Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Pt.
PTS not helpful?

I called American Express Platinum at (800) 525-3355 for help figuring out how to use my AMEX points by transferring them to an airline program that would make sense for a long journey. They refused to help me, saying they could only help me find (and book) using the pay with points method.

Am I asking for too much? or did I have bad luck or did I call the wrong number? Because I am overwhelmed. My destination is set. My dates and route are flexible so I’m thinking I should be able to get a better deal than payWithPoints.

Today I realized maybe I didn’t call PTS, since I didn’t dial 1-800-443-7672.

(I tried to help myself first by following the advice to check out, eg the KrisFlyer program, so I joined it but couldn’t find anything sensible, despite the recommendation. )

I’m confused. I thought I should be able to, if I’m shopping around, get something like two cents per point value on air travel but I can’t even find 1cent/point. Am I not finding good value because I’m looking for coach tickets?

I’m not supposed to mention the city pairs we are looking to travel between if I post in this particular sub-forum, right? so I’m not.

The cash price for the tickets are about 850 per person.

Oh and I’m sorry if I’m posting wrong/in the wrong place. I’m trying to learn my way around. First post. If there’s a platinum card program benefits sub, I can’t find it.

Last edited by elvey; Mar 23, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:27 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
What you’re looking for is indeed outside the scope of the services Amex offers. It sounds like you might benefit from an award booking service.
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Welcome to FT! As mentioned, this is not a PTS issue; I've requested mods change the thread title appropriately.

$850, long journey coach tickets are not likely to be good cpp redemptions.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk. I have moved your question into the existing sticky thread discussing how to choose a transfer partner.

Originally Posted by elvey
I’m not supposed to mention the city pairs we are looking to travel between if I post in this particular sub-forum, right? so I’m not.
This is inaccurate. Please provide as much detail as you can, and we will point you to the most likely programs.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by elvey
I’m confused. I thought I should be able to, if I’m shopping around, get something like two cents per point value on air travel but I can’t even find 1cent/point. Am I not finding good value because I’m looking for coach tickets?
You did the right thing in embarking on your own research and coming to FT. And PTS did the absolute best ethical move in not discussing value with a customer. On this subject you and the travel seller have opposite interests.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Statman
I am not Beckles, but I get tremendous value transferring my MR points to ANA and redeeming them for roundtrip business class flights to Asia and Europe (between 75k to 100k depending on season).

Most airlines charge that amount for a ONE-WAY ticket.
I really need to dig deeper into some of the other programs, with my horde of MR points up to almost 500k I could probably find a nice vacation for my family of four.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:23 am

Good evening everyone, hope i am posting this question in the right location.... I am new to MR point redemption and i am hoping to be pointed in the right direction... i am looking to book a flight from miami to Madrid and i am trying to figure out best way to use my MR points to get besst value ticket... any input appreciated!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Hermanh
Good evening everyone, hope i am posting this question in the right location.... I am new to MR point redemption and i am hoping to be pointed in the right direction... i am looking to book a flight from miami to Madrid and i am trying to figure out best way to use my MR points to get besst value ticket... any input appreciated!
I’m guess you want to book J?

Your best bet is to book a cheap positioning flight from MIA - JFK/BOS, preferably on AA because you’d get FL access at MIA.

BOS/JFK - MAD is 34k avios one way during off peak days, 50k on peak days.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I’m guess you want to book J?

Your best bet is to book a cheap positioning flight from MIA - JFK/BOS, preferably on AA because you’d get FL access at MIA.

BOS/JFK - MAD is 34k avios one way during off peak days, 50k on peak days.
But a direct MIA-MAD flight on Iberia is 42,500 in regular season. It's hardly worth taking a positioning flight for 8,500 pts.
And if he's willing to slum it in Premium Economy it's only 31,750.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by just_jim
But a direct MIA-MAD flight on Iberia is 42,500 in regular season. It's hardly worth taking a positioning flight for 8,500 pts.
And if he's willing to slum it in Premium Economy it's only 31,750.
I hadn’t realized they resumed their MIA service
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:36 pm

first of all thanks for the reply! so what i am gathering from ur responce is that a good option would be for me to transfer MR points to iberia and book with their air miles from MIA-MAD?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hermanh
first of all thanks for the reply! so what i am gathering from ur responce is that a good option would be for me to transfer MR points to iberia and book with their air miles from MIA-MAD?
Yes but it would be smart to check for availability first. If you have questions on that I would refer you to the guides in the BA or IB forums
Old Jul 31, 2021, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Beckles
I really need to dig deeper into some of the other programs, with my horde of MR points up to almost 500k I could probably find a nice vacation for my family of four.
I have almost 400k MR and I also intend to use ANA's program. I don't think their program gets enough attention, but that's ok.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I have almost 400k MR and I also intend to use ANA's program. I don't think their program gets enough attention, but that's ok.
Between my spouse and I, we have >700K MR points. I keep hearing people saying how great a partner ANA is, but I could never find an available business seat in the summer (NYC to South East Asia) even during the pandemic. May be I am not doing it right .
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Between my spouse and I, we have >700K MR points. I keep hearing people saying how great a partner ANA is, but I could never find an available business seat in the summer (NYC to South East Asia) even during the pandemic. May be I am not doing it right .

​​​​​​It's great if you need one seat. Two is tough, Three is literally impossible and not worth it. Asia miles is way easier but more expensive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.