Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No price protection? (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
No price protection? (USA)

Last year I bought a Kindle a week before Amazon "Prime Day" on my Discover card, and got the screenshot during the sale window and submitted (and was approved) for price protection. $30 back

Fast forward a year, and because of the Amex Offer for 2000 MR if you spend $50 on Amazon, I was going to use one of my cards for a Fire Stick (which I expect will go on sale during Prime Day next month). But I did my homework first and was surprised that, if anything happens in the first 90 days (damage, etc) it's covered, but NOT price protection like from Citi or Discover.

No big deal, but did Amex used to offer this and drop it? Or did they never have it and I was confused?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Benefit was called Best Value Guarantee, discontinued ~2006.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:09 am

You could use return protection to return it and buy it again I suppose.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
yup, i remember that from 10+ years ago!

up until recently, amazon would refund me for price differences within 30 days. then it became 15 days or so, then only TVs, and now i think they no longer do it but may be worth a shot asking, especially if you are a decent volume buyer.

amazon used to also be very flexible in taking returns. now their system wont let you process the return if its over 30 days but you can still do it by contacting them.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
Thanks Mia. My first Amex was in 2004, which might be why I thought we had that offering.

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
True, but that's a lot of hassle. I'll continue to use my Costco Visa Anywhere card.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
likely a creative way to get you blacklisted by the vendor and perhaps by AMEX's 'return protection' benefit administrator.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by smith16john
likely a creative way to get you blacklisted by the vendor and perhaps by AMEX's 'return protection' benefit administrator.
i don't think so. there is an annual cap on the return protection. not like it can be done too often. if the price savings was substantial, i would consider doing it if it was ineligible for return to the seller.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by mysterym
i don't think so. there is an annual cap on the return protection. not like it can be done too often. if the price savings was substantial, i would consider doing it if it was ineligible for return to the seller.
Might be safer to just use a card that actually offer price protection if the downside risk of price is substantial.

Being forced a return because the CC company threatens to charge back? I don't think most vendors (that don't already have a good enough relationship with you to adjust the price directly following the drop in pricing) would have much tolerance for that, regardless of the cap.

But just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Being a card that's supposed to provide more protections than all of the other banks/issuers, I am surprised AMEX doesn't have price protection anymore, but have noticed this previously.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Being a card that's supposed to provide more protections than all of the other banks/issuers, I am surprised AMEX doesn't have price protection anymore, but have noticed this previously.
Another area where AMEX has slipped a bit especially in the Plat card vs. their two major competitors. Both CSR and Citi Prestige offer this protection as an included perk.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by smith16john
Might be safer to just use a card that actually offer price protection if the downside risk of price is substantial.

Being forced a return because the CC company threatens to charge back? I don't think most vendors (that don't already have a good enough relationship with you to adjust the price directly following the drop in pricing) would have much tolerance for that, regardless of the cap.

But just my 2 cents.
huh? who is threatening to do a charge back??
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Duke787
Another area where AMEX has slipped a bit especially in the Plat card vs. their two major competitors. Both CSR and Citi Prestige offer this protection as an included perk.
They should stop slipping and get their act together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.