Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Thanks, I always thought 4 was the limit.

I don't keep a "card" just rotate in and out of various cards. I do spend a decent amount with them and not so long ago it was $0.00, so they are benefiting, just not as much as if I kept paying renewal fees.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Our family just picked up its 7th Biz Gold today. Whew! What a run...
Gotta finish spend on about the last 2 and a half of them. But when it's over, with referrals and spend, it will be 420K MR points. For no AFs! Thank you, Amex...

Without any transfer bonuses to BA, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dump those points into SPG. That's the one partner where Canada does better than the US: 1:0.5 v. 1:0.33

We all have our own best ways to use points, I get that, but for us, this is how I can see this shaking down:

420K MR = 210K SPG. Transfer to Alaska Airlines gets 260K Mileage Plan points. That's almost good for 3 one ways in F on the shower plane, DXB to North America! Each of those flights costs about $10K Canadian Pesos, so 7 Hard pulls gets us about 30K CPesos worth of flights. Fun!

Now it's onto the 20K + 10K SPG apps...
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Gotta finish spend on about the last 2 and a half of them. But when it's over, with referrals and spend, it will be 420K MR points. For no AFs! Thank you, Amex...

Without any transfer bonuses to BA, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dump those points into SPG. That's the one partner where Canada does better than the US: 1:0.5 v. 1:0.33

We all have our own best ways to use points, I get that, but for us, this is how I can see this shaking down:

420K MR = 210K SPG. Transfer to Alaska Airlines gets 260K Mileage Plan points. That's almost good for 3 one ways in F on the shower plane, DXB to North America! Each of those flights costs about $10K Canadian Pesos, so 7 Hard pulls gets us about 30K CPesos worth of flights. Fun!

Nice work Preacher!! Keep it up.

The only other thing I will add is that I wouldn't look at it that you are saving $30k since I am guessing you would have never even spent that much money on those flights. But certainly each person sees the value they are getting and evaluates it differently. Anyways, kudos to you! Enjoy your points
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:13 pm

7 Biz Gold cards in total in the family? that's $5K x 7 = $35K minimum spending, wow, I'm jealous

Too bad we're limited to only Aeroplan, Avios, or even SPG for "good partner transfers" in Canada, and Aeroplan YQ kept getting worse
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: *void
That includes the pet dog and orangutan, right?
Man, that's a LOT of Alpo and Bananas...do you buy a truckload at at time?

Way to go Preacher. Great to see someone with so much enthusiasm for munching cards!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:58 am

Thx guys. Most of the 35K spend was legit end of the year/beginning of the year business spend, actually. The offer just fell at the right time for us. I'll be off the grid for a while now. Tomorrow I fly to Asia and the trip will include long haul on these flights: Etihad F Suites, Singapore F and Emirates F Suites, on the shower plane. Last time I flew home from Dubai on that plane, there were just 3 of us in F: me, George Clooney and his fiancée, now wife! True story...

Thank you, Alaska Airlines! Happy Groundhog's Day, when I'm gone...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:17 am

that's not the most "optimal use" of MR points, but if it gets you what you want then it's perfect. thinking of doing same to transfer to krisflyer.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
that's not the most "optimal use" of MR points, but if it gets you what you want then it's perfect. thinking of doing same to transfer to krisflyer.
Singapore Suites are awesome, for sure! An all-time great redemption I would highly recommend...

I'm in the DFW Centurion Lounge right now, minutes from boarding our 16 hour Etihad Suites flight to AUH (btw, the DFW Cent Lounge beats the Etihad F lounge big time!). I will suggest this, perhaps for the last time, as the window to make this transfer is virtually over: transferring MR points to Aeros and then to USDM via points.com is a great way to get the AA miles you'd need to book Etihad F. It's a great aspirational redemption! Yes, you'll take a 16% loss on your MR points. But...Etihad Suites really is something special!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:28 am

Just curious...sounds like a few card applicants in your family. Did you manage to squeeze in two of the 40k FYF offers for one person? That thing only came up in October.

I'm hitting a "cancel" cycle. I would like to hit a second 40k/FYF biz gold offer, but I haven't held on to it long enough, let alone waited to re-apply.

Hope you're having a nice trip.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: *void
Preacher is probably off the grid now, unless there’s a wifi feed in the Shower Plane.

1) Amex usually* does not allow you to carry duplicate of the exact same card product (can have Gold Rewards and Biz Gold Rewards, but NOT 2 Biz Gold Rewards)

2) Amex usually* will not let you do a product change to switch to a different card

* ‘usually’, because there are some exceptions.

Preacher can confirm when he's back on Earth, but I believe he meant it was for 7 different family members/entities.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Preacher is probably off the grid now, unless there’s a wifi feed in the Shower Plane.

1) Amex usually* does not allow you to carry duplicate of the exact same card product (can have Gold Rewards and Biz Gold Rewards, but NOT 2 Biz Gold Rewards)

2) Amex usually* will not let you do a product change to switch to a different card

* ‘usually’, because there are some exceptions.

Preacher can confirm when he's back on Earth, but I believe he meant it was for 7 different family members/entities.
And Preacher will confirm! It was for 7 different family members, all human too--and all with the FYF/40K offer, plus referrals.

Just got off the DFW-AUH Etihad Suites flight. The food is the best in the sky! Etihad makes the personal chef concept work so well. Tomorrow we fly Etihad Biz to BKK. After that, it's really off the grid for a while...btw, there is no Etihad F to BKK.

We're overnighting at the Hyatt Capital Gate, free on points. Manager gave us a double room upgrade, a great suite! Favor. The free chauffeur Etihad offers is a great touch too. Google capital gate Abu Dhabi if you've never seen this building! It was built with 18 degree slant--very iconic!

It's midnight here, gonna try some sleep...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
But...Etihad Suites really is something special!
Also,
27800 Amex points = 20850 Etihad points = EY F AUH-BOM/IST
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
And Preacher will confirm! It was for 7 different family members, all human too--and all with the FYF/40K offer, plus referrals.

Just got off the DFW-AUH Etihad Suites flight. The food is the best in the sky! Etihad makes the personal chef concept work so well. Tomorrow we fly Etihad Biz to BKK. After that, it's really off the grid for a while...btw, there is no Etihad F to BKK.

We're overnighting at the Hyatt Capital Gate, free on points. Manager gave us a double room upgrade, a great suite! Favor. The free chauffeur Etihad offers is a great touch too. Google capital gate Abu Dhabi if you've never seen this building! It was built with 18 degree slant--very iconic!

It's midnight here, gonna try some sleep...
Nice! Nothing better than a Freeeee luxurious vacation
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:40 am

A quick question for the 'double dippers.'

If you hold a Canadian and a US AMEX card, can the points collected under each card be redeemed by either? In other words, if you collect 25,000 Canadian MR points, but also hold a US Gold, can you transfer them out under the US Gold account?

Goes without saying that the transfer partners on the US side are much better...

thank you!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I don't see this card being talked about as part of the Amex churn.

American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Card

Only 5K bonus, but it's got a 15K referral bonus.

I assume a $1 charge would suffice to get the 5K. For the 2 of us 40,000 total for $2 spend@:-)

Seems easier than the TD visa FYF via GCR which I've yet to attempt all for 25K. Wife has a free TD Inf Priv. so no go for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.