Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bait & switch? [Letter offers different bonus than envelope.]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Got an offer for a Sky Miles AmEx card that states 50,000 bonus miles on the envelope. The letter inside offers only 35,000 bonus miles if applied for by 2/16/16. Have called both Delta and AmEx and gotten the "I'm sorry, I don't show a 50,000 bonus miles offer attached to your account" run around.

Has anyone else had this happen? How should I go about getting the better offer?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
File a compliant with the consumer financial agency after you have reach out to them several times and can't resolve it. They will be the middle man with your compliant and the bank if have done wrong can't just make you run around in the phone automated tree.

i remember online it shows that most get reply in 15 days
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Does it state 50K bonus miles on the front, or 50K miles for the a $15K spend?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Does it state 50K bonus miles on the front, or 50K miles for the a $15K spend?
I've seen Chase Mileage Plus offers weasily-worded that way. Best practice would have been to take a screen shot of the offer's landing page and read every single footnote before applying. Also, sometimes the miles arrive over two billing cycles, so there's still hope. After doing a few dozen credit card offers, I've seen a lot of weirdness, but no out-right provable cheating.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ljlines
Got an offer for a Sky Miles AmEx card that states 50,000 bonus miles on the envelope. The letter inside offers only 35,000 bonus miles if applied for by 2/16/16. Have called both Delta and AmEx and gotten the "I'm sorry, I don't show a 50,000 bonus miles offer attached to your account" run around.

Has anyone else had this happen? How should I go about getting the better offer?
It's probably a 35k sign up bonus, plus 15k bonus for hitting some other target. Most the time the envelope says the total you could earn, not that it's one bonus for that amount.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:38 am

I think Delta occasionally offers 50k for a limited time instead of the lower amount. Is it possible that obsolete packaging was used? I'm not very familiar with credit card offers.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think Delta occasionally offers 50k for a limited time instead of the lower amount. Is it possible that obsolete packaging was used? I'm not very familiar with credit card offers.
Yes, it's entirely possible, which is why the footnotes in the offer terms and conditions are so important.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is an AMEX issue and I am moving this thread to the appropriate forum.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Felixishim
File a compliant with the consumer financial agency after you have reach out to them several times and can't resolve it. They will be the middle man with your compliant and the bank if have done wrong can't just make you run around in the phone automated tree.

i remember online it shows that most get reply in 15 days
Or you could just put it in the bin and get on with your life and busy-body less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.