Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx UK - car rental benefits in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: QF SG
I'm going through the process of claiming with AXA for a an excess incurred with Hertz in Australia. AXA have requested a repairs breakdown including parts and labour but I'm still waiting on Hertz.

Has anyone else been through this process and any tips to speed up Hertz or if you can bypass with A A?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Not entirely relevent but as a point of reference.

Put in a claim over Christmas regarding a claim with RecordGo (Spain). AXA dealt with it and resolved it within several days. Super impressed.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by marconess
Not entirely relevent but as a point of reference.

Put in a claim over Christmas regarding a claim with RecordGo (Spain). AXA dealt with it and resolved it within several days. Super impressed.
Did they ask for the parts / labour breakdown from the rental company?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by bacook
Did they ask for the parts / labour breakdown from the rental company?
They asked for my rental agreement, a brief description of what happened.
Proof that I did pay it (I sent a screenshot of my online banking as I didn't pay with my Amex) and the invoice from the company.
Record go actually sent a solid breakdown of the damage invoice via email the day I returned the car.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:47 pm

Im looking into talking out the UK plat card soon, especially as i have a lot of travel this year.

With regards to car insurance, can anyone help me with the below
1) Do you have to pay for the rental with the plat? I would prefer it if i paid with my Santander Zero card as the rental is in USD (Cayman Island) and Santander cards has 0 fees
2) Do I need to use the plat card at the rental desk for when they hold the money for excess etc? Again, to the above point, i would rather use my Santander Zero

PS im based in the UK so would be taking the UK card

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You can read terms of Platinum (UK) insurance here:

https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...ation_v1_0.pdf

Some benefits require using the card to pay, but car rental benefits do not appear to have that requirement. Do not take my word for it. Read.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I have mixed feelings about Axa (via amex plat), whilst I havent had a car rental claim with them I have had an unsuccessful delayed luggage claim with them. My luggage was delayed flying from Copenhagen to london, and the next day I was flying to vegas. I was told that I cant claim because it was a trip via my country of residence. I queried this and asked how long the 'visit' to the home country would have to be, and they said any length. So for clarity I asked if I flew CPH-LHR-LAS with only a 1 hour stopover in london and my luggage didnt make it, would I be able to claim? "No" was the answer...
If true and correct, this would essentially get rid of at least one element of the travel insurance for any british card holder starting a trip in another country and flying BA to a 3rd destination (ex-eu start points are quite popular to get good BA fares)

However on the reverse, they did pay out on a recent medical claim I made, albeit they forgot one section of the claim. Once they had that section they then said that claim was above £400 so they needed more flight details etc.

My gut feeling is that their natural inclination is to do their hardest to wriggle out of paying a claim (which I guess is quite natural for an insurance company!). I had planned on cancelling this year, but will probably keep it since this claim has essentially paid for card membership for a year.

Last edited by aceman; Jan 21, 2020 at 4:43 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You can read terms of Platinum (UK) insurance here:

Some benefits require using the card to pay, but car rental benefits do not appear to have that requirement. Do not take my word for it. Read.

Thanks

I read this before making my earlier post, the T&Cs don't state anything about paying with the plat (or Amex in general) to receive this benefit, so im guessing i can pay however i want. I just wondered if this was the experience of others.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Isn't the requirement for the Amex Plat travel insurance (e.g. when claiming on flights) that the trip has to originate in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.