Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Business Platinum (USA) earning - 5x on prepaid hotel and flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Business Platinum (USA) earning - 5x on prepaid hotel and flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by txpenny
Is anyone seeing the 4X airfare bonus posting yet? If so, how long after you made the charge?
Bumping for the Monday morning crowd.

With the Personal Platinum card, I would have seen the 4x earnings included in the "pending" points by now. I wonder if they really do post at 10-12 weeks per the TOS.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:45 am

Any data points regarding the timing of posting 4X earnings bonus on flights booked through AMEX Travel?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Even though it is not the primary focus of the thread, there is some incidental discussion of the 4X points posting in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2017-a.html

THIS post reports the bonus about a month after the purchase.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:10 am

Thanks mia

I'm not sure that quote address my question.

Originally Posted by akcae
Yes. Here is the sequence:

5/3 - Purchased airfare that qualifies for 50% rebate. Total airfare was ~ $410. I used 30,000 MR for net cash outlay of ~110. Transactions on the card showed $410 airfare charge, and then $300 Amex travel credit. At the same time, MR account showed 30,000 MR debit for Amex Travel.

6/3 - 15,000 MR points credited as "Airline bonus: pay with points".

6/5 - "5 X TLS" MR earning posted with the number of points corresponding to 4x the net cash cost from the transaction on 5/3.
I may be extremely confused, but here's my understanding of his akcae's post:

I think the events on the quoted post was that on 5/3 akcae booked airfare using the business platinum for a partial redemption and using the personal platinum to pay for the remaining fare. akcae was awarded a 4X bonus on the cash part ($110).

I too have both the business platinum and personal platinum. I've always used the personal platinum to pay for airfare on the AA site per T&C of the 5X award. I use the business platinum to redeem for the now 35% points back.

Testing the system:

A few months back, AMEX business rolled out the same 5X earnings on airfare with the caveat that you must book via AMEX Travel rather than AA.com (in my case). So, on 5/6/17 I purchased a business class AA fare through AMEX Travel with my business platinum card. On the same day, I also purchased a business class AA fare using my personal platinum card on the aa.com site. These were the only flights I booked during each billing cycle.

My two statements close within 3 days of each other, with the personal closing first around the 19th of the month.

After my personal statement was available on 5.20.17, I could verify, as always, that the 4X bonus for the purchase made with the personal card was now in the pending points. After my business statement was available on 5.23.17, I checked the pending points again. No points were shown as pending for the fare booked with the business card.

Since, my statements have both cycled again. My bonus for the 5/6 ticket purchased with the personal card is now earned. I still have no bonus earned or pending for the fare purchased with the business card.

That's why I was asking for any data points from anyone who books with the business card via the AMEX Travel portal.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Got this email from AMEX today re: this benefit:

We're writing to let you know that we corrected your Terms and Conditions for a Membership Rewards® benefit for your account listed above.

Making sure you know about any mistakes we find is important, so we'd like to explain what happened.

We initially sent you the incorrect Terms and Conditions by mistake
In April, we emailed you the incorrect terms for the Business Platinum 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels booked at Amextravel.com benefit. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

We've included the correct terms and may issue Membership Rewards points

To make things right, you can view your most up-to-date Terms and Conditions by clicking here. If applicable, we may issue you any Membership Rewards points that we may owe you as a result of this error.

We've taken care of everything for you.
While there's nothing further for you to do, you manage your account, learn more about your benefits or reach us anytime online at americanexpress.com.

Thank you for your understanding and continued Card Membership.

American Express Customer Care
A cursory glance through the T&C doesn't reveal any startling changes for me. Anyone happen to know what they caught?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k Hyatt Globalist
Can we get 5 points using business platinum when buy tickets directly from airline?

I know we can get 5 points per dollar to buy air ticket from amextravel. But...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No, Business Platinum must purchase through American Express Travel.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
What Happened to 5x Points on Bookings Directly with Airlines?

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I could have sworn the Amex Platinum Card earned 5x points when paying for bookings directly through an airline. The card now only shows 5x earned when booking with AMEX Travel.

Was this a recent change?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Forgive me if this has been answered, but I could have sworn the Amex Platinum Card earned 5x points when paying for bookings directly through an airline. The card now only shows 5x earned when booking with AMEX Travel.

Was this a recent change?
Airfare booked directly with the airline still earns 5x MR when paying with the personal American Express Platinum card (not with the Biz Plat.)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Airfare booked directly with the airline still earns 5x MR when paying with the personal American Express Platinum card (not with the Biz Plat.)
I see. Did the Biz version ever earn 5x on travel booked directly with an airline?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I see. Did the Biz version ever earn 5x on travel booked directly with an airline?
AFAIK, no.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:15 pm

Thank you for clarifying
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Sorry to be obtuse, but is there any difference between booking with www.amextravel.com and booking with the AmEx personal Platinum travel 800 number? For a Biz class multi-stop to New Zealand I got a quote of about 7500 USD from the 800 number and got the regular, OTA price (as cited by Expedia, Orbitz, etc.) of 2900 USD on the website. I would get the same 5x points with either? How can there be such a discrepancy?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:42 am

5x points on Airfare?

Do both Business and Personal Plats get 5x on airfare when purchased directly from airlines?
I have business, and in the MR terms it states only travel bought on amextravel.com is eligible for 4 addl points.
Is there another place I should be looking, or is this a benefit of personal card only?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stevento
Do both Business and Personal Plats get 5x on airfare when purchased directly from airlines?
I have business, and in the MR terms it states only travel bought on amextravel.com is eligible for 4 addl points.
Is there another place I should be looking, or is this a benefit of personal card only?
On the business Platinum, you must purchase via amextravel.com (got bit by this once and it hurt )

With Personal Platinum you can purchase directly with the airline.

Regards
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.