FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 am
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyguy6
Scary stuff. I have the BGR with 50k bonus and first year waived annual fee. I put a few hundred in monthly expenses on it but mainly got it for sign up bonus. No MS and have only bought a few GC's a gas stations for 3x points. If I cancel at end of first year do you think Amex could claw back points or black list me? This is my first Amex card and only Amex card so I don't want to burn any bridges with them.
My opinion is that you wouldn't have anything to worry about by cancelling after the first year; I - and many others - have done same without repercussion.

The person who chronicled their bonus clawbacks was pretty clear that he thought the amount of MS, specifically at GCM, was the reason. Additionally, that person had called into retention in an attempt to secure further offers on each card, prior to closing them. (So human eyes on the account.)

The general consensus on the other forum is that the MS is what caused the clawbacks.