Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR (USA) to AeroMexico, 20% transfer bonus 2.2.2015 - 3.6.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:41 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Get 20% more Premier Miles when you transfer Membership RewardsŪ points to your Aeromexico Club Premier account by 3/6/2015. Terms apply.
Starting at 1,000 Points
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:02 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Any good SkyTeam (or other) redemption opportunities with AeroMexico points?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Any good SkyTeam (or other) redemption opportunities with AeroMexico points?
A disclaimer-- I am a rookie and I may be completed wrong about all of this, so please verify my research independently. It seems that there are some really solid values for booking the lowest-level SkyTeam award fights via AeroMexico.

The MR>AeroMexico transfer bonus is 20%, but the interesting part is this-- AeroMexico actually has two award currencies. You'll be transferring your MR points into Club Premier Miles. However, the AeroMexico award chart is listed in KmP (aka Club Premier Kilometers). Club Premier Miles transfer into KmP at 1.6X (metric to standard conversion for award points... so strange). Click here for more info.

Here is a link to the AeroMexico Club Premier redemption chart.

Since 1 MR point is the equivalent of 1.92 KmP (1 MR x 1.2 transfer bonus to Club Premier Miles x 1.6 metric conversion = 1.92 KmP), there are some pretty decent values, IMO! For example, if you wanted to fly on Delta from the Continental USA>Hawaii redemption, the cheapest award level is 45k SkyMiles pp. For AeroMexico, the same award ticket would be available for 64k KmP.

64k KmP/1.92 = 33,333 MR, but you've gotta transfer in increments of 1,000, so... 34,000 MR points. You'd have to transfer 45k MR to Delta for the same redemption using Delta SkyMiles, so you'll save 25.9% or 11,000 MR.

USA/Canada to Hawaii (biz class)
128k KmP = 67k MR (vs 80k SkyMiles)

Here are some other good values, IMO:

USA/Canada to USA/Canada
Economy - 40k KmP = 21k MR (vs 25k SkyMiles)
Biz - 80k KmP = 42k MR (vs 50k SkyMiles)

USA/Canada to Europe
Economy - 80k KmP = 42k MR (vs 60k SkyMiles)
Biz - 128k KmP = Only 67,000 MR! (vs 125k SkyMiles, a 46% savings if you're transferring your MR points)

Another possible value-- AeroMexico still is offering the SkyTeam Go Round The World pass, which Delta cancelled at the beginning of this year. Their cost for a RTW ticket is 224k and 352k KmP for economy and business, respectively. That equals only 117k and 184k MR points for economy and business class RTW tickets! I think that is pretty incredible value for 117k/184k MR points. If you're an economy flyer, the 100k MR bonus for $10k min spend on the AMEX US Biz Plat will get you 94% of a RTW SkyTeam ticket. Pretty dang good, IMO.

For reference, before the Delta RTW ticket program was canceled on 1/1/15, the cost of an economy SkyMiles RTW ticket was 180k and the biz class RTW ticket was 280k.

One more thing-- need a few more KmP to complete your itinerary? You can purchase 1,000 KmP for $15 (max. 70k KmP per user, must be enrolled in the Club Premier program for 1 month prior to the purchase request).

Lastly, keep in mind that AeroMexico only has access to "N" economy and "R" business award domestic tickets on the Delta site (the cheapest reward flight levels). For international business class, they have access to "O" classes (not sure what international economy fare class they access). These can be pretty difficult to find, depending on the route and time of year. The other issue is that you have to call Club Premier and book these flights over the phone. The don't allow for online redemptions for US-based passengers.

Last edited by Patrickthetiger; Feb 6, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Patrickthetiger
A disclaimer-- I am a rookie and I may be completed wrong about all of this, so please verify my research independently. It seems that there are some really solid values for booking the lowest-level SkyTeam award fights via AeroMexico.
Keep in mind that AM tacks on a fuel charge plus taxes on top of the normal booking fee (around US$30) on many of their international redemptions. Not sure if this applies to redemptions on their ST partners. Even to redeem a RT within Mexico, you will be looking at around $100 in fees. A RT redemption US-MEX will run you around $225 compared to using Delta or Alaska miles at a cost of around $80 for the same itinerary. Economy availability on their metal is pretty good using AM miles, but it will just cost a lot more.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by eknock007
Keep in mind that AM tacks on a fuel charge plus taxes on top of the normal booking fee (around US$30) on many of their international redemptions. Not sure if this applies to redemptions on their ST partners. Even to redeem a RT within Mexico, you will be looking at around $100 in fees. A RT redemption US-MEX will run you around $225 compared to using Delta or Alaska miles at a cost of around $80 for the same itinerary. Economy availability on their metal is pretty good using AM miles, but it will just cost a lot more.
Just to follow up-- called in to get information on taxes and fees. For a RT biz/first class ticket from US to Italy (my specific query) the taxes and fees (including the $30 booking fee) were $750+.

