Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Amex almost never matches bonuses for new applicants — e.g., person applies for 50k offer and then a 60k offer goes public the next day — so it seems unlikely it would encourage churning by giving the difference to a person who closes and then reapplies.

Might have been true in the past, but it's almost assuredly dead now.
You may be right, but your reasoning was equally applicable when Doctor of Credit made that post as it is now. Amex hasn't changed its policies regarding churning personal cards or matching bonuses in the interim, so if DoC's statement is wrong today, it was almost certainly wrong at the time he first said it.

Edited to add: After reviewing the comments, I think DoC was wrong when he first made that post on July 13, 2015. One of the comments is from a guy who got the SPG card in 1999 without any bonus, then applied for another SPG in 2014 and was denied the bonus because he had the card previously.

mbh says:
November 14, 2015 at 11:47 am
My very recent experience was quite different than what is stated here. I applied for the personal SPG card in 2014. After meeting 5k spend, I called about why bonus didn’t post. I was told “no clue, I’ll issue a ticket.” Fast forward 6 months, 3 more calks, and I decide I’m going to get to the bottom of this. I finally get a supervisor who calmly states that I had this same card in 1999, so was not eligible for a bonus. I didn’t even remember having had it until she reminded me. I pointed out that I had not received ANY bonus back then and she was quite insistent that it didn’t matter. According to her, if you ever had the card, no bonus for second card, regardless of previous bonus (or lack thereof ).
Needless to say, I was a very unhappy camper, and was so pissed to have wasted that 5k+ of spend!

Last edited by LWT3; May 17, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Most of the bloggers are just hacks trying to score sign-up commissions.

It's possible DoC is right re: getting the difference, but I can't recall seeing a single report of that happening to anyone here in the past year.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:56 pm

My spouse applied for the 100k offer. The points posted 2 days after the $3000 spend. Airlines reimbursement also posted 2 days after the charges appeared online. FYI, Ameriprise Platinum is still open, so definitely it's a different product from Regular Platinum.
Old May 19, 2016, 4:54 pm

Anyone get their cards shut down and points frozen after using that 100k link? I read at other forum that there's a mass shut down and frozen points going on.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by trikotret
Anyone get their cards shut down and points frozen after using that 100k link? I read at other forum that there's a mass shut down and frozen points going on.
I can't imagine that's true. That's a lot of lost customers, and a lot of ill-will generated for a mistake that was Amex's fault.

Mine looks fine, and the agent I talked to today about a travel notification didn't say anything about a freeze or shutdown.
Old May 19, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I can't imagine that's true. That's a lot of lost customers, and a lot of ill-will generated for a mistake that was Amex's fault.

Mine looks fine, and the agent I talked to today about a travel notification didn't say anything about a freeze or shutdown.
This is where I read it. Unless I read it wrong.
Amex new wave of CC shutdowns
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=62525
Old May 19, 2016, 5:08 pm
Suspended

No idea if it's true, but wouldn't be surprised. Judging by the way some of FT's churners operate, a lot of people were probably spending $3,000 on Day 1 and then trying to use the points the same day they posted, with the intention of cancelling the card ASAP to get the annual fee refunded. Hard to blame Amex for cracking down on such people.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
No idea if it's true, but wouldn't be surprised. Judging by the way some of FT's churners operate, a lot of people were probably spending $3,000 on Day 1 and then trying to use the points the same day they posted, with the intention of cancelling the card ASAP to get the annual fee refunded. Hard to blame Amex for cracking down on such people.
That makes sense, could be some sort of FR.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:24 pm

This is where I read it. Unless I read it wrong.
Amex new wave of CC shutdowns
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=62525
That DDF thread is an eye opener. Sounds like a ill-intended crack down by AmEx but they seem to be using poor tactics (IMO)
Old May 19, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTT AA PLT
I open my 100k platinum when I saw that offer, website gave card numbers, and I finished spending 5 min after approval. 100k bonus posted even before I received the card. So far no shut down. I won't cancel until next year, does not worth the risk to play it that hard. Back to the days I had 4 AA Exc finished spending within 90days but never ''ask citi to pay me $200 and 100k to open their card'. All were real spending.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:27 pm
Suspended

The linked thread above was started on May 6 and the first post claims the shutdowns started "48 hours" before that, but the Platinum 100k offer was only available to the public on May 9. Whatever triggered the rumored shutdowns, it appears they started ~5 days before the Platinum 100k offer was available to the public.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:57 pm

Those people definitely deserve to be shut down, and to have the points revoked. They are the reason why this hobby is getting less and less lucrative every day.

I on the other hand intend to keep the card for the foreseeable future. Was just waiting for the 100K offer to come back around before I signed up.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:16 pm
Suspended

I on the other hand intend to keep the card for the foreseeable future. Was just waiting for the 100K offer to come back around before I signed up.
Same here; it was the last card I wanted and I had been waiting for many months. I thought the May 9 thing was Amex's occasional "public offer" that people have talked about, but it looks like it might have been a mistake by Amex or something nefarious by someone with a referral code, etc.

I haven't spent a dollar on the new Plat card yet, nor have I ever churned a credit card, so I assume I'd pass any internal review they might be conducting. (If Amex wasn't going to honor the offer as a general matter, it seems like it would have just said so.) Time will tell, I guess.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:31 pm

Same here; it was the last card I wanted and I had been waiting for many months. I thought the May 9 thing was Amex's occasional "public offer" that people have talked about, but it looks like it might have been a mistake by Amex or something nefarious by someone with a referral code, etc.

I haven't spent a dollar on the new Plat card yet, nor have I ever churned a credit card, so I assume I'd pass any internal review they might be conducting. (If Amex wasn't going to honor the offer as a general matter, it seems like it would have just said so.) Time will tell, I guess.
I just completed the 3K spend, so we'll see what happens. I also used the fee credit to buy DL gift cards.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:23 pm

They are also talking about it on this site too.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/membership-rewards-accounts-frozen-new-platinum-cardholders/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.