Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by morphogencc
Is anyone finding this benefit particularly valuable?
It's a great perk, particularly if combined with IAP which has been a surprisingly good and perhaps unsung benefit.

However…

I bought two business class tickets to Dubai in June, one with points, one with cash, and I got 35% points back in July for the points purchase. Had to call in to get the other 15%. Waiting another month for the membership rewards to post resulted in 1.5X on the cash ticket (it was over $5K). I called customer service to inquire why not 5X, and was told "wait another 10 to 12 weeks." I knew that couldn't be right, so called again and was credited the points.

There are some bugs in the system. One needs to track the points carefully. Not all the reps are 100% knowledgeable. The first rep checked with a supervisor.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:10 am

Another Limitation

I just noticed on the AMEX website that the Business Platinum benefit is limited to 500,000 points per year:

"Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.**‡"

I didn't see this caveat covered in this Wiki, so am wondering if it's a new limitation. Also wondering if it applies to the Business Centurion.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:00 pm

Just got 35% of MR points on my grandfathered card. Points posted yesterday on a late June booking (about 31 days ago). On the last page, multiple people had to call AMEX to get the remaining 15%, but I hate doing that. Anybody have success with chat? Anybody have the remaining 15% post even without contacting AMEX?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Just got 35% of MR points on my grandfathered card. Points posted yesterday on a late June booking (about 31 days ago). On the last page, multiple people had to call AMEX to get the remaining 15%, but I hate doing that. Anybody have success with chat? Anybody have the remaining 15% post even without contacting AMEX?
See my post #688 . I also got a 35% bonus today on a grandfathered card. Will wait on the extra 15%. Should show up in less than 2 weeks.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4
See my post #688 . I also got a 35% bonus today on a grandfathered card. Will wait on the extra 15%. Should show up in less than 2 weeks.
I saw that post but was under the impression that you called because you mentioned calling in the post above it. So you didn't call?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
I just noticed on the AMEX website that the Business Platinum benefit is limited to 500,000 points per year:

"Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.**‡"

I didn't see this caveat covered in this Wiki, so am wondering if it's a new limitation. Also wondering if it applies to the Business Centurion.
It is new. It kicked in at the same time the rebate was reduced from 50% to 35%. I don't think most people noticed it b/c 500,000 is still a lot of points and means you needed to redeem roughly 1,500,000 in a year before exceeding the amount. Doesn't apply to most people.

It does not apply to Business Centurion which is still 50% and unlimited. Its actually one of the nicest benefits Amex has ever done for Centurion. Being able to use it for any airline in economy while still getting 50% makes Membership Rewards a very valuable and flexible points currency for Centurion card holders.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I saw that post but was under the impression that you called because you mentioned calling in the post above it. So you didn't call?
I did call but the additional 15% in post 688 was not a result of that call.

I expect the additional 15% for my latest purchase to show up in about 10 days.

I also have another 35% bonus due in 3 days.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by th14
It does not apply to Business Centurion which is still 50% and unlimited. Its actually one of the nicest benefits Amex has ever done for Centurion. Being able to use it for any airline in economy while still getting 50% makes Membership Rewards a very valuable and flexible points currency for Centurion card holders.
I get a lot of points via my corporate card program, so I would be willing to pay the Centurion fee for this benefit alone. Hard to get, however, as we all know.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
I get a lot of points via my corporate card program, so I would be willing to pay the Centurion fee for this benefit alone. Hard to get, however, as we all know.
I estimate the breakeven to be about 1,400,000 redeemed MR points. Sounds like you've done the math to know that's what you need to make up the difference between $450 AF and $2,500 AF. The direct financial benefit of Centurion prior to this program was questionable. They've been saying good things to come for Centurion for years without delivering anything. Needless to say, this is something tangibly good. However, considering how quickly they backpedaled on Platinum, I do question if this is permanent for Centurion even. I'd like to think it is but who knows.

To clarify, did you mean Corporate or Business Open? I know this is not a benefit for Centurion Personal and I did not think it was for Corporate. Corporate in particular is an entirely separate world with a distinct program. If you have the choice, you'll want to switch your Amex program from corporate to Business Open. That's the only way to get the Business Centurion. Otherwise, if your spend is on Corporate and you eventually qualify, you'd be offered the Corporate version. Business Open is an overall better program anyway.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:09 am

I just did my first pay with points for the business platinum card. Does Amex send an email saying I will get 50% points refunded?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
I just did my first pay with points for the business platinum card. Does Amex send an email saying I will get 50% points refunded?
No.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Adding a data point here:

6/22/17: Purchased two flights w/ points

7/24/17: 35% Points credited to account

8/2/17: Remaining 15% credited to account

I did not call AMEX at any point as I wanted to see if the 15% would credit after reading some other data points.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21
I usually get an email 2-3 days later from Amex saying the flight I booked qualified for the Airline rebate benefit. As many people here have noted, the rebate now posts about 31 days later. If you're still at 50%, you usually get the 35% on day 31 and then the last 15% will post 1-2 weeks later. No further action needed on your part.
super-mileage-fan and adeebm like this.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
When using Pay with Points, does the flight tend to code as whatever fare of the ticket you bought? Or does it code as some sort of special fare class? I'm looking to book some AA international Y fares, and am trying to figure out how many miles I would get through Alaska MileagePlan for them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by th14
I usually get an email 2-3 days later from Amex saying the flight I booked qualified for the Airline rebate benefit. As many people here have noted, the rebate now posts about 31 days later. If you're still at 50%, you usually get the 35% on day 31 and then the last 15% will post 1-2 weeks later. No further action needed on your part.
Thanks, this is my 1st transaction and I picked my airline 1 day back, so just hope it goes through fine.

I just discovered this benefit, and since I am in the NYC area, this could be really useful on cheap coach flights, so am debating whether to take the 40% Avios bonus offer or keep the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.