Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:13 am

Only the regular (no-cobrand) platinum card can be downgraded. I believe you can also downgrade the business platinum as well.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:25 pm

EDIT- deleted dumb question.

Last edited by GunneRy; Sep 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DrForce
Only the regular (no-cobrand) platinum card can be downgraded. .
I believe we do have a few reports of co-branded Platinum cards downgraded to Green or Gold, even when there is no co-branded version of the lower tier card. I cannot say if these were true downgrades or if the CSR processed a simultaneous cancellation/application.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:50 pm

Schwab Investor Card from American Express

Is this card considered a 3rd party or does it count toward the max amount of Amex you can have?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Schwab cards are issued by American Express and count against the limit. However, there is no known limit on charge cards. The limit of credit cards is now reported to be five: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:46 am

How long to wait until I can transfer MR points to Schwab?

I got approved for this card 5 business days ago and I'm still not seeing my MR information in my Schwab account. Can I transfer MR points to Schwab over the phone, or do I need to patiently wait for the website to update?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerAtoZ
I got approved for this card 5 business days ago and I'm still not seeing my MR information in my Schwab account. Can I transfer MR points to Schwab over the phone, or do I need to patiently wait for the website to update?
You need to add your card to your americanexpress.com account and you can transfer from there.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:19 am

Any recent data point on this?

A reddit thread (on 10/4) says that "Ameriprise Platinum ..... counted as a prior Platinum card" and the OP did not receive his bonus. Yet a flyertalk wiki indicates the opposite. Since I've had both the regular Platinum and the MB version in the past, I wonder if I'm still eligible for the Schwab bonus. Or is this a YMMV thing?

Originally Posted by happyvoid
isn't the Mercedes Benz Amex better since it is 75 mr rather than the low 40k mr from schwab
Originally Posted by TMM1982
People can get both
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kaitlin
Any recent data point on this?

A reddit thread (on 10/4) says that "Ameriprise Platinum ..... counted as a prior Platinum card" and the OP did not receive his bonus. Yet a flyertalk wiki indicates the opposite. Since I've had both the regular Platinum and the MB version in the past, I wonder if I'm still eligible for the Schwab bonus. Or is this a YMMV thing?
The only time I've heard of Amex denying the bonus on a Platinum card for having had an Ameriprise Platinum previously was on those who used the May 2016 100k Amex Platinum targeted link that got shared en masse. Amex seemed to have used any reason they could conjure to deny bonuses for those applicants.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:27 pm

I've got the bonus on the personal platinum (100k), Schwab platinum (40k), and MB platinum (75k). No clawback thus far. I did not get the May 2016 Personal platinum though.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:56 am

I got the 40K Schwab bonus when I replaced my regular Platinum card with the Schwab.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:19 pm

Just got the Schwab bonus points posted... I love how there are many versions of the Platinum Card.. though I hope they add more since I'm running out!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:16 pm

Datapoint- opened a Schwab high yield checking and Schwab One brokerage (to avoid a minimum on both) and both were closed due to too many checking accounts being opened. And they refused to purge the hard pull.

Just an FYI.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:07 pm

Waiting for DPs about 1099. Opened Schwab Plat last week. No transfer of points yet
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:58 am

I did a small 30,000 point transfer this month to "test" whether a 1099 is delivered next year. Waiting anxiously...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.