Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum and Priority Pass in Canada [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, AY, AMEXPlat, CIBCInfinite

Yesterday, at HEL airport they had a lounge for Priority pass cards and yet on AMEX plat page it give me the impression you automatically got priority pass with AMEX plat -- she refused me entry as Amex plat wouldn't cut it...
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by bibu
Yesterday, at HEL airport they had a lounge for Priority pass cards and yet on AMEX plat page it give me the impression you automatically got priority pass with AMEX plat -- she refused me entry as Amex plat wouldn't cut it...
Amex card isn't enough getting into Priority Pass lounges, you need the actual Priority Pass card also. If your Amex card includes Priority Pass as a benefit then you should have an application form with your membership kit and you should return it. Or ask it from your Amex CS.

When getting into the Priority Pass lounge, then you actually do not need your Amex card as they are only interested about seeing your Priority Pass card. In the lounge they do not know how you got your card and they do not care about it.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
You have to call Amex Plat CS and request the Priority Pass. They will send you the card and the introductory package in the mail. They cover the annual fee...you still have to pay lounge entry fees (they get billed to your Amex)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Has Priority Pass membership been removed from the standard Amex Platinum benefits in Canada?
I can only seem to find it on the Business Platinum benefits page.

Standard benefits: http://www.iplatinum.americanexpress...-platinum-card
Business benefits: https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
I am trying to figure out what lounges Canadian Plat allows as well.

The Canadian website is terrible. Clicking on the link in the footnotes takes me to another page that asks me to either "Apply Now" or "Log in to my Account". Upon logging in, it just takes me back to my account summary. And in my account summary, if I click on my Plat card "benefits" it will take me back to that log in or apply now page

The footnotes do say that we get access to "International Plaza Premium Lounges" which I gather are different from Priority Pass Lounges.

Could someone confirm that we get access to 3 types of lounges:

1. Airline Club lounges (AA, CO, DL, US) w/ same airline ticket
2. International Plaza Premium Lounges = AMEX Platinum Lounges
3. Priority Pass Lounges - membership is free, but costs $27 per visit
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:48 pm

You get access to the following lounges:

1. The Amex/Servisair lounges in Canada
2. The Plaza lounges (including Asia)
3. AA/DL/US lounges (under the same conditions at the US Plat)

Priority Pass isn't included in any fashion with the consumer Amex Plat, only the Corp and the AeroplanPlus Plat.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: AE Plat, MR, SPG, CO/UA
I can't speak to Canada, but when I upgraded to the consumer plat about six weeks ago, I also told the CSR that I'd like to enroll in Priority Pass. A week later I had my enrollment package, which included my card and listings to 600 airport VIP lounges.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CFE Sleuth
I can't speak to Canada,...
Priority Pass has long been included with Platinum Cards issued in Europe, but was only recently added to the USA-issued Platinum Cards. This does not tell us anything about cards issued in Canada because the benefits and rewards are different in each market.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:55 am

I just called CS and they have not heard of anything like Priority Pass. The girl said that all I need to do is show my card to gain entry to applicable lounges and started to list off some at Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, etc..

Seems overly simplified tho... she didn't mention specific airlines or terminals, international vs domestic... I guess I will find out when I go to YYZ-YUL-LAS tonight... :S
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:11 pm

Sadly, I now know far too much about this, specifically for Canadian cardholders. I've just spent an inordinate amount of time over the past two days talking with Amex and Priority Pass about what level of membership in PP do Canadian Amex Plat members receive. This was due to the fact that I found multiple sources on Amex Canada's website which contradicted one another and also because of incorrect info I received from PP.

Here's what I now believe to be correct: Eligible Amex Canada cardholders receive Standard Membership in PP. The $99 fee is waived, but each visit costs US$27 for the member and each guest.

From the Amex Canada website for Business Platinum cardholders - http://bit.ly/n0cQwL (what I have):
"Your Business Platinum Card and Supplementary Business Platinum Card memberships give you access to Priority Pass lounges, regardless of your choice of airline or class of airline ticket. Before your flight, you can unwind with complimentary light refreshments and drinks, catch up on e-mail, send faxes or make important calls in peace and privacy. The $99 US annual fee is waived for Cardmembers, and each lounge visit costs just $27 US per person."
When you enter a lounge, you must have your PP card with you (they take an imprint as that's how they get paid), and you have to have an airline ticket for travel the day you enter the lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:40 pm

Are ALL priority pass lounges pay per use only ($27)?
i.e. the membership does not get you into ANY lounges for free?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:56 pm

For the Canadian cardholders, that is correct; access to ALL Priority Pass lounges for the cardholder and their guests costs USD$27/person/visit.

Originally Posted by fluffydot
Are ALL priority pass lounges pay per use only ($27)?
i.e. the membership does not get you into ANY lounges for free?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
...access to ALL Priority Pass lounges for the cardholder and their guests costs USD$27/person/visit.
There are three levels of Priority Pass membership, Standard, Plus and Prestige. USA and many European Platinum cards include the Prestige level. Evidently Canadian platinum level cards include the Standard level, which does not include any bundled visits:

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-Costs.cfm

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2011 at 4:48 pm Reason: Corrected to incorporate BradnerBoy's clarification
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:16 pm

It's not just the AeroplanPlus Platinum, it's any Amex Canada Platinum tier card.

Originally Posted by mia
There are three levels of Priority Pass membership, Standard, Plus and Prestige. USA and many European Platinum cards include the Prestige level. Evidently the Aeroplan card includes the Standard level, which does not include any bundled visits:

https://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-Costs.cfm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:49 pm
mia

Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
...any Amex Canada Platinum tier card.
Thank you. I have amended my post. Does the personal Canadian Platinum Card include Priority Pass, or is it only bundled with the business version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.