Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Blind and Green

I’m going to give it one more month (I’ve said this each of the last five months but I really mean it this time).
Yes, agreed. I will also give it one more month.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Yes, agreed. I will also give it one more month.
Yeah, you've got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them. I'm about to fold and get some AA gift cards.
moops380 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:46 am

United First Upgrades

I know upgrades to Econ+ have been reimbursed before. Just did an upgrade and now the wait.

There's also the upgrade to United First, but I haven't seen recent reports if those "qualify."

I don't need UA First on a 1 hour flight, but time is running out on those snail-pace UA Gift Registry builders and I'm exploring options.

Last edited by radiolarian; Aug 20, 2018 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Searched this thread and online, assuming the answer is "no" otherwise I am sure someone would have posted by now- but any success with buying E+ subscriptions? When searching no one followed up
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:11 pm

I just successfully got reimbursed for an E+ upgrade (upgrade 8/14, credit 8/17). Major fail on 7/9 with an attempt to trigger the travel credit for upgrade from E+ to F (domestic). I also bought, on 7/25, a cheap ($200) refundable economy fare which did not trigger the air travel credit. Got my hopes up for that one. Was thankful the E+ option was still working.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by holyPockets
I also bought, on 7/25, a cheap ($200) refundable economy fare which did not trigger the air travel credit. Got my hopes up for that one.
I'm curious as to why you had any hope for that one? I thought buying tickets was completely impossible and had never triggered the credit for anyone.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If the fare is low enough American Express' system may mistake it for a fee and reimburse. Here is an Alaska Airlines example posted today:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30106846-post831.html
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:02 pm

Interesting. I wrongly assumed a straight up ticket would be coded so obviously as to easily identify it as such.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I wrongly assumed a straight up ticket would be coded so obviously as to easily identify it as such.
Coding of UA charges is completely messed up.

I've gotten upgrade fees reimbursed, and change fees and wifi not.

Taxes on awards have been reimbursed pretty consistently.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:48 pm

Update:

Econ+ upgrade reimbursed. Upgrade was made via UA app.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by radiolarian
Update:

Econ+ upgrade reimbursed. Upgrade was made via UA app.
Was it an international flight or domestic?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Coding of UA charges is completely messed up.

I've gotten upgrade fees reimbursed, and change fees and wifi not.

Taxes on awards have been reimbursed pretty consistently.
That's interesting. I've been reimbursed for both change fees and wi-fi this year. I didn't expect either, so quite inadvertently blew through my credits. Win!

On the other hand, I have not been reimbursed for taxes on awards. Bizarre.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
That's interesting. I've been reimbursed for both change fees and wi-fi this year. I didn't expect either, so quite inadvertently blew through my credits. Win!
Change fees and wifi are both reimbursable under the T&C. It's just that UA doesn't always code the change fees correctly.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Racky
Was it an international flight or domestic?
Domestic flight, $59 upgrade, which was about 1/2 the cost of the RT ticket.
Racky likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: United Airline
I too got reimbursed for an E+ upgrade (upgrade 8/19, credit 8/21). International Reward Tickets, got E+ on United.com. Good Luck to all!!
Racky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.