Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Amex cards of the same type

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Multiple Amex cards of the same type

Does anyone know if Amex will let you have multiple active cards of the same type?

If they won't let you apply for a card you already have, has anyone tried product changes from related products? For example could I apply for a BCP and then have them convert a BCE to BCP, resulting in 2 BCPs?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:28 pm

At one point I did have two Blue cards... I've since converted one to Everday. (I ended up with two Blue's because of a conversion, as well.)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by devnull
Does anyone know if Amex will let you have multiple active cards of the same type?

If they won't let you apply for a card you already have, has anyone tried product changes from related products? For example could I apply for a BCP and then have them convert a BCE to BCP, resulting in 2 BCPs?
This will answer part of your question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
At one point I did have two Blue cards... I've since converted one to Everday. (I ended up with two Blue's because of a conversion, as well.)
Thanks, so it looks like this "backdoor" way will probably work. I'll update with my experience when I try it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
This will answer part of your question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html
Thanks, but while I didn't read the entire thread (just the first few pages), this seems to be only for signup offers. I wouldn't be doing this with the intention of obtaining signup offers (which I realize I can't); it would be for reasons like doubling BCP/EDP rewards thresholds.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:07 am

Hello, could you share your experience? Thank you.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:42 pm

Can I have 2 of the same Amex card at the same time?

Hi,

I've been targeted twice for the BRG card, one offering 75,000 MR after spending $10K and the other offering 75,000 MR after spending $5K. Can I get both of them? I've already applied and gotten approved for the first one about 2-3 weeks ago and now have this second mailer. I tried to apply for my wife, but I can't edit the name in the online application. I actually have 2 legitimate businesses so I can try that, but wasn't sure if getting a second one was restricted by SSN.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by solstys
Can I get both of them?
Are you only asking about having two cards, or about two new account bonuses? What do the terms of the unused offer say about bonus eligibility?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by solstys
Hi,

I've been targeted twice for the BRG card, one offering 75,000 MR after spending $10K and the other offering 75,000 MR after spending $5K. Can I get both of them?
2 browsers simultaneously may have approved both (maybe not).

At the least if you call and get a supervisor you should be able to get the reduced spend applied.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Are you only asking about having two cards, or about two new account bonuses? What do the terms of the unused offer say about bonus eligibility?
Actually, I was asking about both. But I wouldn't necessarily want the second card if I can't get the second bonus also. But I'm not even familiar with if Amex will approve a second same card if the first is still open.

Neither of the terms mentions anything about the once per lifetime bonus or having the card already. The terms do mention "Limit one offer per Card Account" - but I assume that just means each account is limited to one offer.

I would love to get both offers if that's possible.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I'd probably be able to answer your question.

Can you get both sign up bonuses on an Business Gold Rewards Card? Yes IF you have an RSVP.

For example.
I applied for the first one and got an 75k bonus. Costco broke up with AMEX so AMEX reached out to most business owners offering them an RSVP code for the Business Gold Rewards Card which I already had. Agent confirmed since I have an RSVP code I'd be eligible for an 75k bonus. Received bonus almost immediately when target met.

On the other hand, 2 other family members have the BRG card because of the 100k 3x bonus cap. The Annual fee of $175 when paid is easily off set by the extra points received. So since both applied there 2nd cards without an RSVP, they do not qualify for the 2nd sign up bonus. I'm not sure about having 3 of the BRG card but I've seen people have 3 Chase Freedom cards. We haven't got to the point where we will need 3 of the same card yet but we might soon.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Hi guys,

So similar to TennisNoob, I was targeted (online) for the BRG card for 75,000 after $5000. I applied and got the bonus. Then in the offer's section of my account, it says I've been pre-approved for the BRG card again, except this time 75,000 after $10,000 with no exclusion language on the offer (it doesn't say bonus only for first time applicants). Do you think if I apply, that I'll get the bonus again? Should I pull the trigger?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Can you screen shot the new offer? I never get anything like that an 2nd follow up offer.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Can you screen shot the new offer? I never get anything like that an 2nd follow up offer.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:41 pm

Does anyone know if this still works?

Few months ago husband had 100k personal platinum offer with no lifetime language that we applied for, and received bonus. Today, we received the SAME offer again, new RSVP code.

anyone know if he can apply for this card as well? He still has the Platinum from the above (bonus just posted today, ironically enough)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.