Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to Cape Town. Business class Airline choice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
JFK to Cape Town. Business class Airline choice

As the title says we're thinking of traveling round trip from JFK to Cape Town.
We've decided on business class. Air France looks fine but the
return trip on South African (SAA) air doesn't look so good.
The Planes look rundown. So we're curious if any of you have
made the trip. At business class prices we want to make this a
memorial trip going both ways. Of course we would love to save
some cash as well but business class is a must. We're not interested
in long layovers in trouble spot places like Turkey, Egypt, or switching
planes, or any other snags. We're looking for the easiest route.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Switching planes is an almost certainty.

I did JFK-DOH-CPT last September on QR. Was a 77W for the JFK-DOH leg which is a mid evening departure from JFK on a 2x2x2 setup. We had an ~9 hour layover in Doha which we got a hotel room in between the two markets. The flight to CPT is on a 787 which is a very nice J class experience. Departure is ~02:30 local time with arrival in CPT before noon local time.

Why the Amex Mr forum for this?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
I haven't flown QR but what Yoshi says fits with their reputation-- and if you have a longer layover it's worth heading into town to see the Museum of Islamic Art.

I've only flown from London, and the choices are BA and SAA. It's a nice flight from here because it's more-or-less same time zone, so no jetlag and about 10-12hrs flying means a lot of people do it as overnighter. For that the choice is clear: BA have lie-flat in biz, with a retractable barrier if there's a stranger beside. SAA have those recliner seats that used to be called "cradle" seats, but don't go flat, and no barrier to separate from your seatmate on what are usually 2-2-2 config. I'm sure KLM and Lufthansa also fly that route from their European hubs, though cannot comment from my own experience other than to say connecting at Frankfurt or Munich on Lufty is very efficient.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Music4u
Air France looks fine but the
return trip on South African (SAA) air doesn't look so good.
So don't fly SA on the return?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You are going to have to change planes, but the good news is that you have plenty of very good options. All of them will require a bit of a daytime layover, but consider:

LH, AF, BA, QR, EK Those would be my first set of options. All of them have a very good business class product and keep you out of places you may not wish to transit.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Firstly, I got a message from a MOD that they are waiting for the OP to respond before moving this.

While I generally agree with your perspective I differ from your statement that LH,AF, QR & EK solid products but I just can't see how BA's 2x4x2 (average) product will compete with the others. It may be good for couples but it's a rather low end J product for today.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are going to have to change planes, but the good news is that you have plenty of very good options. All of them will require a bit of a daytime layover, but consider:

LH, AF, BA, QR, EK Those would be my first set of options. All of them have a very good business class product and keep you out of places you may not wish to transit.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry for not getting back in a timely manner but life gets in the way and being responsive isn't always possible.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks ........Good question. I've got quite a few points so the cost and arrangements might include using them.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Switching planes is an almost certainty.

I did JFK-DOH-CPT last September on QR. Was a 77W for the JFK-DOH leg which is a mid evening departure from JFK on a 2x2x2 setup. We had an ~9 hour layover in Doha which we got a hotel room in between the two markets. The flight to CPT is on a 787 which is a very nice J class experience. Departure is ~02:30 local time with arrival in CPT before noon local time.

Why the Amex Mr forum for this?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:09 pm

I flew Newark - Sao Paulo - Johannesburg last August, with a return out of Cape Town. I was on United metal to Sao Paulo in both directions, and SAA on the other segments. I too wanted to fly business class, and also wanted a stop in Sao Paulo.

As was mentioned, SAA flies the old style of business class seats, but I actually prefer them over United's, as I get overheated very easily and find myself to be more comfortable without the various privacy barriers.

I had no complaints whatsoever with SAA. They did a really nice job.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Suggestion is 2 break it up into 2 separate tickets; fly either LGA or JFK to YYZ (Toronto) on Delta. Then book business class on KLM connecting via AMS to CPT. I have done this trip the past 2 years (late fall both '15 & '16) on 2 separate tickets (CHS-ATL-YYX & YYZ-AMS-CPT). KLM is around $4,000 USD departing YYZ (Canadian market is significant less pricing in C class than US origins), better service than Air France, especially the hard product on KLM is a lie flat as AF hasn't updated the entire long haul fleet to lie flat. The Western Cape especially the Franschhoek wine valley is stunning!
Old May 6, 2017, 3:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Suggestion is 2 break it up into 2 separate tickets; fly either LGA or JFK to YYZ (Toronto) on Delta. Then book business class on KLM connecting via AMS to CPT. I have done this trip the past 2 years (late fall both '15 & '16) on 2 separate tickets (CHS-ATL-YYX & YYZ-AMS-CPT). KLM is around $4,000 USD departing YYZ (Canadian market is significant less pricing in C class than US origins), better service than Air France, especially the hard product on KLM is a lie flat as AF hasn't updated the entire long haul fleet to lie flat. The Western Cape especially the Franschhoek wine valley is stunning!
In principle this is a good suggestion, but I would add that it is advisable to arrive in Toronto early in the day (may not be possible, so maybe the night before) on the outbound and similarly pad the return, since there is no connection, just two different tickets. No-show for your TATL leg and you'll be out of pocket for new return tickets.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:37 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
If you don't want to break up the trip, you could do JFK-JNB-CPT on the way out.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

That's what I decided but it was worth the mention. As shown others has a comment for others to consider....^

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So don't fly SA on the return?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Looks like this is going to be easier than I thought. Book with American Express travel on Iberia air business class all the way. Starting from SFO to London. Then Iberian from London to Johanasburg, Meeting up with other folks going to Durban. All I need now is travel insurance. Information. Hows Platinum Card travel insurance? Anyone have experience regarding coverage? Or is there an existing thread I can reference?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Music4u
All I need now is travel insurance. Information. Hows Platinum Card travel insurance? Anyone have experience regarding coverage? Or is there an existing thread I can reference?
Non-existent. I got burned booking flights with my AMEX Plat when my girlfriend's bags didn't make ATL - LHR earlier this year.

If you have to use the AMEX Plat to buy, I would purchase separate trip insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.