Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Low Roller
Has anyone received the 5K bonus for adding a supplemental cardholder to the personal gold card? If so, did you get it at the same time as the 25K sign-up bonus or was it credited separately? I just got my 25K when I hit the minimum spend, but no sign of the extra 5K yet.
Yes I got it separately a couple weeks after the main one.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by matthieugd
Yes I got it separately a couple weeks after the main one.
Good to know -Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
I tried to cancel my personal Platinum Charge card today because the annual fee is due soon. I have a credit on my account of roughly $150 from the annual travel credit. After a long hold, I was told that I would not be able to get that $150 refunded if I cancelled the card. The agent said something along the lines of "when you cancel, the $200 travel credit is owed back to Amex if you have already used it"

I said to hold on cancelling the card for now. If I spend the $150 normally and then call back to cancel when I have a zero balance, will they still say I owe them $200? I did not think that using the travel credit meant I had to pay it back if I cancelled the card before the next year's annual fee hit. I have paid the annual fee for this card in the past..this is not my first year with the card.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I tried to cancel my personal Platinum Charge card today because the annual fee is due soon. I have a credit on my account of roughly $150 from the annual travel credit. After a long hold, I was told that I would not be able to get that $150 refunded if I cancelled the card. The agent said something along the lines of "when you cancel, the $200 travel credit is owed back to Amex if you have already used it"

I said to hold on cancelling the card for now. If I spend the $150 normally and then call back to cancel when I have a zero balance, will they still say I owe them $200? I did not think that using the travel credit meant I had to pay it back if I cancelled the card before the next year's annual fee hit. I have paid the annual fee for this card in the past..this is not my first year with the card.
Did you use last year's travel credit? Amex appears to now be enforcing the "one travel credit per CARD year", not "one travel credit per CALENDAR year".

So if you have the card say, August 2016 to August 2017, if you use the travel credit for 2016 in November and then the new travel credit again in March in 2017, your 2017 travel credit WILL be clawed back if you decide to cancel before your annual fee is up.

Most likely that's what the issue here is - you've already used up your travel credit for your card year back in 2016, the 2017 will be clawed back. That'll happen even if you spend normally. (e.g. cardholder for 6 years = 6 travel credits, one per annual fee)

Same thing happened to me - when I called in with a 0 balance, they told me that they would cancel it but would have to claw back the 200 dollars and a 200 dollar charge re-appeared on my card that I had to pay.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Did you use last year's travel credit? Amex appears to now be enforcing the "one travel credit per CARD year", not "one travel credit per CALENDAR year".

So if you have the card say, August 2016 to August 2017, if you use the travel credit for 2016 in November and then the new travel credit again in March in 2017, your 2017 travel credit WILL be clawed back if you decide to cancel before your annual fee is up.

Most likely that's what the issue here is - you've already used up your travel credit for your card year back in 2016, the 2017 will be clawed back. That'll happen even if you spend normally. (e.g. cardholder for 6 years = 6 travel credits, one per annual fee)

Same thing happened to me - when I called in with a 0 balance, they told me that they would cancel it but would have to claw back the 200 dollars and a 200 dollar charge re-appeared on my card that I had to pay.
Yes, I used it last year and this year. I thought that the travel credit was on an annual year basis and this was part of my decision to pay the $700 annual fee i.e. I thought that if I cancel before the second year fee hits and have used both the 2 $200 credits, then at least it has only cost me $300, rather than $700. I guess this was my mistake in understanding how it works.. kinda sucks.

I am guessing that their terms allow this?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Yes, I used it last year and this year. I thought that the travel credit was on an annual year basis and this was part of my decision to pay the $700 annual fee i.e. I thought that if I cancel before the second year fee hits and have used both the 2 $200 credits, then at least it has only cost me $300, rather than $700. I guess this was my mistake in understanding how it works.. kinda sucks.

I am guessing that their terms allow this?
Their terms have always been this way. It's the referral peddlers who have always advertised it as a $400 credit, but the only reason it worked in the past was because they didn't do a good job of tracking it. I'm glad they at least chose to do it this way rather than doing it as a "on renewal, get a $200 bonus" which many cards seem to do these days.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Their terms have always been this way. It's the referral peddlers who have always advertised it as a $400 credit, but the only reason it worked in the past was because they didn't do a good job of tracking it. I'm glad they at least chose to do it this way rather than doing it as a "on renewal, get a $200 bonus" which many cards seem to do these days.
I just read a somehwat recent post from a blogger about this. I won't post the link to his blog but he says it happened to him and he got a supervisor to refund it immediately without problems. He says and I quote:

Everything in the Terms and Conditions states that this is an ANNUAL TRAVEL CREDIT and has nothing to do with when you apply the credit in relation to the annual fee posting.

