Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: VX Silver
Transferring to AeromeAero can give you great value on flights from Mexico to Europe or South America. Specially on the new Boeing 787-900, very nice product from AM.

Edit:
Example, I just flew my family from Amsterdam to Mexico City in Business class on Aeromexico (new metal, nice pod flat bed seats) for 45k MR points each plus $140.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Being mostly based in the US I don’t think Aeromexico would be for me. Plus I don’t travel much to South America or Central America.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
-200000 Hilton honors
-2 tickets Europe round trip economy or one business (Iberia)
-100000- Delta, depends promotion and flight, multiple possibilities

I would pick a combo of these offers.......
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:59 pm

I ended up transferring them all into SQ. Especially with AS can be helpful.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:07 am

Just off the top of their heads, does anyone know SQ’s sweet spot redemptions on them or any of their partner awards? This could be anywhere in the world. I found their availability in F out of AKL-LAX very good for only 98,000 seemed like a bargain to me, although it could’ve been J.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I ended up transferring them all into SQ. Especially with AS can be helpful.
Yea I usually dump my MRs into SQ but its becoming more difficult to make redemption via SQ. The last year and a half I havent had any waitlist clear although I am usually only looking for suites.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Yea I usually dump my MRs into SQ but its becoming more difficult to make redemption via SQ. The last year and a half I havent had any waitlist clear although I am usually only looking for suites.
What I am curious about is booking with some of their partners. There are so many different partners SQ has, does anyone have experience utilizing their partners like Virgin Australia or Virgin Atlantic? EVA? ANA? All the Star Alliance partners with really nice F?

I wouldn’t even know the first place to start? I assume United’s tool for star alliance availability, but I have no idea about award availability for their other partners.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

What I am curious about is booking with some of their partners. There are so many different partners SQ has, does anyone have experience utilizing their partners like Virgin Australia or Virgin Atlantic? EVA? ANA? All the Star Alliance partners with really nice F?

I wouldn’t even know the first place to start? I assume United’s tool for star alliance availability, but I have no idea about award availability for their other partners.
I've booked LH in F with krisflyer and ANA in F (the ANA flight I ended up not taking). I used expertflyer to search for availability. You have to pay the fuel surcharges etc which can add up to quite a bit though.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:44 am

Where to transfer 50k MR points for future overseas travel?

I have 50k points that I need to transfer out of MR now. My goal is to use them for economy tickets overseas sometime in the next year or two, most likely Europe but maybe Aus/NZ, South America, Asia, etc. I'm LAX based. I'm constrained by the school calendar, therefore I usually have to travel during peak times, so availability is important. Of course, I'd like to avoid/minimize fuel surcharges. Also, since I have about 30k Citi ThankYou points, any airline that also partners with Citi would let me top off points if needed.

I'm considering AF/KLM Flying Blue. Availability to Europe is great for 25k miles ow. They have fuel surcharges but they're not huge. However, the change to dynamic pricing in June makes me very nervous that I won't have enough points if I book after then.

Also considering Singapore KrisFlyer. Europe is only 27.5k miles ow, but most availability is with airlines like Lufthansa with huge fuel surcharges. If I'm going to pay $250 in fuel surcharges each way I might as well just buy a ticket. However, they do have good availability from LAX to Singapore with no fuel surcharge... visiting SE Asia might be interesting too.

I'm open to other programs too. What do you recommend?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jrobinson5
I have 50k points that I need to transfer out of MR now. ...What do you recommend?
I recommend that you apply for a FREE EveryDay or Blue Business Plus card, earn a small new account bonus for your trouble, and preserve your Membership Rewards balance until you are ready to redeem. By transferring on speculation you are giving up the flexibility which is one of the primary benefits.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I recommend that you apply for a FREE EveryDay or Blue Business Plus card, earn a small new account bonus for your trouble, and preserve your Membership Rewards balance until you are ready to redeem. By transferring on speculation you are giving up the flexibility which is one of the primary benefits.
Here is my situation. 2 years ago I got the Premier Rewards Gold card. The annual fee of $195 posted on March 29 (statement closed same day) and I decided it's not worth paying the fee to keep the card. From what I've read, I have until April 29 to cancel the card and get the $195 refunded. I'm not sure if that leaves me enough time to sign up for a new card. Plus I just signed up for 3 new cards (including 1 AmEx) earlier this month, so I think they'd be unlikely to approve me given that.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jrobinson
..... I'm not sure if that leaves me enough time to sign up for a new card. Plus I just signed up for 3 new cards (including 1 AmEx) earlier this month, so I think they'd be unlikely to approve me given that.
You could call to see if they make a retention offer.

I assume the American Express card that you recently opened does not participate in Membership Rewards. If it has been at least five days since your last American Express card application you could apply for another. You do not need to physically receive the card before you close the PRG to preserve the points. There is a grace period:

If we cancel your Linked Card Account for any of the following reasons, you’ll forfeit all points in your program account except as noted:

If we cancel your Linked Card Account due to inactivity, you have 90 days to use points in your program account before they are forfeited.
If we cancel your Linked Card Account in the event of your death, your executor or personal representative may request to use the points in your program account in a one-time redemption by calling us.
If we cancel your Linked Card Account by accident, points in your program account will not be forfeited.

If we cancel your Linked Card Account for any other reason (including bankruptcy or insolvency), you’ll forfeit all points in your program account.

If you voluntarily cancel your enrollment in the program (or if you are an Additional Business Card Member with your own separate program account and the Basic Business Card Member voluntarily cancels his/her enrollment in the program), but you keep at least one American Express® Card open and is not past due or canceled, you'll have up to 30 days from the date of cancellation to use any points in your program account.

If you voluntarily cancel your enrollment in the program (or if you are an Additional Business Card Member with your own separate program account and the Basic Business Card Member voluntarily cancels his/her enrollment in the program) and you don't keep open any American Express Cards, all points in your program account will be immediately forfeited.
https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...=footer-tandc#
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Any knowledge/speculation on what happens to MR-->SPG transfers with all the changes in the credit card relationships. Not a lot of love for that transfer here, but it works for me as I reaped a lot of 5X MR points at FedEx with the shipping and OPEN bonuses.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by jrjcopp
Any knowledge/speculation on what happens to MR-->SPG transfers with all the changes in the credit card relationships.
No knowledge.

The American Express Hilton cards earn $1 = 3 points for general spending, and the Membership Rewards to Hilton transfer ratio is 1000:2000.

The American Express Marriott cards will earn $1 = 2 points for general spending. The transfer ratio could be as high as 1000:1500, but I think it will be 1000:1000 as it was when Marriott user to be a Membership Rewards transfer partner, and as it is from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Marriott.

Last edited by mia; Apr 27, 2018 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
No knowledge.

The American Express Hilton cards earn $1 = 3 points for general spending, and the transfer ratio is 1000:2000.

The American Express Marriott cards will earn $1 = 2 points for general spending. The transfer ratio could be as high as 1000:1500, but I think it will be 1000:1000 as it was when Marriott user to be a Membership Rewards transfer partner, and as it is from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Marriott.
Thanks. So at 1000:1000 that would be unchanged since currently the ratio 1000:333 to SPG which is 1000 Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.