Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Barclays International Bank waiving Amex Platinum UK/IDC/ICC fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA

I just saw this:-

https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/ho...-platinum.html

Can i phone up amex and ask for my fees to be waived based on this offer? or is this available to new customers only?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:14 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
$50,000 a month every month seems like a lot to have $550 rebated. Also, doesn't the plat come with up to 99 free gold cards now?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
That's probably almost $10k worth of interchange fees. No wonder they're willing to waive it. And if it's all dining and travel spend, it's an opportunity cost of 1.8 million UR points.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
$50,000 a month every month seems like a lot to have $550 rebated. Also, doesn't the plat come with up to 99 free gold cards now?
600k/year spend will get your annual fee reimbursed in one form or another.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would think that anyone who is spending $50k a MONTH on a credit card would not be too worried about the annual fee.

Maybe that's why I'm not a billionaire?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
600k/year spend will get your annual fee reimbursed in one form or another.
I wonder if you'd get a reimbursement even on the Centurion AF with that amount of spend...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by STS-134
I wonder if you'd get a reimbursement even on the Centurion AF with that amount of spend...
I topped that figure last year and didn't get a reimbursement on my Plat. Perhaps I need to give AMEX a ring?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
I topped that figure last year and didn't get a reimbursement on my Plat. Perhaps I need to give AMEX a ring?
I'd imagine that if you did, and threatened to take your spend elsewhere if you didn't get it, they'd give it to you with no questions asked. Although, why would you put that much spend on a Plat card (unless it was all airfare or Amex Travel spend) unless you are deliberately trying to get a Centurion invite?

Last edited by STS-134; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Note that this offer is for a Sterling, International Dollar, or Euro Platinum Card which is not available to USA residents and does not have the same rewards earning or redemption structure as the USA-issued cards. These cards add a 2.7 - 3% foreign currency transaction fee.

$50,000 a month every month
The offer requires $50,000 annual spend, not $50,000 per month:

the opportunity to waive the annual fee if you spend more than US$50,000/€50,000/£40,000 respectively, in each 12 months of Cardmembership

Last edited by mia; Apr 25, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Note that this offer is for a Sterling, International Dollar, or Euro Platinum Card which is not available to USA residents and does not have the same rewards earning or redemption structure as the USA-issued cards. These cards add a 2.7 - 3% foreign currency transaction fee.

Interesting...no mention of Centurion lounge access. Includes HHonors Gold, but not SPG Gold. Has Melia Rewards and Shangri-La status instead.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by STS-134
I'd imagine that if you did, and threatened to take your spend elsewhere if you didn't get it, they'd give it to you with no questions asked. Although, why would you put that much spend on a Plat card (unless it was all airfare or Amex Travel spend) unless you are deliberately trying to get a Centurion invite?
Just to see what happens, I might call in and politely ask to get it reimbursed, but I won't push the issue. Personally the $450 (well next one will be $550 I suppose) is worth the Centurion Lounge access alone, so honestly I'm fine paying it. (I always manage to use the $200 in airline fee credits as well.)

The Plat is typically a backup card; I only use it when I hit monthly limit on my 2% cash back card and am charging a category that doesn't get bonuses on a loyalty program card. I do use it for FHR charges and it is currently my primary for foreign purchases as I do not have a good cashback card without foreign exchange fee, so a good chunk of it is from that.

Oh yeah and definitely not trying for Centurion... absolutely no interest in that nonsense.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:45 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Originally Posted by mia

my mistake. I read that as requiring $50k in each of 12 months rather than each 12 month period.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Just to see what happens, I might call in and politely ask to get it reimbursed,
People do this all the time. In the USA the typical offer is $2-300 or points, but usually not in consecutive years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-offers.html

The Barclays International offer doesn't appear to be made by American Express, and wouldn't have any bearing on USA cardholders because we are explicitly excluded from the products offered.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:51 am
ckr

my mistake. I read that as requiring $50k in each of 12 months rather than each 12 month period.
I think most people would read it as such; It's worded much more clearly in the sub text:

"Cardmembers will have 12 months to accumulate the required spend (US$50,000/€50,000/£40,000) in net purchases, from the date of application approval, with the fee being applied or waived on the 13th month of Cardmembership."
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
People do this all the time. In the USA the typical offer is $2-300 or points, but usually not in consecutive years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-offers.html
I think people in this thread were more interested in what might qualify for straight fee waivers. Still worth a try just for the sake of information, I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.