Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by gooselee
To clarify, I'm talking about Uber Eats, the food delivery service. They have a completely different pricing structure from "main" Uber, the rideshare service. In both cases, yes, the pricing is set that there is effectively a minimum fee.

For Eats, smaller orders sometimes make less financial sense because this means the delivery fee is a very large % of the overall cost - but if you're stuck somewhere and need food it's sometimes worth it (I've definitely done this when arriving late at a hotel where there's no room service, restaurant is closed, and there's nothing within safe walking distance).

Also, with Eats everything is paid to Uber. It's not like you pay the restaurant and then separately pay Uber to deliver. They wrap it all up in a single transaction for you (and I'm sure Uber takes some cut of the food cost, in addition to their cut of the delivery fee, in exchange for generating business for the restaurant).
Thanks.

We should look into this, especially for when the next bad weather shows up.

I'm remembering an amazingly dedicated pizza delivery guy near our then vacation cabin near the mountains a few years ago. It was so nasty out, snow and sleet. We had the kids and the grands, and bundling the little ones up... ugh... So we called for pizza. About an hour later, a bit later than "regular expected timing", the doorbell rang, which surprised us, because we figured no one was going to bother delivering, given the deteriorating conditions. He was carrying several pizza boxes, the number we had ordered. I commented that we were actually somewhat surprised he had been able to drive up "that last small hill around the corner", given the now icy roads. (We had just put salt on the porch and stairs, as it was getting *very* icy.).. He was covered in snow, and told us that he could NOT in fact drive up that hill, so... he had WALKED all the way up! Wow. That young man got what might have gotten his biggest tip ever that night. We were both grateful and very impressed. We might not have been able to drive all the way home, IF we had gone out and were now returning, and with all the family... My point is, it was SO worth it, and we do tip well when the service warrants.
At least there are no serious hills nearby our regular home!

We had called for pizza, because that was the only food that could be 'delivered".
There are so many choices now...!

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by strife
Again I did not receive the Uber credit for this month. Uber support is useless and just claims the problem is with AMEX. I have not heard back from AMEX yet on this (wrote a letter to corporate). Going to give up on this until I hear back from AMEX.
An uber rep over email told me that this benefit is only valid for one card per account. I mean they are all idiots so take it for a grain of salt, but I'm going to create another Uber account and see if i can get the $15 credit on that one and call Amex to complain.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by bradpitch92
An uber rep over email told me that this benefit is only valid for one card per account. I mean they are all idiots so take it for a grain of salt, but I'm going to create another Uber account and see if i can get the $15 credit on that one and call Amex to complain.
I put my Plat and my wife’s Plat on my Uber account. Each month both credits post to my account. Others here have also reported doing this with two Plats on one Uber account.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

I put my Plat and my wife’s Plat on my Uber account. Each month both credits post to my account. Others here have also reported doing this with two Plats on one Uber account.
Lucky. I called Amex and the guy said that what the Uber rep told me was wrong (that we can have multiple Amex Plat's and receive multiple credits). Very helpful guy and he credited my account for $30 for two months worth of issues (apparently they can see on their end what cards have been 'activated' to receive the monthly credit). I asked if i should just call back every month i have an issue, and he said that unfortunately won't work because he is limited in the amount of credits he can give me. So he is going to raise this with the 'Premium Ambassador Team' to get this resolved. I'll post further updates later
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Egads. What a multi-level nightmare when your trip plus tip exceeds your Uber cash balance. Locked accounts, changing payment methods does not automatically fix it. This benefit is definitively not worth it for me.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've so far been able to top up the quoted fare with the credit card, and then add the tip afterwards by credit card fine. What I had run across a couple of times, was that instead of processing a tip right away, it later shows as an outstanding balance that needs to be re-charged (by me) before I can use Uber further.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Aug 9, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've so far been able to top up the quoted fare with the credit card, and then add the tip afterwards by crdduf card fine. What I had run across a couple of times, was that instead of processing a tip right away, it later shows as an outstanding balance that needs to be re-charged (by me) before I can use Uber further.
That’s what happened for me and the charge-up part was not working manually.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Quick question: If I am authorized user on amex plat and am the first to add the card to uber (primary card holder never adds to uber), then my account will be the one that receives the uber credits? (i.e. Uber isn't doing a database comparison to check account number *and* name of primary cardholder before authorizing credits)
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by bigwings8
Quick question: If I am authorized user on amex plat and am the first to add the card to uber (primary card holder never adds to uber), then my account will be the one that receives the uber credits? (i.e. Uber isn't doing a database comparison to check account number *and* name of primary cardholder before authorizing credits)
DELETED.

Last edited by Statman; Aug 27, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by bigwings8
Same here and YES you get the Uber credits only if the primary hasn’t used them. It’s first come. My primary only has the card for lounge access.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I recently got an email from Uber saying that they've changed the payment priority in the app, so that it now defaults to Uber Cash. And, they are now explicit in saying that the $15 Amex credit gets added to Uber Cash. Hopefully, this puts an end to the problems that many have had in applying the Amex credit (assuming that is that Uber recognizes your account as being eligible for it in the first place). In fact, I got the email today saying that the $15 credit for September had been added to my account, and now when I browse for a ride in the Uber app, it a) defaults to Uber Cash, and b) notes below my balance that it includes the $15 Amex credit.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
... now when I browse for a ride in the Uber app, it a) defaults to Uber Cash, and b) notes below my balance that it includes the $15 Amex credit.
It's been like that for awhile for me. The priority continues to be for Uber Cash without expiration, but a random small portion of the payment is sometimes also taken from the AmEx credit pool.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They seem to have tweaked it a bit, which had me worried that one can't apply it as partial payment, but worked out OK. Instead of topping up the ride with a card at the outset, the system did the partial payment plus "preferred" card on my list at the end.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's been like that for awhile for me. The priority continues to be for Uber Cash without expiration, but a random small portion of the payment is sometimes also taken from the AmEx credit pool.
That's not my experience. I just took a ride yesterday, and what's new for me is a) it defaulted to Uber Cash instead of the credit card it previously defaulted to, b) it displayed the amount of the Amex credit incorporated in the Uber Cash balance right on the "request a trip" page, and c) took from the Amex portion of the Uber Cash balance prior to using the non-expiring funds. All of those are big improvements, IMHO. YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
... c) took from the Amex portion of the Uber Cash balance prior to using the non-expiring funds...
So far I have not experienced the part c. However, my tablet flashed a message today that the Uber app was recently updated. Hope that update included the features you described. I may find out in a couple weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.