Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dispute issue with signed receipt w/ MacBook Pro

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Dispute issue with signed receipt w/ MacBook Pro

In December, my MacBook Pro laptop screen cracked. The crack was minor and hard to see, but the screen completely stopped working. The crack probably happened due to pressure (I didn't drop it or anything). The computer was still completely usable with an external monitor, so it wasn't the end of the world, but was annoying.

I brought the computer to the main authorized dealer in the country that I'm in (there are no official Apple stores). I have AppleCare so the laptop is still under that warranty, but it does not cover "accidental damage".

I showed the employee at the store the laptop and asked what the situation would be to fix it.

He said that they'd take my computer and send it to the repair center. If the repair was covered by warranty, it would be completely free. If not, it would cost ~$100 for the checking and additional money to repair (I'm not sure if the $100 could be credited to the repair fees or not).

At this point, I decided that since I'd be returning to America and since the laptop worked fine with an external monitor, I'd only get it repaired here if it were covered under warranty.

I asked if this was covered because I hadn't dropped the computer or anything like that, so thought that the crack may not be considered "accidental damage". He said that it might be covered but ultimately it would be up to the technician to decide. With that, I decided to take the chance that it would be covered and allowed them to take the laptop.

About a week later, I got an email from the technician saying it was not covered under warranty and I could either pay ~$800 or they'd send the laptop back and I could pay the $100 fee. I responded by asking:

Is it possible for there to be screen damage and for you to agree to fix it under warranty?
He replied:

Unfortunately it is not possible , the display damage of this kind can only be done by physical contact and not covered under warranty
by Apple guidelines . For service perspective you can contact Apple .
Based on this, I felt that I was misled by the first employee. I would not have given them the computer at all (and gone ~10 days without it) if I had known that it would *never* be covered (0% chance!). I understood that there was a chance that it was not, but for this kind of damage, there is apparently no chance of warranty coverage.

When I went to pick up the computer, I tried to argue this, but the manager did not agree with me. Therefore in order to get my computer back, I had to pay the $100 fee.

I paid w/ my AMEX Plat and then disputed the charge. The first response I got was as follows:

In response to our inquiry, the merchant has provided us with copy of signed charge receipt which we have attached for your reference.

Since services were rendered, we cannot request a full refund of the charge(s). Please provide all supporting documents and a detailed letter describing the events surrounding your claim, along with an amount requested for credit. In your letter, include dates, names of people you spoke with and all actions you have taken to resolve this matter.
I had not given email logs or anything, so then followed up by adding appropriate details and logs. The next response was as follows:

We acknowledge your claim of being misled by the merchant. However, since since the charge receipt was signed, the merchant obtained a valid authorization to place the charges on your Card. We at American Express, then, cannot nullify or negotiate the charge with the merchant on your behalf. We hope you understand our position in this matter.
So can anything be done here? They are acknowledging that I was misled, but I truly had no choice but to sign the receipt since it was the only way I'd get my computer returned!!
Old May 7, 2015, 3:31 pm

[email protected], [email protected]
Old May 8, 2015, 8:46 am

They acknowledged that you claimed you were misled, not that you were in fact misled. Big difference. When I read your post it appears that you weren't misled. Move on.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Short of Apple agreeing, and it won't because it is rigid for this kind of stuff, you are SOL on the dispute side. You can write to Apple asking that it issue a refund, you can sue Apple and you can report Apple to various consumer authorities if you believe that you were misled.

But, this does not sound as if you were misled. The employee with whom you first dealt does not deal with warranty issues, simply the paperwork and shipping associated with the return.

But, the bottom line here is that you agreed to pay the $100, so you are on the hook for it. The low-level clerk who receives the item has no knowledge of what is and is not covered by warranty and absolutely less than zero authority to vary from the terms, e.g, pay $100 and we'll let you know.

You also have a basic factual dispute with Apple. You say that there was no contact damage and Apple says that the damage can only occur with such contact. Perhaps someone else did something to it?
Old May 8, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Come on....You elude in your post that you think it was pressure that caused it to fail, and now you feel like you were misled?

