Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:59 pm

It seems kind of coincidental that they started dragging out the rebate on the 50 percent right at the same time they decided to cut the benefit. I guess it could be a coincidence, but my BS meter is going off. I think they were faced with a benefit that was costing them more than they expected, and they decided to slow it down and then cut it right around the same time.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by mia
I would be surprised in a front line agent would have access to that type of information, and it would be irresponsible to share it outside the company. That said, I would not be surprised if the utilization rate of any new benefit is low. It takes sustained messaging to overcome inertia and change behavior.
Apparently, this was not an ordinary frontline employee. She said my call was routed to the MR line that specifically deals with the highest spenders in their system. It was actually a bit flattering, but I have no idea if it was just to lessen the blow of devaluation.

As far as the timeline for things posting normally is concerned, she only said "soon."
Old May 9, 2017, 1:00 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The question now becomes will the 50% or 35% post based on the issue date of the ticket, or the date they finally rebate the points? If the latter, I could see some shady dealings here where they just freeze rebates until June 1.
I bought a business class ticket a couple of days ago, for travel in August. While the 50% refund has not yet posted, I received an automated email from Amex stating that my trip is eligible for, and will receive, the 50%. Thus, I assume the 50% is based on the date you book, not when the rebate posts or when travel occurs.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not worth the 50% if they do not price the flights correctly.

Just tried to book a Delta ticket and Amex is charging way more than Delta or Expedia or Orbitz.
BNA-LGA-BNA Oct 5 -Oct 16 First Class

Delta $520
Orbitz $542
Expedia $520
AMEX : $2,073 (drops to $1,218 on the payment page)

NUTS.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Not worth the 50% if they do not price the flights correctly.

Just tried to book a Delta ticket and Amex is charging way more than Delta or Expedia or Orbitz.
BNA-LGA-BNA Oct 5 -Oct 16 First Class

Delta $520
Orbitz $542
Expedia $520
AMEX : $2,073 (drops to $1,218 on the payment page)

NUTS.
Use ITA to get the flights with booking codes, then call them by phone to re-create the same thing. I need to do that with Chase quite often - any pushback, just keep escalating.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:01 am

50% rebate from 4/12 booking posted.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Were there some reports of people claiming they were calling in and receiving the 50% points back, simply by calling?

I just got off the phone with a agent and supervisor who said that AMEX was making no exception to the 50% refund of points being applied earlier than the 10 to 12 weeks according to their terms and conditions.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
Were there some reports of people claiming they were calling in and receiving the 50% points back, simply by calling?

I just got off the phone with a agent and supervisor who said that AMEX was making no exception to the 50% refund of points being applied earlier than the 10 to 12 weeks according to their terms and conditions.
They lied.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by thexfactor
They lied.
I think it waa way back when it first started to slow in April. Not anymore though
Old May 14, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
I think it waa way back when it first started to slow in April. Not anymore though
They like to you, too.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Just had a 50% rebate post on 5/14 for a flight I booked on 4/13. It was a reservation I canceled within 24 hours. Here's hoping that more rebates continue to post!
Old May 15, 2017, 3:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by thexfactor
They lied.
Who are they? The posters or the customer service agents?
Old May 15, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
Who are they? The posters or the customer service agents?
Thought it was pretty clear from the context -- in any case, I was referring to the reps.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:12 am

4/13 pay with points
5/14 50% rebate posted very late in the day

so, a month & a day is the new guideline for the wait
Old May 15, 2017, 9:44 am

4/13 booking has posted 50% rebate but 4/17~4/19 have not. Looks like we can confirm this delay was intentionally set for ~31 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.