Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Beginning March 30, 2017, The Centurion® Lounge guest policy for Platinum Card® Members will change. All Platinum Card® Members will be limited to two total guests at no additional charge. One-day passes for any additional guests, including immediate family members, may be purchased.
-- http://thecenturionlounge.com/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by steve4
Something similar happened to me once at the lounge in SFO. I was sitting by myself at a two seat table and a two travelers came over and requested me to relocate to a nearby table with an empty seat so that they could sit together. I didn't like to move over as I was just finishing a meal, but I obliged. They did thank me multiple times which was good.
If I had already started eating, then I certainly would not move. I would politely tell them to wait for a few minutes nearby until I finish eating, then I will call them over so can take the table.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hiima
why not share a table with them
There are communal tables in at least some lounges. I'd use one of those if I want "company" but I generally prefer my privacy.

I generally don't spend much time in the main restauranty area and prefer to relax in the areas with more comfortable seats/couches. Many of those don't really appear to be meant for sharing with strangers
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind that American Express practice frequently deviates from published policy, typically in the cardholders' favor. I would reserve judgement until we see how this plays out over the summer travel season.
Are you suggesting this new change will only be enforced when there are actual overcrowding issues in the lounge?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A substantial chunk of the $200 airline credit is not used. Even for accounts of people with whom I have a bit of influence in this area, it's frequently the case that a substantial chunk of the credit is not used.
I hear that. I fly business/first class and have status with the majority of the airlines/alliances I fly. It's very hard for me to use the credit without following FT tricks to turn it into Amazon gift cards and whatnot.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
Am I the only one here who has noticed relatively few families with children in the lounge? I've been in the SFO lounge maybe 15 times. I've seen families in there, but not that many. Maybe two families on any given visit (I mean both spouses and more than one kid).
I've seen more than one family with young children at a time in these lounges on less than ten percent of my visits to the lounges. I can see there being some lounges and flying patterns where that would not be the case, but when I see the lounges packed, it's mostly packed with or exclusively by adults.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AS
As so many of us do. The geekiest ones among us enlist our spouses to double the effect. Those spouses do not understand our affliction, but they do not complain when we put them in premium cabins and nice lounges.
Beautifully put. My spouse complains but, enjoys his "premium" travel experiences.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:43 am

We'd all agree that overcrowding has become an issue. Amex has to start somewhere to fix this problem. While the solutions can range or be a combination of increasing space to reducing "free" guests, the pecking order should obviously be: 1) Centurion members, 2) Plat Basic members, 3) paid AUs, and 4) everyone else.

Makes perfect sense to begin with 4. Still a problem, then progress to 3 and thin those out.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:16 am

I wish AMEX would've made an exception for children under 12. I'd gladly pay $50 for my teenager, but can't justify paying for my toddler.

I only fly with my family (spouse + 2 kids) 4-5 times a year and rarely have a layover at any of the CL locations. However, the CL benefit was definitely one of the reasons I got the card for those rare occasions.

The increased fee, restriction on CL access and continued limitation with the airline credit has definitely decreased the value of the card for me.

I don't think I'll be renewing this year.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by kevneerg
I wish AMEX would've made an exception for children under 12. I'd gladly pay $50 for my teenager, but can't justify paying for my toddler.
Toddlers should have to pay $100. Kidding!

My wife has the card, so we could each bring in one daughter as a guest. But if she ends up canceling the card and we would have to pay $50 to get all four of us in the lounge, I'd probably pay it if we have more than an hour to kill. I wouldn't think of it as $50 for daughter #2 -- it's $50 for all of us to be in there.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:28 am

After yet another experience at SFO (where I barely found a place to sit, only after a pure, dumb luck), [Flame suit on] I now welcome both the increased annual fee AND the guest limit [/Flame suit... adding another layer]
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

I only fly with my family (spouse + 2 kids) 4-5 times a year and rarely have a layover at any of the CL locations.
So you guest in your spouse and toddler and pay for your 2nd kid (teenager). Where's the problem?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:20 pm

Both toddlers now. 9 more years before one of them is in their teens. Point is, the value has decreased too much for me.

