Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by Speedy12
"420K MR = 210K SPG. Transfer to Alaska Airlines gets 260K Mileage Plan points."

I am pretty new at this and may also fly Alaska Air as well. Wouldn't you be better off to convert 420k MR to 420k BA avios since you can use avios to book a reward flight on Alaska Air? I was looking to book YVR to LAX last month and if I remember correctly, it would have cost me 15k avios or the same or higher number of Alaska Air mileage plan pts.
And since I posted this, things have changed. You now can't book Emirates F with AS points, just Biz (unless you get a CSR who is willing to book things the old way, I understand). Emirates long-haul Biz is still good, but you don't get to shower at 40,000 feet, that's all! I just flew DXB-DFW this month in F and it was awesome again. Plus, 14 hours in the F lounge in DXB was also epic again! But now that F is almost impossible to book, the shine for me with AS miles has definitely dropped a few notches.

You could transfer SPG to AA and fly AUH-LHR in Etihad Apartments. That's the new best First class product out there, also with a shower. 40,000 AA miles for 7-8 hours of pretty great looking flying! I've got that flight coming up in May...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
For which card? AMEX Aeroplan * family cards?

Once you cross the threshold ($500 or blah), you'll see the miles on the next statement, then 2-3 days later the miles will show up in your Aeroplan account

They didn't show up as expected... messaged them... will prob get the same answer about 8-10 weeks.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
In the past year, I've had three issues of "not enough points".

In all three cases, I emailed and it turned out fine.

For the biz gold I got the "8-10 weeks" message. Not sure if I replied back saying that I thought the response was inadequate. Whatever the case, my points showed up within a two week period of sending my first message.

For the personal gold I did a self-referral and only got 15k points. I actually called in for that one and the guy seemed confused (i.e. suspicious). about my method of getting the card. Not wanting to rock the boat, I said bye and figured that would be the end of it. A couple weeks later, no email, and another 10k points showed up in my account.

Try again?

Referral bonuses show up no problem, as an aside.
I'm sure my points will be credited. I'll wait the 10 weeks, then call after that if points not credited by then.
Never had any issues with referrals. I once received MR points before for referring an Aeroplan card. It was my fault as I choose the wrong card, but I was credited the referral bonus.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
I'm sure my points will be credited. I'll wait the 10 weeks, then call after that if points not credited by then.
Never had any issues with referrals. I once received MR points before for referring an Aeroplan card. It was my fault as I choose the wrong card, but I was credited the referral bonus.
Was it 15,000?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1011TriStar
Usually you do not need to wait for that long. You should receive the 10k in about 6 weeks.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Why not? And whats so bad about an account freeze? They do it for your own security.
They froze it and demanded payment to be made right away before unfreezing?... I think they froze it not for my protection but because they were worried that I opened 2 accounts and spent this much $ right away. I'm not sure that's a good thing...?? Although, honestly, I don't get what the point of telling me that, yes, I can put that much $ on the card right away and then freezing it anyways?

Last edited by DealAddict; Feb 18, 2015 at 7:47 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Was it 15,000?
The referral amount was 15,000.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Usually you do not need to wait for that long. You should receive the 10k in about 6 weeks.
Hopefully. I'll wait the 10 weeks before contacting them again.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of fraud prevention process on new card accounts transferred:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-purchase.html
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
That includes the pet dog and orangutan, right?
Man, that's a LOT of Alpo and Bananas...do you buy a truckload at at time?

Way to go Preacher. Great to see someone with so much enthusiasm for munching cards!
Orang Hutans is not monkeys ...
They don't like bananas
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by DealAddict
They didn't show up as expected... messaged them... will prob get the same answer about 8-10 weeks.
Is Amex still having problem posting the signup bonus?

I hope I will go smoother for me this time around.
I just got approved for the biz gold to replace my personal gold today.

Hoping to see the self-referral bonus tomorrow.

BTW, has amex fixed the self referral loophole?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99

Sign up bonuses almost always have issues, but aside from that everything seems to be working smoothly for me. Just send in the missing point request asap and you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
What I'm seeing when I try to refer someone to the SPG Biz card is 10K for the person referring, but only 10K for the person getting the referral, not 20K, like for the personal SPG version. Is that right, or am I missing something? Somehow, I thought both personal and biz versions were giving 20K through the referral links.

The non-referral Biz apps are offering 20K to the applicant. Any way of getting a 20K Biz referral link?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Orang Hutans is not monkeys ...
They don't like bananas
Did you ever work in radio? Been a long time since I have read about Orange Utangs (that was the NB spelling).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:44 am

What loophole?

I am a friend of myself, as of this month anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.