Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx losing the battle for big spenders?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Groceries 5x UR with Freedom. Transferable to airlines.
I maxed out the Freedom bonus on groceries by Jan. 2nd .
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knopfler
...by buying gift cards I presume.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
American Express introduced a free card which allows transfers to airline and hotel partners. Chase and Citi have not matched this.
This is kind of the point, though. I think that the Everyday is one of the best free cards out there; maybe the best. But Amex seems to be gaining ground on the low end and losing it on the high end. For the people who are only going to carry one $400 - $500 card in their wallets, I don't see the Plat as being a good choice right now for most people.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knopfler
Me too. I really like ice cream.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:21 pm
Suspended

I spend like $50 a week on groceries and won't make the 30 transaction per month. It will take me 250 weeks (or about 5 years) to reach 25,000 MR for roundtrip airfare!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spend like $50 a week on groceries and won't make the 30 transaction per month. It will take me 250 weeks (or about 5 years) to reach 25,000 MR for roundtrip airfare!
1. You are probably better off with the Everyday than the Everyday Preferred.
2. You are allowed to buy other stuff with the card too.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
1. You are probably better off with the Everyday than the Everyday Preferred.
2. You are allowed to buy other stuff with the card too.
Don't forget that only my local grocery store accepts AMEX. Everyone else does not.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by mia
As do Diners Club, HSBC, Starwood. My point is that none of these programs have compensated us for BAEC's devaluation, and I would not expect them to do so, but some dude's post suggested that a partner devaluation lowered the value of his American Express card. I think it lowers it only if other cards behave differently.
AA Miles are worth much more than Delta miles. Citi does not have to change anything to make the AA card's earning rate superior to the Amex earning rate.

Transferability is nice, but the point is that Amex MR program is no longer the best value.

Even within Amex's own line-up, the SPG card has better earning rates and transfer partners. While Flyertalkers may be aware of the other options at Amex, I don't know any big spender using that card.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that only my local grocery store accepts AMEX. Everyone else does not.
I can say with confidence that your local grocery store is not the only merchant in the US to accept Amex.

On a more practical note, I have only come across one merchant who accepts CCs but not Amex (a small corner store in my building). I'm sure that there are more, but it is not particularly widespread.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:53 pm

So what.
Lol...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Today, I broke my Comcast bill payment into 6 transactions to get a headstart on my Everyday card 20 transactions for the month.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
American Express introduced a free card which allows transfers to airline and hotel partners. Chase and Citi have not matched this.

American Express is building its own network of airport lounges. I do not see Chase or Citi or Bank of America doing anything similar.

American Express is offering free Boingo and (some) free GoGo internet access. Chase, Citi, Bank of America, anyone?
A free card is great, but those of us who are willing to pay a higher annual fee for more benefits are effectively being told to shop around. There's no better way to lose customers than to say what you previously took for granted is now gone. Another free card with less benefits isn't going to draw a customer back.

The Centurion lounges a response to the deterioration of benefits Platinum card holders paid a premium for. So while nice (minus the DFW bathrooms and general overcrowding), they in effect serve less people than what the Admiral's Club footprint provided by quite a large margin. We are not privy to the details of the negotiations (maybe AA had an exclusivity clause w/ Citi where AMEX could've handed over the keys to the company and AA would not have renewed their contract), but it doesn't feel like the replacement benefit suits the losses.

And Boingo isn't really useful to those who have 4G data plans, which I'm guessing is the majority of their Platinum cardholders. Public Wifi is almost always slower than most 4G plans (except Sprint), it seems like another missed mark here. Perhaps if GoGo in flight access were offered to everyone, you could consider it a perk. In it's current state (flight segments only, which means you have to burn however many "free" logins as you have flight segments), it is ticking a box rather than being a real benefit.

Also, I wasn't offered the 25k bonus for keeping the PRG, though I'm still eligible to receive the 15k bonus for 2015. We'll see what happens at the end of the year.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended

I can say with confidence that your local grocery store is not the only merchant in the US to accept Amex.

On a more practical note, I have only come across one merchant who accepts CCs but not Amex (a small corner store in my building). I'm sure that there are more, but it is not particularly widespread.
In my neighborhood, only the grocery store accepts AMEX.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Today, I broke my Comcast bill payment into 6 transactions to get a headstart on my Everyday card 20 transactions for the month.
Do you always go through this kind of hooplah to get some measly points?
What are you gonna do when AMEX says: you now must do 60 transactions per month to get the 20%. How about 100 transactions? 1000?

If AMEX would give 5x MR on the free EveryDay Card I would apply. Or if the signup bonus increases to 20,000 MR.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Feb 12, 2015 at 2:17 pm Reason: Edit: try to be nicer
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AMEX would give 5x MR on the free EveryDay Card I would apply. Or if the signup bonus increases to 20,000 MR.
It's 10k MR + a year of amazon prime, which is worth $99 if you'd buy it anyway. That is not as good as 20k MR but it's not bad either.

5x MR is crazy. You will never get that. MR are worth a lot. 5x MR is worth about 8 - 10% back.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
5x MR is crazy. You will never get that.
Chase issues cards which earn 5 points per dollar. To me it is the most appealing aspect of Ultimate Rewards.

Citi used to issue 5X cards. The cards are all discontinued, but many of us still have them. I doubt they will last long, because the points are more valuable than they were when those cards were issued.

American Express Everyday Preferred comes close. 3X at supermarkets, with a 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a month. In this case, the bonus applies to the category bonus, effectively 4.5 points per dollar at supermarkets, BUT capped at $6,000 per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.