Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Platinum loses Accor Platinum, gains Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, and Melia Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Platinum loses Accor Platinum, gains Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, and Melia Gold

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Received a letter yesterday confirming that the relationship with Accor is over effective 15 April 2016, so the Platinum benefit is withdrawn. If your Accor status renews before the end of April, though, you'll retain Platinum for another year.

To make up for that, Hilton HHonors Gold is becoming part of the Amex UK Platinum portfolio, as is Shangri-La Jade (mid-level status that gives late checkout, etc), and Melia Gold. All in all probably a wash.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Received a letter yesterday confirming that the relationship with Accor is over effective 15 April 2016, so the Platinum benefit is withdrawn. If your Accor status renews before the end of April, though, you'll retain Platinum for another year.

To make up for that, Hilton HHonors Gold is becoming part of the Amex UK Platinum portfolio, as is Shangri-La Jade (mid-level status that gives late checkout, etc), and Melia Gold. All in all probably a wash.
Hilton Gold will be useful to many. Given this is a UK card, I suspect the number of times cardholders will use the Shangri-la or Melia benefits will be reasonably low, so for many they really aren't much of a benefit. I know I'll not be rushing to apply for them.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tangey
Hilton Gold will be useful to many. Given this is a UK card, I suspect the number of times cardholders will use the Shangri-la or Melia benefits will be reasonably low, so for many they really aren't much of a benefit. I know I'll not be rushing to apply for them.
That was my thinking as well. If you're UK based and travel to Asia frequently (where you can actually stay in Shangri-La hotels) you'd probably already have some sort of status. I suppose it's wallet candy that gets you breakfast and a late checkout. Hilton is of no use (yet) to me since I already have Diamond, but may be in the future, as I can't see myself retaining it beyond next year.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Melia and Shangri-La are not much use to me. Hilton will be useful once mu Diamond runs out, and a shame losing Accor.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
A good post by Raffles on HFP:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/02...lia-shangrila/
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

An excellent review indeed.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: * Gold, BA Gold
Not only for UK cards. French card here and received the letter today.

I must say that Shangri-La is completely useless to me as well as Melia.

Mélia reward gold doesn't even give room upgrade and their hotels are very so so.

Last edited by FCO36; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:13 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:32 am

Germany loses Accor Platinum as well. No letter yet, just a note on the webpage that signing up for Accor Platinum ends 31 March. Also no info on Shangri-La or Melia Status. I inquired several times but Amex Germany currently has no knowledge of Shangri-La or Melia Status. However, the fact that the German Amex reps have no knowledge is not really unusual and certainly doesn't mean Germany won't get Shangri-La and Melia as well
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Amex Platinum
I'm a Spanish card holder - and have had the same communication.

Note however I've had Hilton Gold since I got my card before Christmas.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Didn't see anything about Accor on the CA Plat website. Hilton was added though.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
How long are people waiting to get their Hilton status updated? I filled out the form when it went live for my supp card holder, and he's still blue.

TIA.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia

As Accor/Sofitel disappears, I just signed up to try out Shangri-La, although not sure how long it will take to receive status. My UK based ICC Centurion provided me a WOW offer of a USD$500 credit for staying at a Shangei-La before March 31 so I booked a suite for two nights on a trip later this month.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:37 am

just got renewed my Acvor platinum status, with Amex in Austria
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Same story here in Finland - except no Hilton gold status! Shangri-La and Melia has been here since last summer. I hope they will add Hilton in Finland too!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone can book SL through one of SL's preferred travel agencies and get SL Jade
SL Jade also includes guaranteed room (not villa) availability
and additional benefit for guests booking through those agencies - 'no walk' policy

SL hotels include london, paris, canada, tokyo for example, all new luxury properties

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.