I think Apple and AMEX are being misled here.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
He said that they'd take my computer and send it to the repair center. If the repair was covered by warranty, it would be completely free. If not, it would cost ~$100 for the checking and additional money to repair (I'm not sure if the $100 could be credited to the repair fees or not).

I asked if this was covered because I hadn't dropped the computer or anything like that, so thought that the crack may not be considered "accidental damage". He said that it might be covered but ultimately it would be up to the technician to decide. With that, I decided to take the chance that it would be covered and allowed them to take the laptop.
How were you misled in the slightest? Even from your story it is clear the $100 fee is for them to look at your computer. You took the gamble that the technician would cover the crack under warranty and it didn't pay off.

You mentioned that you'll be back in America, you can try your luck at an Apple store. They will probably tell you the same thing but they won't charge you $100.

I feel sorry for the merchant, dealing with fake chargebacks are a PITA.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tibs
...in your post that you think it was pressure that caused it to fail,
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
....The crack probably happened due to pressure (I didn't drop it or anything).
I read this to mean that cheesedawg thinks it was a manufacturing fault, with the bezel pressing too hard against the edge of the display, not that an unabridged dictionary was stored on top of it.
Old May 8, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by mia
I read this to mean that cheesedawg thinks it was a manufacturing fault, with the bezel pressing too hard against the edge of the display, not that an unabridged dictionary was stored on top of it.
I'm not seeing it that way after reading it again. These things are expensive and slapped together tight and I wouldn't expect an unabridged dictionary to be the breaking point.

Since I don't have enough facts to draw my own conclusion its not fair for me to judge so harshly so I retract it.

The crack appeared at some point, be it after traveling, moving, etc. Hotel cleaning dropping it, etc.

It didn't just appear out of thin air and dropping it isn't the only way to break one.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:24 am
Suspended

Unless OP had the thing in his possession 24/7 and a nanny cam focused on it when he went out, there is no way he can say that the item wasn't dropped or somehow manhandled. The fact that OP himself may not have caused the damage does not mean that it is not his financial responsibility.

Good to see that merchants with market power such as Apple are fighting back against chargeback abuse. Smaller merchants can't do this effectively and the rest of us pay for this stuff through higher prices.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, even if it was mostly negative.

I'll just provide a few clarifications and will probably drop this issue now.

1) I used the computer on the train in the morning and then a few hours later took it out at my desk and it was broken. It had a crack in it, so clearly I did something while it was in my possession that caused it, I'm not denying that. How it broke is not really relevant to the situation here based on Apple policy.

2) The talk with the person at the store was set up based on an appointment in which I specified the issue with my computer, so although it's not an Apple Store, it was essentially the same expectation you'd have going into a Genius Bar appointment. This wasn't just a random salesperson. I expected such a tech-employee to be knowledgeable about servicing policies.

3) If he just said OK the computer's cracked, it doesn't matter if you slammed it on the ground, slashed it with a knife, or sat on it, it's not covered by warranty, I would've said OK thanks, and left.

4) I completely understand not getting it fixed for free and did end up paying for it be fixed, but still believe that I was completely misled and am upset that I couldn't use my computer for over a week in addition to the $100 wasted.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:35 am

What country are you in?
Old May 10, 2015, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jesperss
What country are you in?
The OP makes clear that he was overseas when the damage ocurred, but that he dealt with Apple in the US on return. (He says "America", but let's chalk that up to other than territoriality !)
Old May 11, 2015, 2:56 am
Original Poster

The incident occurred in Israel and I eventually got it fixed in the US
Old May 12, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't AMEX extend MFG's warranty and cover accidental damage when purchased with the card?…...
Old May 12, 2015, 6:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Music4u
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't AMEX extend MFG's warranty...
Yes

and cover accidental damage when purchased with the card?…...
Only for the first 90 days after purchase, and only if purchased with the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.