Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab OneŪ Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab OneŪ or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Ameriprise Platinum has a feature which is seldom discussed:

5,000 additional Membership RewardsŪ points for every $20,000 in eligible spending, up to 30,000 additional Membership Rewards points annually
That's exactly the same 25% bonus as SPG $20000=25000 miles that people are perpetually excited about, and it's far better than the feeble 7% bonus that Chase Sapphire Preferred eliminated, but not as good at Blue for Business' 30% bonus, nor Everyday Preferred's 50% bonus.

Last edited by mia; Mar 21, 2016 at 8:20 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
I like the Schwab card details. I can get the perks for a reduced AF, and I can put most of my spending on cards with better earn rates.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:57 pm

Too bad the fees link isn't yet up, or at least wasn't when I checked. A unique feature of the Morgan Stanley Platinum card is that they waive the fee for an authorized user. I wonder if this is something the Schwab one will offer as well.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Link does not work. Are these applications actually currently available? Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Link now works

Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In order to apply online for an American Express Platinum CardŪ for Schwab you must log in to your Charles Schwab account. If you do not have a log in, please click "New User?"
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:24 pm

Here is a link for information on the Schwab cards

Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:33 pm

FYI- I was told if you open a checking account with them they automatically open a Schwab One Account for you.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by billatq
Too bad the fees link isn't yet up, or at least wasn't when I checked. A unique feature of the Morgan Stanley Platinum card is that they waive the fee for an authorized user. I wonder if this is something the Schwab one will offer as well.
The Ameriprise 1st year also allows fee-free authorized users.

Interestingly, I did click on the Rates & Fees, and didn't see anything either way regarding whether the AU has a fee or not.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes
The Ameriprise 1st year also allows fee-free authorized users.

Interestingly, I did click on the Rates & Fees, and didn't see anything either way regarding whether the AU has a fee or not.
Additional User fees are not waived. Standard 175$ for 3. You have to go all the way to apply to check it. Not necessarily apply though.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
For an existing Schwab and Platinum card member - which I am - with enough value in my Schwab accounts, getting an extra $100 or $200 per year is likely to be worth switching (apply for one, cancel the other) to the Schwab version of the Platinum card.

I'm unlikely to use the MR=>Investment at 1.25c though.

And then earning a 40K bonus as well is even better!

EDIT: That was easy - I applied and was approved, with my wife's extra card, in under 5 minutes. After my FHR stay next week, I'll call and cancel the existing cards.

Last edited by CRAZ8; Mar 31, 2016 at 5:54 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
For an existing Schwab and Platinum card member - which I am - with enough value in my Schwab accounts, getting an extra $100 or $200 per year is likely to be worth switching (apply for one, cancel the other) to the Schwab version of the Platinum card.

I'm unlikely to use the MR=>Investment at 1.25c though.

And then earning a 40K bonus as well is even better!

EDIT: That was easy - I applied and was approved, with my wife's extra card, in under 5 minutes. After my FHR stay next week, I'll call and cancel the existing cards.
Didn't think it all the way through and jumped the gun canceling my personal plat after instant approval. The schwab relationship will make it worth more to me than the regular plat. Got enough united/aa/spg points to last for years so might actually cash out some amex points for deposits... hopefully it won't be taxed.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:04 am
Suspended

Think I'll get the Schwab card in early Dec and get the $200 Airline credit. Hit min spend quick. Get $200 airline credit again in Jan and then cancel card once points post in order to get annual fee refunded. Love new products.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Think I'll get the Schwab card in early Dec and get the $200 Airline credit. Hit min spend quick. Get $200 airline credit again in Jan and then cancel card once points post in order to get annual fee refunded. Love new products.
I wouldn't do that, but then again I don't want to be blacklisted.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hiima
I wouldn't do that, but then again I don't want to be blacklisted.
I've almost maxed out on all AMEX's lifetime bonuses so not really much to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.