Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of AMEX points suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Best use of AMEX points suggestions

Hi all,
I've accumulated a little over 250k of AMEX point. Any ideas or suggestions on how I can use it to get the best value out of it?

I prefer to use it towards flights but knowledge of other uses would also be useful.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2017, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In which country is your American Express card accounts issued?

In general the highest monetary value is achieved by transferring to an airline frequent flyer program and redeeming for an intercontinental business class flight. However, this isn't important if your plans do not call for that type of travel or if you do not value the comforts of premium cabin travel. You need to decide what suits your requirements and we will help you figure out how to use points effectively.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply!
My AMEX is from US. I'm planning a trip to Europe in August and I actually would love to fly business class. I never have so might as well experience it if possible.

Which frequent flyer program are you referring to? Appreciate your help!
Old May 15, 2017, 1:49 am
mia

Originally Posted by kayfusha

Which frequent flyer program are you referring to?
Begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Old May 15, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks, I will check it out!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:27 am
Suspended

Thank you for your reply!
My AMEX is from US. I'm planning a trip to Europe in August and I actually would love to fly business class. I never have so might as well experience it if possible.

Which frequent flyer program are you referring to? Appreciate your help!

Probably Aeroplan then. You can book a Star Alliance J award easily through Aeroplan.

Get an account at aeroplan.com and try searching for the route you want/need. If it's there, you can transfer in miles and then book.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

ok so checked out the wiki and came across transfer partners page.. https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...R&viewfullsite

When tried to search for flights across AMEX airline partners, most of them prompted me for account creation in order to find pricing and availability.. Kind of time consuming if you ask me... plus I don't really want to create 10 new accounts.

Do you guys know of any tools or a service that does this type of search?
Old May 17, 2017, 11:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Asia miles. But good luck with availability and fuel surcharges if going transatlantic.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Just create a free account at Aeroplan and you can search for all the Star Alliance awards.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:12 am
mia

Do you guys know of any tools or a service that does this type of search?
Begin here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ools-here.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html
Old May 18, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
ANA for J roundtrip is going to be the cheapest at 88k but they pass on fuel surcharges (though Air Canada/Aeroplan does too) and I believe ANA allows stopover and 2 open jaws (same as Aeroplan) though I agree just create a free Aeroplan account, that's going to be the simplest and just search, click, and buy.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Alright... Did some digging around on FlyerTalk and found few tools to find award flight availability!

AwardEx.io - seems like a very useful tool. Finds availability as you need it and provides all the details you need in regards to your flight as well as booking instructions on how to transfer points and which program to use. Besides you can easily do price comprising between programs. I actually liked this tool the most out of all I listed here but it does cost a bit (very little actually) once you run out your initial free credits

AwardNexus.com - Also useful tool but requires too much data entering and a bit costly after the initial 100 credits are used (which get used up fast btw), however you can find the availability and compare prices as well

KVS - finds availability but the app needs to be downloaded and saved locally on your computer and you need to be knowledgable to use it

ExpertFlyer.com - you have to provide your route and a flight number which requires to do some homework prior to completing any searches. Besides, you don't get search results right away - you get email alert if the flight you requested is available... Not a best way to find flights when needed in my opinion

To sum it all up, AwardEx is a winner in my book. Too bad they don't have multi day searching capability - ooh well it is what it is

Will continue my hunt for tools for hotel inventory
Old May 18, 2017, 5:01 pm
mia

ExpertFlyer.com - you have to provide your route and a flight number which requires to do some homework prior to completing any searches. Besides, you don't get search results right away - you get email alert if the flight you requested is available...
That's one way to use ExpertFlyer, it's not the only way. You can search directly for current award inventory on many airlines. The feature you described is used if there is not any current inventory, and you want to be notified if it comes available later.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Oh ok I didn't realize it.. Thanks for the pointer! I guess I'm gonna have to dig around a bit more
Old May 19, 2017, 2:16 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Oh ok I didn't realize it.. Thanks for the pointer! I guess I'm gonna have to dig around a bit more
No worries, the full and unique EF feature set can be found here: https://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.