Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:34 pm

Was in SEA Wednesday. It was busy when I arrived but over the 90 minutes I was there it emptied out. The desk was trying to enforce a 1 guest per member but was meeting resistance from several members so they let them in with a "only 1 guest" next time scolding.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sdix
Was in SEA Wednesday. It was busy when I arrived but over the 90 minutes I was there it emptied out. The desk was trying to enforce a 1 guest per member but was meeting resistance from several members so they let them in with a "only 1 guest" next time scolding.
Why wouldn't they stick to their rules?:
Centurion® Members and Platinum Card® Members who receive complimentary access may enter with up to one guest or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge.
Seems pretty simple to me, if you are not with family, then it's only one guest. As an aside, I was there last Saturday night and it was maybe half full.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I tried MIA again. At 6pm it was pretty busy, but the staff found me a table, brought a glass of VC and made a spa reservation for me. Had a nice tortilla soup and a chicken dish and finished it off with an excellent Dalwhinnie. Things could be worse.

However when AA finally gets a Flagship lounge at MIA, that's probably where I'll go instead. Flagship lounges are exclusive and you can't say the same for US Centurion clubs.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agree completely. Implement a guest fee before restricting the number of visits for the primary cardholder.
Crowding happens with too many people, regardless of whether they're cardholders or guests of cardholders. Why not simply cap the number person-visits per year and let the cardholders decide how to use them?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by dhuey
Crowding happens with too many people, regardless of whether they're cardholders or guests of cardholders. Why not simply cap the number person-visits per year and let the cardholders decide how to use them?
I did receive the comment from an Amex Centurion Lounge Front Desk employee at SFO last week:

"limiting the number of visits per cardmember is coming soon"

Who knows though....might just be talk.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I think the best solution would be for Amex to identify peak and off-peak times for the lounge, and limit the number of visits per year during peak times. There's no reason to limit access when the lounge is empty, but when it's crowded, having an annual limit probably makes the most sense. The alternative is to not allow guests or family (like DL), but I think the limit makes a bit more sense. The other way would be to charge $10 per visit for Plat period.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Why not simply cap the number person-visits per year and let the cardholders decide how to use them?
What would you suggest as the number of admissions to allow for free?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe two free for Platinum members and they could purchase access beyond that with a max of two people each time. And of course unlimited for Centurion members and family. It's called the Centurion lounge after all.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Maybe two free for Platinum members and they could purchase access beyond that with a max of two people each time. And of course unlimited for Centurion members and family. It's called the Centurion lounge after all.
Two accesses per year? Personally, I'd immediately dump the card for one of the alternatives at Chase or Citi that give unlimited access to either the UA Club or Admirals Club as part of their benefits.

Personally I like the idea of restricting access during peak hours and dumping guest access. I find guests to be 50% of the problem at the overcrowded locations. They could also open a few more lounges and expand the ones that are chronically overused. I could definitely see a second SFO location opening in another terminal, 2 perhaps.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by cmd320
Two accesses per year? Personally, I'd immediately dump the card for one of the alternatives at Chase or Citi that give unlimited access to either the UA Club or Admirals Club as part of their benefits.

I could definitely see a second SFO location opening in another terminal, 2 perhaps.
I would get rid of my Platinum card as well if limited to only two free visits per year. And I would love a Centurion Lounge in Terminal 2 at SFO.

Centurion Lounge + Virgin America = my SFO routine
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great! My suggestion has already gotten two people to get rid of their Amex Plat cards. We can end the overcrowding real fast with this plan.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Great! My suggestion has already gotten two people to get rid of their Amex Plat cards. We can end the overcrowding real fast with this plan.
You can end the CL all together with that plan. The feasibility of the lounge would fall off a cliff if the majority of Plat cardholders were to bail on their cards.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
You can end the CL all together with that plan. The feasibility of the lounge would fall off a cliff if the majority of Plat cardholders were to bail on their cards.
I was joking with my extreme suggestion, but whatever restrictions they put on access I doubt that it will impact more than 1% of Platinum memberships.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Hard to say without access to the data. For me, I think 10 person-visits per year would be very reasonable, given how the cost of the Amex Plat is effectively $250/year, and there is plenty of benefit in access to Fine Hotels & Resorts.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:41 pm

Hard to say without access to the data. For me, I think 10 person-visits per year would be very reasonable, given how the cost of the Amex Plat is effectively $250/year, and there is plenty of benefit in access to Fine Hotels & Resorts.
Hmmmm. At $450 per year, already a fee for guests on DL... I say add and enlarge lounges. They have the money. Lounges are the plat perk I most use. And MR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.