Wiki Posts
Search

Reducing CL to help with approval?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Reducing CL to help with approval?

It's a common technique with Citi and Chase, to decrease existing CL before applying for new cards. I've never needed to with Amex, since they've always given me puny CLs but approved anything I ask. However, a family member currently has 15k CL on a biz card. They only need maybe 2k and don't want it to adversely impact future apps (personal and business). They also prefer not have to call in to shuffle CL.

What's the recommended course of action in this case? Does reducing biz CL help with personal app?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:30 pm
Suspended

I started a thread here about this a few weeks ago and there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus.

In my case, I have about $15,000 in excess CL on a couple of co-branded cards, which I suspect hurt me when I applied for the Platinum. Unlike with Chase and Citi, however, it's not at all easy to get a credit analyst on the phone to discuss the matter or request a reduction or reallocation.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you have only one American Express (USA) credit card, and you intend to apply for another there is no apparent benefit to reducing the limit. If the credit exposure is too high American Express will likely just reduce the limit on the old account when opening the new one, and notify you after the fact that this was done.

If you already have two or three credit cards, and if you prefer the limit be reduced on a specific card when opening another, it may work to reduce the limit before applying, but I wouldn't bother. Just apply and negotiate the reallocation on approval.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Agree. I had mine adjusted before upon approval automatically.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Anyone have experience with the CL on their Amex credit card(s) being reduced as part of an approval for a charge card? I'd like to add a Plat to my PRG, but I feel like my credit allocation with Amex might be out of whack. Amex gave me a ~$20,000 limit on a Delta card that I only use with Delta (and sometimes not even with Delta).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
Just apply and negotiate the reallocation on approval.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.