Search

Amex Platinum Benefit: Hilton Gold

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell
I hope so. The last time I was at a Hilton with a "bulk TA rate" (not AMEX Travel, though), I got the on-property benefits (breakfast, wifi) but no points (and no stay credit, so far as I remember).
It may depend on if you're paying with cash or points, but I don't know. Last year I had a reservation with my mom for a weekend trip. She booked it through Amex Travel and paid for it with points, because it was a far better value than using Hhonors points. We were able to get them to recognize my Gold status at check in since my name was on the booking and she had a screenshot of my Hhonors card (I was at a meeting when she checked in) but no points or stay credit.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Don't care for the points, but would be nice if I qualified for the gold upgrade. Reading the thread , sounds like changes for upgrade for Gold is slim to none. Also sounds like a really busy hotel.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:38 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
I just got the AX HHONORS Surpass card. I think it gets me 100K if I spend $3000 in 3 months but I am not sure. Anyone can point to the right thread? Thanks
Old May 11, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by bizum
Apologies if this was covered but I could not find the answer - can I get gold benefits if I make the booking via the Amex Travel portal?
My experience as HH Diamond when booking though Amex Travel UK was

We kindly remind you that to get HHonor benefits and to collect points, you need to book through an Hilton channel.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Logged into my platinum page over the weekend and saw the Canadian Platinum Amex now has the ability to get Gold status with Hilton Honor. Tested it out on the supplementary card and got the upgrade within 1 business day.
Unfortunately, no Hilton Gold for Canadian Business Platinum
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by V9
I just got the AX HHONORS Surpass card. I think it gets me 100K if I spend $3000 in 3 months but I am not sure. Anyone can point to the right thread? Thanks
I think you need to check over in the Hilton Forum for the best discussion on Surpass. Here's the main thread but I don't know if it covers your particular sign-up bonus.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hlight=surpass
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:49 pm

Email from Hilton HHonors

I recently received an email from Hilton saying that I was about to lose my elite (Gold) status because I didn't travel enough in 2017. True enough but I am an Amex Platinum Card holder and thought that I would automatically become and remain a Hilton HHonors Gold member while I am a card member in good standing. Am I mistaken?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manhattan92
I recently received an email from Hilton saying that I was about to lose my elite (Gold) status because I didn't travel enough in 2017. True enough but I am an Amex Platinum Card holder and thought that I would automatically become and remain a Hilton HHonors Gold member while I am a card member in good standing. Am I mistaken?
Have you provided your Hilton Honors number to AMEX for this purpose? You have to do that for this benefit to kick in.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:26 pm

Yes, as I implied in my post, I am HHonors Gold only because I have the Amex Platinum card and had linked the accounts. I guess the basic question is:
Does the Hilton Gold benefit have an expiration date or am I am Gold at all times that I am an Amex Platinum?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by manhattan92
Yes, as I implied in my post, I am HHonors Gold only because I have the Amex Platinum card and had linked the accounts. I guess the basic question is:
Does the Hilton Gold benefit have an expiration date or am I am Gold at all times that I am an Amex Platinum?
I think the answer is that you are Gold but every year or so you need to renew the linkage/enrollment.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
I think the answer is that you are Gold but every year or so you need to renew the linkage/enrollment.
I linked my account once to get gold using my AMEX plat but never had to renew it since, I just stayed a gold. I don't remember ever having to renew the linkage, it has been at least 4 or 5 years that I had it on there without having to adjust it. Might be different for other though, but I've never had status fall off.
levilevi likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
I linked my account once to get gold using my AMEX plat but never had to renew it since, I just stayed a gold. I don't remember ever having to renew the linkage, it has been at least 4 or 5 years that I had it on there without having to adjust it. Might be different for other though, but I've never had status fall off.
IIRC for some of the status benefits you had to call Amex CS and they would conference in with Hilton or SPG or whoever to confirm your accounts and make the link. I haven't had to use Amex for status the past couple years so this info may be outdated.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that one must do something to retain SPG Gold, such as calling AmEx every year, but Hilton Gold seems to stick without any action on the cardholder's part.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My impression is that one must do something to retain SPG Gold, such as calling AmEx every year, but Hilton Gold seems to stick without any action on the cardholder's part.
+1, although SPG gold has stuck for the past 3 years without intervention on my part. In the past I had to call every other year or so.

In my experience those Hilton downgrade emails often seem to be triggered by the normal stays/nights/points counter, without consideration for non-earned status.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by monahos
+1, although SPG gold has stuck for the past 3 years without intervention on my part. In the past I had to call every other year or so.

In my experience those Hilton downgrade emails often seem to be triggered by the normal stays/nights/points counter, without consideration for non-earned status.
Ah, I stand corrected. I've earned SPG Platinum and HH Gold/Diamond through BIB means the past few years so haven't paid attention.

Good to know though as I will thankfully be dropping back to relying on Amex for status this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.