[UK] Amex Gold upgrade to Plat charge card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:38 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
[UK] Amex Gold upgrade to Plat charge card

Hi all,

You lot seem to know the answers to most things Amex so thought I'd ask here.

Recently applied for the Gold to Platinum charge card upgrade and wondered what will happen to:

- the direct debit on my gold card. Does that automatically flip over to the platinum one when the account is upgraded?

- my amex offers? the ones I've 'saved to card' for my gold card. Will they automatically apply for my new platinum card(s)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:06 am
rum
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
As far as I know, the answer would be yes to both.

Regards
Jorge
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:14 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFSV
As far as I know, the answer would be yes to both.

Regards
Jorge
Thanks, Jorge!

I suppose time will tell.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:44 am
rum
Original Poster

Replying to myself here, although I hope this information proves useful to others searching for it in the future:

- I successfully upgrade from Gold to Platinum using the link on Raffles' blog
- I received an email from the "Amex Network" informing me that "if [I] enrolled my previous Card ending in YYYYY in merchant offers through the Amex Network that are still available and not yet redeemed, your enrolment(s) have automatically been transferred to your new Card ending in XXXXX"

Hopefully these will now show on my account. Very happy with the smooth upgrade process with Amex.

It looks like my direct debit has remained the same and of course my MR accounts has also been retained.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: EK-BA-HH-Amex Plat-Gold KLM Starwood
Originally Posted by rum
Replying to myself here, although I hope this information proves useful to others searching for it in the future:

- I successfully upgrade from Gold to Platinum using the link on Raffles' blog
- I received an email from the "Amex Network" informing me that "if [I] enrolled my previous Card ending in YYYYY in merchant offers through the Amex Network that are still available and not yet redeemed, your enrolment(s) have automatically been transferred to your new Card ending in XXXXX"

Hopefully these will now show on my account. Very happy with the smooth upgrade process with Amex.

It looks like my direct debit has remained the same and of course my MR accounts has also been retained.
I recently got my Amex Plat, already had Amex Gold and didnt knew you can have upgrade option, So applied for Plat aswell. So far so good.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all
Also got an Amex PR Gold card and toying with the thought of upgrading to Amex Plat - what made you decide that it is worth the upgrade?
For me it is more for the FHR benefits, but was wondering whether it is worth it or perhaps I might just be better off booking holidays using BA Holidays and earn Avios off that as a BA Exec Club member instead?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:25 am
rum
Original Poster

For me it was because of the additional bonus MR points to upgrade to plat.

If you do want to collect Avios, the Amex BA PP card is probably better value at a lower annual fee and 1.5 Avios per £1 spent. Double points when used on BA flights and holidays.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:06 am

Bit of thread revival here but anyone have a link for a gold to platinum upgrade on the UK Amex. Link seems to be not working unless they've pulled it?

Literally checked it a few days ago and seemed to be working but unavailable atm.

Thanks
Kash
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Just tried it and it definitely seems to be down:
Originally Posted by American Express UK Website
Page Not Found
Our apologies but we could not find a page matching your request
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:40 am

Update:
For those wanting to upgrade, try calling Amex directly.
Called up and offered 15,000 as an upgrade incentive.

Cheers
Kash
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
May have been mentioned in another thread but for those wanting to upgrade and not getting a decent offer via the call centre, try sending a secure message.

Heard a couple of data points suggesting an offer of 10,000 MR points after a £1k spend via this method. Not as good as the 20,000 for £1k spend of course, but that may well reappear at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.