If you are willing to fight, I would suggest that you would have a 99.9% success rate at having the clawback returned
If I have been misled by bloggers than I will of course abide by the terms and conditions but after a quick look at the terms it is hard to see that I have done anything wrong:

Annual Travel Credit can only be used once per calendar year towards a single travel booking of $200 or more
I have not used the credit more than once per calendar year unless my definition of calendar year is different to amex's and there is nothing I can see in the terms that allows them to take back the credit when used legitimately. Maybe there are other clauses that I am missing?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:22 am

Spend the $150 normally and then cancel the card. If all goes well you should be in the clear.

The terms and conditions do say Annual Travel Credit and that's what led many to believe that you are able to get 2 x $200 Travel Credits during one membership year.

However, it appears that Amex has recently unilaterally changed their minds on this, without updating the T&Cs. Therefore the best practice right now is to avoid drawing their attention to the travel credit when cancelling the card (i.e., cancel before the second annual fee hits, don't leave a -$150 credit balance when you're cancelling, etc.)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by flyer05
Spend the $150 normally and then cancel the card. If all goes well you should be in the clear.

The terms and conditions do say Annual Travel Credit and that's what led many to believe that you are able to get 2 x $200 Travel Credits during one membership year.

However, it appears that Amex has recently unilaterally changed their minds on this, without updating the T&Cs. Therefore the best practice right now is to avoid drawing their attention to the travel credit when cancelling the card (i.e., cancel before the second annual fee hits, don't leave a -$150 credit balance when you're cancelling, etc.)
Agreed. The blogger (the penultimate referral peddlers) that was able to convince Amex to get back the $200 travel credit is not typical.

The majority of people are reporting that you will be denied a full $699 refund if you cancel after the annual fee has already posted.

But like the blogger, a full refund can happen even after the $699 fee renewal has posted to the card account, as I reported for a friend here at this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28350725-post650.html

Note in that older post, Smiley had reported that Amex clawed back the second $200 travel credit, even though he called to cancel BEFORE the annual fee posted. It's truly YMMV, but definitely against the odds if you wait for the annual fee to post before cancelling.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Agreed. The blogger (the penultimate referral peddlers) that was able to convince Amex to get back the $200 travel credit is not typical.

The majority of people are reporting that you will be denied a full $699 refund if you cancel after the annual fee has already posted.

But like the blogger, a full refund can happen even after the $699 fee renewal has posted to the card account, as I reported for a friend here at this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28350725-post650.html

Note in that older post, Smiley had reported that Amex clawed back the second $200 travel credit, even though he called to cancel BEFORE the annual fee posted. It's truly YMMV, but definitely against the odds if you wait for the annual fee to post before cancelling.
Makes sense. Though if like Smiley, I cancel before the fee hits and they charged me $200, I would ask them to point out what I have done wrong according to their terms. The terms say the travel credit is allowed once per calendar year and I have used it once per calendar year. I am failing to see how they could successfully justify(from a legal pov) trying to charge the $200 when they haven't added anything in their terms to do so.

That said I 100% agree with your point - it is much easier to argue against (or avoid) paying a new charge of $200, than arguing to get an additional $200 of your fee refunded.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:13 am

Do the referral bonuses show up on your account as soon as the other person is approved or does it take some time? And is there any detail given with the bonus like the person's name or does it just say "referral bonus" or something like that?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by greg898
Do the referral bonuses show up on your account as soon as the other person is approved or does it take some time? And is there any detail given with the bonus like the person's name or does it just say "referral bonus" or something like that?
It's been more-or-less instant for me, but you might have to wait a few weeks. And it doesn't give the person's name, just says Referral or Bonus points.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by greg898
Depends on the card family too
AMEX MR = 1-2 days after his/her approval (which can be instant or few days)

SPG/Aeroplan/Air Miles = next monthly statement after his/her approval (which can be instant or few days)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Depends on the card family too
AMEX MR = 1-2 days after his/her approval (which can be instant or few days)

SPG/Aeroplan/Air Miles = next monthly statement after his/her approval (which can be instant or few days)
I have self-referred Amex Plat to Plat Business, as well as to a friend from Amex Plat.... Both of us have been approved last Friday.. Still no referral bonus. Could they track these and check the status?

Just wondering cause I need to book flights soon
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by thelister
I have self-referred Amex Plat to Plat Business, as well as to a friend from Amex Plat.... Both of us have been approved last Friday.. Still no referral bonus. Could they track these and check the status?

Just wondering cause I need to book flights soon
Bonuses from referring to other MR cards have been showing up about 2 days after approval for us, whereas in the past (> 6 months ago?) it was always by the next morning. Earlier this year the Personal Plat referring bonus was undergoing some delay issues, and the points were not appearing for about a month or more, but as of lately I haven't heard this happening any more.

They track how many you have made per year (calendar, I believe), so if you reached your 225K (or 15 total) on your Personal Platinum card, then that could be another reason you aren't seeing the points - good for you, if this is the case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.