eye opening.) Forewarned is forearmed.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Speaking of which.....new report on another forum today of someone who cancelled their AMEX Green card and their AMEX BGR after the first anniversary fees hit; both bonuses were "clawed back."

This person detailed that meeting the MSR on both cards was mostly due to MS at giftcardmall.com so perhaps not surprising (though bonus clawbacks after a year is eye opening.) Forewarned is forearmed.
Scary stuff. I have the BGR with 50k bonus and first year waived annual fee. I put a few hundred in monthly expenses on it but mainly got it for sign up bonus. No MS and have only bought a few GC's a gas stations for 3x points. If I cancel at end of first year do you think Amex could claw back points or black list me? This is my first Amex card and only Amex card so I don't want to burn any bridges with them.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Scary stuff. I have the BGR with 50k bonus and first year waived annual fee. I put a few hundred in monthly expenses on it but mainly got it for sign up bonus. No MS and have only bought a few GC's a gas stations for 3x points. If I cancel at end of first year do you think Amex could claw back points or black list me? This is my first Amex card and only Amex card so I don't want to burn any bridges with them.
At this point I wouldn't be worried about it. The DP shared by the previous poster is the first I've seen of a bonus clawback for canceling after the first year. Unless we see more DPs I'm going to assume the poster of that DP made a mistake, AMEX made a mistake, or it's an odd anomaly.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyguy6
My opinion is that you wouldn't have anything to worry about by cancelling after the first year; I - and many others - have done same without repercussion.

The person who chronicled their bonus clawbacks was pretty clear that he thought the amount of MS, specifically at GCM, was the reason. Additionally, that person had called into retention in an attempt to secure further offers on each card, prior to closing them. (So human eyes on the account.)

The general consensus on the other forum is that the MS is what caused the clawbacks.
Statman, Robl and flyguy6 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:36 pm

Sorry if this question in the wrong thread. I have recently got Hilton Aspire using Plat self-referral (15K points posted). Plan to get Ascend now. Any risk of doing self-referral again? Anyone has done it more than twice without the consequences?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by zmicer88
Sorry if this question in the wrong thread. I have recently got Hilton Aspire using Plat self-referral (15K points posted). Plan to get Ascend now. Any risk of doing self-referral again? Anyone has done it more than twice without the consequences?
you can refer yourself? I thought that didn't work since you have to refer the same product...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:01 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dascc
.... I thought that didn't work since you have to refer the same product...
It didn't, but the American Express USA referral program has recently changed, and the referral offer is no longer for a single product.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: several:)
welcome bonus taken

I had an Amex Business Gold for <1yr (opened Blue Business Plus since then) - and now Amex wants to take my welcome bonus away because I had it for less than a year. Would reinstating the card and asking them to reinstate the MR points get me the welcome bonus back?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bengggggg
I had an Amex Business Gold for <1yr (opened Blue Business Plus since then) - and now Amex wants to take my welcome bonus away because I had it for less than a year. Would reinstating the card and asking them to reinstate the MR points get me the welcome bonus back?
That doesn't make any sense they would want the sign up bonus back because you didn't held the card for a year. I don't think there's anything in the T&C that states that. I've had closed an Amex MR card w/in 6 months and sign up bonus was in tack. Were any of your spending to meet the spend requirements suspicious?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
That doesn't make any sense they would want the sign up bonus back because you didn't held the card for a year. I don't think there's anything in the T&C that states that. I've had closed an Amex MR card w/in 6 months and sign up bonus was in tack. Were any of your spending to meet the spend requirements suspicious?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.