I do spend quite a bit on the card because I like AMEX's customer service, but difficult to continue to justify the annual fee. I consider the changes a devaluation. I was already on the fence when they announced the increased fee. The CL change has pushed me over the edge.

AMEX can't compete with the CSR or Prestige cards at this point.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:29 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Both toddlers now. 9 more years before one of them is in their teens. Point is, the value has decreased too much for me.

I do spend quite a bit on the card because I like AMEX's customer service, but difficult to continue to justify the annual fee. I consider the changes a devaluation. I was already on the fence when they announced the increased fee. The CL change has pushed me over the edge.

AMEX can't compete with the CSR or Prestige cards at this point.
Then you drop the card and move on. That's how things work in a competitive marketplace. Some of us find other value (like FHR, with all the buy 2 get 1 deals + extra $200 on top of the FHR $100 credit etc.). And CSR and Prestige don't have airport lounges, and the AMEX Centurion Lounges, when applicable, are way nicer than most priority pass lounges.

Once again, the vast majority of the world is not "dialled in" or as "obsessive" as the FlyerTalk crowd (not meaning that's bad). Personally, they probably prefer NOT to have such folks as card-members since they are less profitable. It's a big world out there, and companies like AMEX need to find their less savvy and often more loyal niche. Could they be wrong. Yep. But, I've seen this time and again. Look at MGM Mlife. Resorts fees sky high. Parking Fees in Vegas. Fees on top of fees. Gaming downgrades. Everyone said, "I'm not playing at MGM anymore, I'm done.. screw them" -- guess what? One of the most profitable January+ periods ever. Sometimes, companies just need to focus on their profitable customers.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Then you drop the card and move on. That's how things work in a competitive marketplace. Some of us find other value (like FHR, with all the buy 2 get 1 deals + extra $200 on top of the FHR $100 credit etc.). And CSR and Prestige don't have airport lounges, and the AMEX Centurion Lounges, when applicable, are way nicer than most priority pass lounges.

Once again, the vast majority of the world is not "dialled in" or as "obsessive" as the FlyerTalk crowd (not meaning that's bad). Personally, they probably prefer NOT to have such folks as card-members since they are less profitable. It's a big world out there, and companies like AMEX need to find their less savvy and often more loyal niche. Could they be wrong. Yep. But, I've seen this time and again. Look at MGM Mlife. Resorts fees sky high. Parking Fees in Vegas. Fees on top of fees. Gaming downgrades. Everyone said, "I'm not playing at MGM anymore, I'm done.. screw them" -- guess what? One of the most profitable January+ periods ever. Sometimes, companies just need to focus on their profitable customers.
Excellent post.

For my needs, I will be closing the Prestige after losing Admirals Club, 1.6X on AA and the Golf perk. As to the 4th night, FHR has it often enough for my needs and with better perks. Only time I find PP even remotely useful is when traveling abroad; even then, it's only marginally useful for those with Elite status or flying J or F.

As to MGM, they have the nicest properties. Nothing compares to gambling at Bellagio, especially BJ. Sure, one can go play on Fremont street/off strip to grind out 50 bps on video poker, but it's easier to make a living doing just about anything else. Nix the perks for the AP players and divvy it up to the real gamblers (suckers, whatever you prefer). At least, they deserve the rebate.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:44 pm

Let's compare two cardholders' effects on overcrowding:

1) The solo road warrior who is in a CL on average more than once and week, and

2) The family traveler who brings into the lounge not just the spouse, but more than one child.

I don't think this is close.
certainly-I was only answering a question that was posed by another member. I wouldn't suggest for a minute that families are the primary source of overcrowding in my experiences at SEA and SFO-just that families are far more noticeable. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I'm suggesting that to be the case.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by baccarat_king

CSR comes with airport lounge access. While the Centurion lounges are better than most of those lounges CSR members get, that is a factor to be considered amongst others.

Focusing on your most profitable customers while gaming the rest of the customers? It doesn't mean it works out all that well -- United is an example of that, and it would have been even worse for UA if the government hadn't stacked the deck in the airline's favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.