Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rasheed
Unfortunately, AmEx's listed merchant categories on the posted transactions do not properly distinguish US Supermarkets from smaller grocery stores (which do not qualify for bonus rewards). Small stores that do not qualify will be listed the same, but will accrue the lower base rewards rate.

List of multi-location chains in the US that appear to qualify for bonus rewards (see at bottom for AmEx's rules on this subject):

Albertsons/Safeway family chains
Instacart
Kroger family chains (NOT Fred Meyer though - you need to purchase Kroger gift cards from another member supermarket in that case)
Meijer
Sprouts
Trader Joe's
Walmart - Neighborhood version
Whole Foods

Sometimes individual locations may not work.

At: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...fo/retail.html, AmEx says as follows:
U.S. Supermarkets

To earn additional rewards on supermarket purchases, the supermarket must be located in the U.S.

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.

(Superstores, convenience stores and warehouse clubs are NOT considered supermarkets.)

Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Gristedes
• Foodtown
• Meijer
• Shoprite
• Stop and Shop
• Vons
• Whole Foods
• Winn-Dixie
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Specialty stores (e.g., fish markets, cheese shops, wine shops, and other specialty food stores )
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)
• Warehouse clubs (e.g. BJ's Club)

Supermarket FAQs

What isn’t included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Specialty food stores, small corner grocery stores, gourmet shops, natural food stores and large superstores including online superstores (e.g. Amazon), warehouses clubs (e.g. BJ's Club) and big box stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) are examples of merchants that are NOT eligible for additional rewards.

I think I should have earned additional rewards on a purchase, what should I do?

If you have questions about whether you should have received additional rewards, please call the number on the back of your Card.

How do you define a Supermarket where I earn additional rewards?

A supermarket offers a wide variety of food and household products such as meat, fresh produce, dairy, canned and packaged goods, household cleaners, pharmacy products and pet supplies.
Print Wikipost

What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Alright, thanks for the tutorial Ben and rasheed.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:32 pm

Location: San Francisco Bay Area (originally Melbourne Australia)
Since I couldn't find any info on it, I just wanted to add that "Grocery Outlet Bargain Market" is considered a supermarket on the AmEx cards. I shopped at a few using an AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card and they all got the 6% cash back.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Daniel15
Since I couldn't find any info on it, I just wanted to add that "Grocery Outlet Bargain Market" is considered a supermarket on the AmEx cards. I shopped at a few using an AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card and they all got the 6% cash back.
Is AmEx acceptance new for them? Last time I went to one around here (admittedly a while ago), they didn't accept it.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Is AmEx acceptance new for them? Last time I went to one around here (admittedly a while ago), they didn't accept it.
Not sure, sorry! I just got an AmEx for the first time this month. Perhaps only some stores take AmEx?

Definitely worked for me though:

Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:29 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by tmiw
Grocery Outlet is franchised, so I suppose each location can set its own policies. I don't think the parent company provides card processing.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by cbn42
Grocery Outlet is franchised, so I suppose each location can set its own policies. I don't think the parent company provides card processing.
I would guess they do as a way to ensure payment to corporate for the groceries provided to the store. There is no chance that an independent franchise would get their store classified for the supermarket category otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by rasheed

There is no chance that an independent franchise would get their store classified for the supermarket category otherwise.
Why not? There are plenty of non-chain supermarkets that code as supermarkets.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by cbn42
Why not? There are plenty of non-chain supermarkets that code as supermarkets.
I have only seen AmEx classify those that had more than one location. Of course, I can always be proven wrong, but I have not had the chance to see one off markets get to the bonus level.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:51 am

I have only seen AmEx classify those that had more than one location. Of course, I can always be proven wrong, but I have not had the chance to see one off markets get to the bonus level.
For what it's worth, there's a local grocery store near me that's not a big chain (they just have two stores), and Amex classifies them as a supermarket and I get the 6% cash back there.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: AS 75k
There's a small, one location, grocery store near where my mother lives that gets 4x.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
There's a single-location liquor store with a deli and small convenience food selection down the street from me. Was pleasantly surprised to see my Macallan and Famous Grouse purchase code as supermarket.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:41 pm

My local Kroger (King Soopers -- Colorado) counts as a supermarket if you go through the regular cashiers, but not as a supermarket when you go through self-checkout. Same physical location. Very frustrating.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Don't know if this has been posted, but multiple Aldi locations post at 4x on my Gold card and 6x on my Hilton Surpass.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Does anyone know if Shipt is classified as Groceries? I'm using them a lot lately from Ralphs, Smart & Final and other grocery stores, similar to Instacart
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:25 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Does anyone know if Shipt is classified as Groceries?
No. See discussion here beginning at post 1335:

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.