Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:54 pm

So, basically if you applied since Canada Day, you will not be getting the points. I have escalated to a supervisor and have sent the screenshots, so we'll see.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by moeykang
So, basically if you applied since Canada Day, you will not be getting the points. I have escalated to a supervisor and have sent the screenshots, so we'll see.
Why are you escalating and sending in screenshots? Thats pretty hasty.

Most likely this is going to result in the referral terms being changed a lot sooner...

Should have waited until you got your card and spent the $500
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:24 pm

^ I agree

Let's not raise attention to AMEX until we know what happens after we spend $500 first (with many of us getting the card THIS WEEK to spend $500 on quickly)

Assuming AMEX doesn't follow this thread
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:55 pm

Got my GOLD card today (applied July 1st), will spend $500 and report back

Darn, despite me not putting in existing AMEX Card # during application (trying to start clean)

They still linked it to my existing AMEX MR, hopefully this doesn't affect my welcome bonus
I have 3 cards on this AMEX MR account now. PLAT (Primary), Biz Gold & Gold as Secondary
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
I hope you didn't ruin this for the rest of us... Please at least report on the outcome of your inquiry.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Platinum, AeroplanPlus Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Got my GOLD card today (applied July 1st), will spend $500 and report back

Darn, despite me not putting in existing AMEX Card # during application (trying to start clean)

They still linked it to my existing AMEX MR, hopefully this doesn't affect my welcome bonus
I have 3 cards on this AMEX MR account now. PLAT (Primary), Biz Gold & Gold as Secondary
I received my Gold Rewards card today. (applied June 30th around 11 pm, so maybe I don't have to worry about the changed terms at all...)

I tried to create a new account and it worked. The system did not link it to my current account (which has Platinum, SPG and Aeroplan gold under it)
I will also report back after I hit the $500 spend.

Good luck to everyone!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:59 pm

If you have self referred and don't get the points you should escalate that to the supervisor as well...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 pm

Why and what do you want to see?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:27 am

Datapoint (kinda):

Applied June 30
Spent $500 july 3rd
25k posted July 7th

This was record time
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Datapoint (kinda):

Applied June 30
Spent $500 july 3rd
25k posted July 7th

This was record time
Did you have GOLD card before?
was this self-referral?

June 30 didn't have the new T&C yet though...
but good to know it should still post soon after crossing $500
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Did you have GOLD card before?
was this self-referral?

June 30 didn't have the new T&C yet though...
but good to know it should still post soon after crossing $500
Yup multiple times. Not a self ref, through a family member.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Datapoint (kinda):

Applied June 30
Spent $500 july 3rd
25k posted July 7th

This was record time
So the big IF is, the post June 30 applications. I did two referrals July 2, one self, and bonuses posted next day. Good start. Throughout the entire process (sending the referrals and applying from the email) I screenshot everything and no mention of the new T&C.

Received the email yesterday saying the application went through and still no mention of anything. Playing stupid, there is no way I knew of any policy change and that it could effect me getting bonus points from the Plat card I held a few years ago. During this entire process, I never ended up on the website that gave me details about the card (and the "footnotes").

I debated getting the Plat card again but getting the 60,000 points for the last time swayed me even though the declining benefits and high price has kept me away from it - especially since removing the Cathay Gold perk.

Getting points from Amex, either missing or in a timely fashion, has been a game I have been getting tired of. Expect this to be a struggle too. Don't care that much though. If there is no way of getting them they can have the card back. No one in their right mind is going to pay $700 for a card and get zero MR points.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
has anyone tried the AMEX Air Miles Reserve card?
Wondering how much the Air Miles FlexFly business class redemptions cost
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
has anyone tried the AMEX Air Miles Reserve card?
Wondering how much the Air Miles FlexFly business class redemptions cost
Sounds like FlexFly works like Tripflex for cards with Membership rewards. The points have a cash value. Says 770 airmiles = $100. So the sign-up from this card is worth $300 against a business class fare?

Doesn't sound too good, but I might be off on this description.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:19 pm

I've randomly been asked to send in a copy of my "Notice Of Assessment" as well as my last 3 bank statements in order to verify income. Does anyone have experience with this when it comes to Amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.