Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canceling Amex's oldest credit card and impact on credit score

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Because of the cap on how many Amex issued credit cards one can have, I will have to close two of my oldest accounts to get two credit cards because of my change in loyalty preference. Any idea if this would have any impact on my credit score? My oldest Amex credit card is the Hilton and now has a history of 15 years. The second older is Amex Blue, which was automatically converted to Amex Everyday.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:03 pm

If you register on creditkarma, which pulls up your credit report from 2 bureaus and provides a credit score, you can use their simulation tool, which will tell you the specific impact if you were to cancel your oldest card. It is very specific for each person and creditkarma.com is free. Best of all, its simulation tool is tailor made for your situation because it has the option for what if I "cancel my oldest card". I used it myself and was surprised how little impact it had on me....but then my second oldest card had just as long a history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.