Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Business Platinum (USA) earning - 5x on prepaid hotel and flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: Business Platinum (USA) earning - 5x on prepaid hotel and flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All, question on the Biz Plat, I know each single purchase over $5000 USD generally has the 1,5x points multiplier (subject to the points cap), so does that mean that $5,000 USD in a single airfare purchase on the Amex travel portal would equate at 5.5x, 6.5x or is it always just 5x? Question assumes points are not used as part of the purchase. TIA!

Safe Travels
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I no longer have this card, but the airline "5X" is implemented as a 4 point bonus. I would expect:

• 1.0 points for spending a dollar
  • 0.5 points for spending $5,000
  • 4.0 points for buying through Amex Travel
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GTITAN
All, question on the Biz Plat, I know each single purchase over $5000 USD generally has the 1,5x points multiplier (subject to the points cap), so does that mean that $5,000 USD in a single airfare purchase on the Amex travel portal would equate at 5.5x, 6.5x or is it always just 5x? Question assumes points are not used as part of the purchase. TIA!

Safe Travels
When you say "single airfare purchase" do you mean only one passenger ticket, for >$5K? If yes, no problem on the 50% bonus. However, if you are purchasing two passenger tickets on one itinerary be aware they will post as two separate transactions (one per passenger). If each individual ticket is less than $5K, the 50% bonus will NOT trigger.

You might already know this, but it can be a surprising "gotcha" for some.

Regards
GTITAN and 355F1 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
When you say "single airfare purchase" do you mean only one passenger ticket, for >$5K? If yes, no problem on the 50% bonus. However, if you are purchasing two passenger tickets on one itinerary be aware they will post as two separate transactions (one per passenger). If each individual ticket is less than $5K, the 50% bonus will NOT trigger.

You might already know this, but it can be a surprising "gotcha" for some.

Regards
I did not. Thank you!

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.