Last edited by Patrickthetiger; Feb 10, 2015 at 1:32 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:27 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
J...$750+.
How does this compare with the fees that Alitalia or Flying Blue would charge?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by mia
How does this compare with the fees that Alitalia or Flying Blue would charge?
From my past experience with FB:

If flying on AF/KL/AZ metal across the Atlantic: around $525 RT. $260 on economy
If flying DL across the Atlantic with AF/AZ/KL EU connection: around $160 RT. $110 on Economy
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf

The MR>AeroMexico transfer bonus is 20%, but the interesting part is this-- AeroMexico actually has two award currencies. You'll be transferring your MR points into Club Premier Miles. However, the AeroMexico award chart is listed in KmP (aka Club Premier Kilometers). Club Premier Miles transfer into KmP at 1.6X (metric to standard conversion for award points... so strange). Click here for more info.

Here is a link to the AeroMexico Club Premier redemption chart.

Since 1 MR point is the equivalent of 1.92 KmP (1 MR x 1.2 transfer bonus to Club Premier Miles x 1.6 metric conversion = 1.92 KmP), there are some pretty decent values, IMO! For example, if you wanted to fly on Delta from the Continental USA>Hawaii redemption, the cheapest award level is 45k SkyMiles pp. For AeroMexico, the same award ticket would be available for 64k KmP.

64k KmP/1.92 = 33,333 MR, but you've gotta transfer in increments of 1,000, so... 34,000 MR points. You'd have to transfer 45k MR to Delta for the same redemption using Delta SkyMiles, so you'll save 25.9% or 11,000 MR.

USA/Canada to Hawaii (biz class)
128k KmP = 67k MR (vs 80k SkyMiles)

Here are some other good values, IMO:

USA/Canada to USA/Canada
Economy - 40k KmP = 21k MR (vs 25k SkyMiles)
Biz - 80k KmP = 42k MR (vs 50k SkyMiles)

USA/Canada to Europe
Economy - 80k KmP = 42k MR (vs 60k SkyMiles)
Biz - 128k KmP = Only 67,000 MR! (vs 125k SkyMiles, a 46% savings if you're transferring your MR points)

Another possible value-- AeroMexico still is offering the SkyTeam Go Round The World pass, which Delta cancelled at the beginning of this year. Their cost for a RTW ticket is 224k and 352k KmP for economy and business, respectively. That equals only 117k and 184k MR points for economy and business class RTW tickets! I think that is pretty incredible value for 117k/184k MR points. If you're an economy flyer, the 100k MR bonus for $10k min spend on the AMEX US Biz Plat will get you 94% of a RTW SkyTeam ticket. Pretty dang good, IMO.

For reference, before the Delta RTW ticket program was canceled on 1/1/15, the cost of an economy SkyMiles RTW ticket was 180k and the biz class RTW ticket was 280k.

One more thing-- need a few more KmP to complete your itinerary? You can purchase 1,000 KmP for $15 (max. 70k KmP per user, must be enrolled in the Club Premier program for 1 month prior to the purchase request).

Lastly, keep in mind that AeroMexico only has access to "N" economy and "R" business award domestic tickets on the Delta site (the cheapest reward flight levels). For international business class, they have access to "O" classes (not sure what international economy fare class they access). These can be pretty difficult to find, depending on the route and time of year. The other issue is that you have to call Club Premier and book these flights over the phone. The don't allow for online redemptions for US-based passengers.
^^ Wow that's pretty epic. I was gonna transfer straight to ANA to do a loophole booking, but this has peaked my interest. Anyone have experience trying to book this? Of course you can always fly from Brazil and Philippines to avoid fuel surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.