Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by jk2
After reading this, I am confused. What charges are you talking about?

I have Busn Platinum card, enough MR points and want to pay for the business ticket with MR points and expect to get 50% back. Is it correct way? I just select "pay with points". What kind of charges here are assumed?
The way Amex processes Pay with Points transactions is the following:

1. Full cash cost of the ticket(s) is charged to your Amex card.
2. Based on the number of points specified, a credit is applied to your Amex card to offset the cost of the ticket(s).
3. Corresponding number of points is deducted from your Membership Rewards account.

If applicable:

4. Rebate of 50% of the points from step #3 is credited back to your Membership Rewards balance.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:00 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by akcae
The way Amex processes Pay with Points transactions is the following:

1. Full cash cost of the ticket(s) is charged to your Amex card.
2. Based on the number of points specified, a credit is applied to your Amex card to offset the cost of the ticket(s).
3. Corresponding number of points is deducted from your Membership Rewards account.

If applicable:

4. Rebate of 50% of the points from step #3 is credited back to your Membership Rewards balance.
Thanks! I never redeemed MR points for flights, so this process is new for me. I thought 'pay with points' works in the same way, as Thank you points redemption, UR redemption, etc. I hope I don't mess up with such redemption. I understand, there is choice to select Busn. Platinum card, right?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:33 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Sorry if I've missed it in the long thread, but has there been a definitive answer on whether using the personal card to "pay with points" receives 5x as well (assuming your personal and business cards are linked to the same MR account)? Post #130 doesn't seem encouraging.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
...using the personal card to "pay with points" receives 5x .
The purchase earns NO points because the amount is refunded.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The purchase earns NO points because the amount is refunded.
If the required points are insufficient, I assume the remaining cash price would earn the 5x. Can this be confirmed? TIA.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jeepie
...assume the remaining cash price would earn the 5x. ...
Don't think anyone has yet reported a partial reimbursement, but it will be straightforward to test.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:54 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Double dipping with both platinums would have been sweet. I can't see myself keeping both versions of the card.

Hypothetically, if you had both the personal and the business versions of the platinum, and wanted to lose one of them, which would it be?

Say a Delta ticket costs $1,000.

1) If you purchased this on Delta's website using the personal card, it would cost you $1,000 and you would gain 5,000 MR points.

2) If you purchased this via "pay with points" using the business card, it would cost you net 50,000 MR points.

In this scenario, assuming you had 100,000 MR points to begin with, and the ticket prices on delta.com and the amex portal are identical (is this typically the case?), you would come out further ahead using the business card (route #2), yes? Plus, the 10 wifi passes can come in handy as well.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Double dipping with both platinums would have been sweet. I can't see myself keeping both versions of the card.

Hypothetically, if you had both the personal and the business versions of the platinum, and wanted to lose one of them, which would it be?

Say a Delta ticket costs $1,000.

1) If you purchased this on Delta's website using the personal card, it would cost you $1,000 and you would gain 5,000 MR points.

2) If you purchased this via "pay with points" using the business card, it would cost you net 50,000 MR points.

In this scenario, assuming you had 100,000 MR points to begin with, and the ticket prices on delta.com and the amex portal are identical (is this typically the case?), you would come out further ahead using the business card (route #2), yes? Plus, the 10 wifi passes can come in handy as well.
You're comparing EARNING MR benefit vs REDEEMING MR benefit.

If all you care about is earning and redeeming on flights, then intuitively 5x should be better than 2x (i.e. 1/2 off; or even 3x if biz plat points earned at 1.5 MR), all else equal, so personal wins out.

But individual circumstances might dictate otherwise - if you have other category earning MR points or don't spend much on flights, then biz plat redemption might be more valuable.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:20 pm

Delta MQD?

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question, so please forgive me if it has been answered and I just couldn't find it.

I have the Business Plat AmEx card. I believe if I book a Delta ticket through AmEx Travel and use the Pay with Points option I will receive the MDM, right? Will I also receive the MQD?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by ajoy
I have searched and searched for an answer to this question, so please forgive me if it has been answered and I just couldn't find it.

I have the Business Plat AmEx card. I believe if I book a Delta ticket through AmEx Travel and use the Pay with Points option I will receive the MDM, right? Will I also receive the MQD?

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you purchase through the Amex travel portal, and pay with cash, points, or any combination thereof, the airline (DL or any other) will see it as a normal revenue/purchased ticket, and you will receive frequent-flyer program credit for it.

One caveat is with MQD/EQD -- sometimes the full fare cost detail isn't correctly transmitted to the airline and the qualifying dollars are then calculated based on the airline's no-fare-available table instead of fare+carrier-imposed fees. Most frequently this seems to happen with Citi, but I've seen it with Chase and Amex here and there too.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Been thinking a lot about this perk. I can't predict which economy redemptions I'll make next year because they'll be based on deals and we don't live in a hub (TPA). Most of our premium cabin award redemptions will still almost always make more sense as a point transfer.

The one exception is TPA-LGW is a preferred route for my wife and I that we would fly in economy. With that said it's a painful award redemption because of BA's surcharges. Additionally there isn't any competition on the route so it rarely drops below $700. Seriously contemplating making BA my airline of choice next year so we can redeem on this route for ~70,000 AmEx points (total).

Unfortunately there isn't a thread on here regarding AmEx Platinum statement credits on BA so it looks like I'll be a guinea pig...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:53 pm

Thank you for that information.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:03 pm
mia

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
... there isn't a thread on here regarding AmEx Platinum statement credits on BA...
BA is not an eligible carrier. The benefit is limited to a specified list of domestic USA airlines. You might be able to choose AA and book codeshare flights operated by BA, but you should investigate how AA's prices compare for identical flights.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
BA is not an eligible carrier. The benefit is limited to a specified list of domestic USA airlines. You might be able to choose AA and book codeshare flights operated by BA, but you should investigate how AA's prices compare for identical flights.
Skimmed the terms on AmEx's website which didn't appear to make any mention of it being limited to specific airlines, but when I hit submit on the post I thought "mia is probably going to burst my bubble on this." Good call on the AA codeshare! Now off to read the AA AmEx statement credit thread....
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:23 am

My MR account includes both the MB Platinum and the Business Platinum (which I just upgraded from Business Gold and have not received the actual card). If assume since the points are in one pool, the Business Platinum 50% rebate benefit will apply to all my points?

And if I choose Delta as the airline choice today, how fast the 50% rebate benefit kicks in? There is a delta flight I am interested in purchasing as the price just dropped last night. Can I use the Biz Gold card since I have not received the new Biz Platinum card (number is the same but not sure if the 4 digit code is)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.