FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express USA contactless cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1748409-american-express-usa-contactless-cards.html)

tmiw Jul 24, 2019 10:15 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 31337517)
Do the USA issued contactless Amex cards work on the London tube? I've the Delta co-branded platinum card and the regular Amex Platinum card, could use either of them (though I suppose if one works, both should work).

Thanks!

Weirdly my response before the thread got merged with this one got dropped. In short, physical cards have traditionally worked in the past but Apple/Google Pay hasn't worked. (AmEx recently changed how Apple/Google Pay's provisioned, though, so they should work as well now.)

alexjohnson Jul 25, 2019 4:30 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31337595)
Weirdly my response before the thread got merged with this one got dropped. In short, physical cards have traditionally worked in the past but Apple/Google Pay hasn't worked. (AmEx recently changed how Apple/Google Pay's provisioned, though, so they should work as well now.)

Interesting. Roughly when was this change? In Apple Pay, do you have to remove the card and add it back, or should it just work now?

tmiw Jul 25, 2019 8:29 am

Originally Posted by alexjohnson (Post 31340369)
Interesting. Roughly when was this change? In Apple Pay, do you have to remove the card and add it back, or should it just work now?

It happened a few months ago. I think you can just use it, but to be safe, deleting and re-adding the card is a good idea.

Cricket9 Jul 25, 2019 4:18 pm

My contactless Amex Hilton card worked on TFL without any problem earlier this month. Also Amex PRG added to Apple Pay worked in May.

Points Scrounger Jul 25, 2019 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cricket9 (Post 31342781)
My contactless Amex Hilton card worked on TFL without any problem earlier this month. Also Amex PRG added to Apple Pay worked in May.

I kept the Hilton card in my shirt pocket while running around the city for a few days last year. Worked flawlessly tapping each time, very pleased with the experience.

fliesdelta Jul 26, 2019 4:24 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31337551)
The plastic card will work, see HERE. The metal card may not work, but we do not have a recent report. Please try it and let us know.

I've been using my metal Platinum card without any problems for the last 24 hours.

alexjohnson Jul 27, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31341004)
It happened a few months ago. I think you can just use it, but to be safe, deleting and re-adding the card is a good idea.

Thanks. Has anyone tried a Corporate card with Apple Wallet on the tube? These (notoriously) don't have contactless and that's why the wallet functionality looked like it would be so useful for public transport. I am assuming Amex doesn't provision different cards differently, but it wouldn't shock me.

D582 Jul 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by alexjohnson (Post 31348061)
Thanks. Has anyone tried a Corporate card with Apple Wallet on the tube? These (notoriously) don't have contactless and that's why the wallet functionality looked like it would be so useful for public transport. I am assuming Amex doesn't provision different cards differently, but it wouldn't shock me.

It works

QtownDave Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by alexjohnson (Post 31348061)

Now have a Oyster card but have used the iphone in the past.

risenmyth Oct 8, 2019 9:27 pm

Mailed a Plat Contactless Card

So I currently have a metal Plat and they just recently mailed me a contactless version of the Plat.
I have no intention of activating the new one, although I'd like to keep both.

Any issues with just keeping it un-activated and continue using the old one (expiration date/CID)?

krazykanuck Oct 8, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by risenmyth (Post 31607828)
Any issues with just keeping it un-activated and continue using the old one (expiration date/CID)?

Yes, your old card will likely stop working in a month or two, and you'll get an email reminding you of this if you leave the new card unactivated. This happened to me earlier this year when Amex sent me a replacement card that I didn't ask for. I was in the midst of moving and never knew about it until I got an email saying "hey, your Platinum card is about to be deactivated because we sent you a new one" since they sent it to my old address and my real estate agent picked it up and didn't bother to tell me.

I don't see what the big deal is, just use the new card. :confused:

Travelchurner Oct 8, 2019 10:20 pm

If you want the non-contactless, this can be requested. The exp/CID will be different.

risenmyth Oct 9, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 31607852)
Yes, your old card will likely stop working in a month or two, and you'll get an email reminding you of this if you leave the new card unactivated. This happened to me earlier this year when Amex sent me a replacement card that I didn't ask for. I was in the midst of moving and never knew about it until I got an email saying "hey, your Platinum card is about to be deactivated because we sent you a new one" since they sent it to my old address and my real estate agent picked it up and didn't bother to tell me.

I don't see what the big deal is, just use the new card. :confused:

Oh, it's just that I don't bring out either of the cards since I just use it exclusively for hotel/flight bookings, so it stays in my notebook of cards. I didn't see a point of a replacement card, or annoyance of updating all my payment methods with the new expiration/CID.
But this it great information, I will activate and update my payment methods.

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 31607901)
If you want the non-contactless, this can be requested. The exp/CID will be different.

Oh! So I can request another non-contactless card to replace the contactless card that they just mailed?

tmiw Oct 9, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by risenmyth (Post 31610051)
Oh! So I can request another non-contactless card to replace the contactless card that they just mailed?

I've heard that AmEx isn't allowing conversions back to non-contactless anymore but YMMV.

Travelchurner Oct 9, 2019 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31610172)
I've heard that AmEx isn't allowing conversions back to non-contactless anymore but YMMV.

I've done this in the last 30 days.